Posted August 09, 2014
Fantastic education, with active students and parents which helps make for a involved and well funded school. No wonder this school rates a 10 year over year ...

Posted July 18, 2013
John Hay is an excellent school with superb teachers and staff. I attended Hay for four years and was welcomed in second grade with open arms. Every teacher I had was amazing and pushed every student in the class to try their hardest. With a principal who prevents bullying, makes sure students are safe, and encourages hardwork it's easy to feel like a part of the community within days. This is an outstanding school and I'm glad it was part of my life. I will never forget this school.

Posted March 05, 2013
Superb school. When we came to John Hay we were moving from a private school experience which we thought would be very difficult to top - John Hay did it in spades. The teachers are excellent with over half of them holding masters degrees. The front office is second to none - Angie and Wendy know every childs name in that school and are always kind and helpful. Mr. Sturm the gym teacher is the friendliest man around and Ms. Hanson is a strong and fun-loving principal. Teachers work hard to challenge children at all levels and the education my children have received has been excellent. There is an amazing group of parents who are always volunteering and it makes for a wonderful community. You'd be hard pressed to find a better school anywhere.

Hay Elementary School 1

Posted August 09, 2011
We had hoped it was going to be as good as the ratings but we had a very poor experience last year and pulled our son out as a result. We moved over to Seattle mid year and got a third grade teacher for our son that the the teacher who was rigid, outdated, and a very poor communicator. From the first week when my son was trying to transition to a new school he was kept in from recess almost daily. I tried to work with her, explaining he had focus issues and had never been in trouble before she didn't answer emails. The principle was sympathetic but she said she had known the teacher wasn't a good fit but the school was full to the top and there wasn't any where to move him. We felt we had no where to turn or much support. Since we left we have been approached by several parents that she has been a big problem for many years but no action was taken. I would not recommend John Hay.

Hay Elementary School 3

Posted August 26, 2010
This is a GREAT school from an education stand point. I do find the school to be clicky, buy I am not there to make friends so to speak. There is a lot of parent involvement in the school and classrooms and as a result some parents do seem to get what they want. It can be annoying as favoritism is definitely noticeable. People say it doesn't happen etc but it does. Teachers can be great but as in most cases it depends on who you get. NOT all the teachers are great. This school can be a blessing and a curse as the education is awesome but the school has its downsides. I am sure most parents won't agree with this, but once you have had a bad experience at the school it changes how you view it.

Hay Elementary School 0

Posted May 18, 2010
High academic standards and performance! Awesome staff who work very hard and love working together! Children have fun and get along well while learning important life skills! Parents are a wonderful part of our team and always welcome. So, children, teachers, staff, parents all contribute to the best school I've ever seen or been in! John Hay rocks!!!

Hay Elementary School 0

Posted May 17, 2010
Teachers, staff, parents and community support are all what make John Hay a wonderful school.

Posted May 11, 2010
Fantastic support from the parents and the community!

Posted May 06, 2010
I love John Hay for the teachers, the community and the kids! It's a great place to learn and grow.

Posted May 04, 2010

Hay Elementary School
201 Garfield St, Seattle, WA  98109
Last modified Hay Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hay Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 74 reviews. Top