Posted August 14, 2014
My son just completed his first year in kindergarten and I saw sophisticated and comprehensive teaching during kindergarden. I tutored one-hour per week and saw a lot of incredible classroom management. I was especially impressed with the kids doing jumping-jacks while spelling their weekly words. For the volunteers, the teachers set up kits with directions and fun/leason activities to direct the students through. They were prepared! Our child enjoyed school and developed a lot of friendships. One thing that was striking to me as a volunteer was how bright so many of the kids are. I also appreciate the positive-discipline that is used to coach students into attentive behavior. Besides a gentle but firm voice they had cards on the wall like penalty cards in a soccer game and everyone started with green and if a child got too chatty or disruptive they would have to change there card to Orange and then Red (meaning a talk with the parents). It was an effective tool because the kids were active in the process and could get back to green with respectful behavior. I attended a mostly white school growing up and I greatly appreciate the true diversity of kids and parents.

Posted August 10, 2014
My son is entering 5th grade this fall and has been at Madrona K-8 since kindergarten. He has had a great experience throughout - excellent teachers and supportive staff. We look forward to four more years at Madrona before he heads to Garfield.

Posted July 30, 2014
We begin our 3rd year at MK8 this fall and simply love the school, the students, the staff, and families. We are welcomed by numerous teachers and families everytime we walk into the school. Our child struggled academically and behaviorally, and MK8 gave the extra individual help with core subjects and did weekly small group work to build his social skills....but he didn't feel singled out, nor did he look to be. They just know every child by name and need! The attitude is that every child will succeed and our kid believes he will. We do too! He has great friends and is caught up. The school is diverse and knows how to individualize the education for its students.

Posted July 30, 2014
We just finished kindergarten and felt fortunate to have one of the most amazing teachers we could ask for in public or private school. She had a command over her students while being soft spoken, gentle and loving. My child's experience was positive and the diversity is one of the greatest assets at the school, teaching real relationship building and understanding of similarities and differences without judgement.

Posted July 30, 2014
My children have been at Madrona since kindergarten and have loved it each and every year. They are challenged academically, have great friends, and wonderful enrichment programs during and after school (music, art, field trips, etc.)

Posted June 20, 2013
My kid loves this school, and so do we (the parents). The teachers are exquisite, the principal is a star, and the families we've met are wonderful. This place cultivates a love of academic learning and provides an exposure to the richness of real life.

Posted June 14, 2013
Madrona K-8 is a WONDERFUL school! Our daughter is there and was in Mrs. Innocents Kindergartens class this year and had an amazing year. The staff are all great with the kiddos, they really care about each and every student, parents are very involved and the art, science, music, PE, field trips, computer lab, reading, writing, musicals, talent shows, park trips, family picnics, library trips all have overwhelmed us with their greatness! We love this school!!!!

Posted March 08, 2013
My son and daughter attend this school and we could not be happier with their experience. The school is small enough that they are well known by the staff and teachers, even those they have not had. All the teachers we have had have been passionate about the school and the students. I feel my students are challenged to learn, not over looked. Also the school feels like a community - people really care about it and they students. I also appreciate how this school has truly racially integrated classrooms, especially given that almost all the other schools in the central cluster are highly segregated by program (APP or Montessori verses general ed). I believe the experience they are having making friends with people who are different then them will serve them well throughout their lives.

Posted March 19, 2012
A wonderful school that is a hidden gem. Many folks judge it based on limited exposure. The staff is dedicated and the students wonderful. Does it have students that can cause challenges? Yes, of course it does. All schools do. This is one of those times where you need to go in and judge for yourself. Don't listen to reviews on a website, go visit the school. Take a tour, then decide. Most parents that tour are wonderfully surprised! My kids have had a wonderful experience and are challenged everyday! They also feel comfortable and loved at Madrona K-8.

Madrona K-8 2

Posted May 22, 2011
I used to volunteer at this school through a Practicum class that I was taking at the University of Washington. It was a very difficult school to volunteer at because the majority of the students were disrespectful and everyday I was constantly breaking up a fight. I would watch children on the playground from inside, while a supervisor was outside and a fight broke out with everyone chanting "Fight, Fight, Fight" but the supervisor did not do anything and let the kids continue to fight. Discipline is horrible at this school because they have these things called Madrona moments, which do not help at all. Lots of the children cuss and are bullies to other students. The teachers complain about working there and I have seen them blow up in front of the kids. Part of the problem is that a lot of these children come from families that have lots of stress and violence. Madrona does not provide a safe, welcoming environment for students to work in. If I had children, I would never let them go to school here.

Madrona K-8
1121 33 Av, Seattle, WA  98122
Last modified Madrona K-8 is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Madrona K-8 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews.