Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I wish we'd moved my daughter here a year earlier. Fantastic school - excellent resources and really great teachers. As a real bonus, we're supporting our neighborhood and getting to know other families nearby. Much safer for all. This school deserves a MUCH better reputation.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They don't show honesty or integrity, so how do they expect the kids to learn it??

My niece attends this school and her mother always was met with rudeness and irritability from the new principal and vice principal. My niece was having a hard time with bullies and tried to speak with the new school counselor, who just lectured her about why she didn't tell the playground monitor. She was in tears and was not supported at all! Her teachers and some of the outside supports the school has had in past years were helpful, but these new people in the office, especially the principal is rude and doesn't seem to care about the kids!!

Looks like a newer construction with a great office staff and engaging programs, the teachers seem to have great programs for the children. 1st day but I really enjoyed meeting everyone and listening in on classes.

This school is focused on all of the wrong things. The staff and the entire school revolves around the students with the "behavioral issues". Many students are completely ignored unless they act out. There are children of parent volunteers whom rules do not apply. The principle is unreasonable and has no real focus other than to flex his authority. An excellent vice principle who was new to the school last year has left due to being "unable to enact real positive change." After 3yrs I am happy my child will by starting 3rd grade at a different school. I hope things improve for the students who will still be attending.

Can't say enough about this school! Loved it from 1st to 5th! I think because of the bad scores which are almost impossible to change with so much esl, that the teachers worked overtime to care for and teach the kids in very creative and fun ways! They would constantly have fun learning events for the kids . I have never seen teachers pour their hearts into their jobs as much as here. And as far as the education goes, my daughter went on to virtually skip a grade at a great math academy and I know it's because Highland Park continued to challenge her since the first grade and provide many learning experiences that most schools don't have time for. She even had a teacher take some kids to meet the mayor, in her free time! Not counting the great drama and music opportunities that they offer the kids, they also do fun WASL prep. And for the parents worried about not seeing much homework coming home, it's the budget cuts. When my daughter first started we had tons of paper coming home but I was told in later years that teachers were forced to pay for their own paper so they began conserving and condensing home assignments. And a very healthy and diverse cafeteria menu!

I have a first grader. I'm not seeing much writing coming home so it is hard to evaluate growth in this skill. I'd like to see more writing.

Everything about Highland Park is great. Our twin sons love it there, the teachers seem to really care about the children. It is a great environment for learning.

As far as the principal leadership goes she is good as long as what she is doing only has to do with the children and their needs. Other that that she knows how to put on a show... And a good one for evening events. All the rest of the staff at this school rocks! caring, loving teachers that only want the very best for all the kids. Spend time at this school and make up you own mind.

I think they are trying hard to change what others think. There are many spirit days and things going on. I met the principal Ann Gray at an afterschool activity night last week, and she was serving pizza and was very kind as far as I could tell. There does seem to be a big turn around in staff, but I'm not sure why.

Last modified Highland Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.