Green Lake Elementary School 4

Posted July 19, 2014
I don't normally post reviews anywhere, but as we recently relocated and trying to find reliable accurate information about schools has been a nightmare I felt I should do my duty. I had 3 children attend Green Lake for 2 years. We were welcomed into the community and had great experiences with the younger grades. I cannot speak 2nd grade, but we loved our time at Green Lake. Very active PTO. Very social community. School needs an update, but they work well with what they have. Nice, but firm and seemingly involved principal. Parents are welcome at the school anytime and they are happy to put you yo work in the classrooms.

Posted March 03, 2014
We are in our 6th year at greenlake and cannot say enough wondeful things about it. The teachers are incredibly dedicated and innovative. They spearheaded the move to multiage classrooms which has created a callaborative and continuous learnin experience for our child. The parent involvement is huge. Our child is entering middle school next year in advanced math and with excellent writing skills.

Posted June 03, 2013
It is true that the OSPI Accountability Index Score went down because the Science and Writing Tests were lost. According to the State Superintendent's Office Green Lake mistakenly returned these test booklets to the vendor with their package of 'not to be scored materials'. I agree with the previous post that the district and the principal should better publicize the fact that the low Accountability Index score is because of the lost tests. While they are at it they should also do a more accurate job of explaining how those tests went missing.

Posted June 01, 2013
As a teacher at this school, I feel it necessary to correct the previous poster. While it is true that the science and writing scores did go down, what is NOT publicized is that this is due to the fact that our science and writing scores were LOST by the testing company and all those scores were reported as zeros! Some have now been found and the numbers are quite different. For example, there were only 3-4 students who did NOT pass the science test; a decidedly different score than those reported. I wish that this information was made more public, but alas...

Posted April 07, 2013
We loved this school until it switched to a multi-age program last year (all grades except kindergarten are splits of grades 1 and 2 or grades 3,4, and 5). For 3 years in a row the Washington State Board of Education Achievement Index rated us around 4.5 (aka good). Last year our rating dropped to a 2.6 (fair, but just .2 above struggling). We were given 1s (struggling) in every category for Science and Writing. The big drop in our test scores makes me wonder if the change to the new program was the right choice. To see the complete report use the new link below and type in Green Lake's school code of 2061. https://eds.ospi.k12.wa.us/WAI/IndexReport

Posted July 18, 2012
Green Lake Elementary School is the best school ever. It truly, honestly coud not get any better. This is coming from a now 6th grader who just left Green Lake after 6 years. Best 6 years of my life. I made no enemies and all the teachers are EPIC. I love GLES!!! This place will always be my favorite school no matter what. So if your looking for a school, this is the place for you. You DEFINETLY wont regret it. GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!

Posted May 24, 2012
Simply put, Greenlake is an outstanding school where the teachers and staff are committed to the academic, physical and moral education of the children entrusted to them. I have a son and a daughter in this school and they are thriving and enjoying the classroom (this comes after my son spent two years at a school where he hated to attend and was labeled as a having a behavioral issues). The Principal is accessible and involved and there are more programs and volunteers than anyone could hope for, so much that I feel my children are receiving a private school education. They also have a great program for children with special needs which is integrated into the school. The PTA could do a better job reaching out to new parents (we seem to be on the outside trying to find a way in to this group), but they care about the school's success nonetheless.

Green Lake Elementary School 2

Posted January 31, 2011
We transferred into this school in fourth grade, after going to private school, and have been underwhelmed by the experience. The school is not a very welcoming place for newcomers, the curriculum is okay but administered haphazardly, and parental involvement is divided between the PTA folks who are very involved and the others that no one ever sees even at events their children are participating in. The staff has changed since several of them decamped for the reopened McDonald Elementary; it could be argued that the good folks were cherry picked and the 'ok' ones remain. All that said, we love Mr Kunkel and cannot think of enough good things to say about him. School has band, swim lessons at Green Lake Evans Pool, all classes have vocal music this year, and a full time school nurse (and of course, the north end school for special populations - formerly known as the handicapped kids who are well-integrated into the larger population). They are trying hard to make lemonade out of the lemon of a school they are stuck with, but sometimes I wish they had tried for remodeling money when the district was flush with cash.

Green Lake Elementary School 0

Posted May 06, 2010
This is a wonderful school with an absolutely outstanding PTA/Community!

Posted January 22, 2010
I grow more disappointed every year about this school. This is our third year in the school and we feel that things swing in different directions but no one really knows which road to take. Wonder if my kid is really learning in depth or just being taught to fulfill fit the district requirements. I don't think kids are aloud freedom to express themselves fully in their work like writing (content) but the teachers are more interested in wether they are drawing their words perfectly to their district standards. The different learning styles and types of intelligence are not being taken in consideration when teaching or addressing each child needs. The school has some good things in place but they are not being use to their full extent. The parent community is very involved but mostly they are the veteran parents the new ones seem a bit lazy.

Green Lake Elementary School
2400 North 65 St, Seattle, WA  98103
Last modified Green Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Green Lake Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews.