Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Because of the lack of leadership they are sending a lot of children from the school to prison pipeline... They allow bullying, these poor kids will end up in a bad place under there leadership; this is why I am getting mine out..

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

Develops character: Strongly agree

They grow and allow bullies to flourish in this school.

I have 2 children that attend here, K and 5th. My oldest has been here since kindergarten. We have came across a couple great teachers who have a passion for what they do, some are just there to gain experience and a pay check. The leadership of top staff the Principal and asst. Principle are very low... They allow children to be bullied and do everything to cover themselves when parents speak up about it. i guess there used to or think parents of color (Black) don't care about there children (Wrong). If you send your child here remember you are your child's best advocate. Most everything about this school is mediocre theirs no real push or care for the success of the children. the lesson plans are not quality... If there were to be a change at the top this school I believe would no longer be a school at the bottom.

I used to love this school when my first child attended here. I now don't like it, especially the way that African American kids are treated differently in comparison to non African American children. Most of the teachers are good but I don't like the leadership. The principal and head teacher (Asst. Principal) seemed like they were unconcerned with my concerns with my children. I choose to send my child to another school this year.

Both of my children (4th & 2nd grade) have been attending JM since Kindergarten and are both happy and learnng well due to the excellent teachers, support staff and strong leadership of Principal Mrs. Awnie Thompson. There are a few ELL students and the school has staff that speak Vietnamese, Chinese, Somali, Spanish to name a few. Although, the test scores are low, this school is one of the most diverse - racially,, culturally and socio-economically which brings about more awareness and respect for each other and our world community. They have a zero tolerance anti-bullying policy and are hyper-sensitive in solving any type of bullying (even silent bullying). They have an awesome art program and physical education program, and Spectrum (advanced learning) program. At JM there are after school programs provided through Powerful Schools for a minimal cost. There is also onsite before and after school care provided by Kids Co. The teachers and staff are just as diverse as the student body. Strong PTA and parental involvement. Don't judge a school just by test scores alone! Take a tour and see how happy the kids are learning and getting along.

We have a first grader at John Muir and my wife and I have been very impressed. So far we have had two excellent teachers, both experienced and dedicated. There is excellent community support and an active PTA. The principal, Awnie Thompson, is exceptional and she is highly involved from my interactions. Additionally, we are happy with the diversity of the school, the spectrum program, and the community overall. While test scores are low for this school overall they are improving year over year in the setting of a very socioeconomically mixed population, which I think is evidence of the good teaching.

I have three children at Muir and love the school and the caring staff. The teachers go the extra mile and the principal and office staff are great at communicating with parents. The school does a lot for the community and is very diverse. My children love Muir and so do I!

I'm a parent of multiple children at John Muir and I haven't got a clue what the prior parent is talking about. My kids are scattered in classes with different teachers at different levels. Each is having a great experience at Muir--not only are they learning but they are enjoying school more than ever.

I am really disappointed about the leadership of JM. Since my daughter has started at JM we have seen very little academic learning/structure in the classroom. There are few teachers that provide solid foundation if you are lucky to get one(1) of them.Our experience has been that the lack-of-quality education does not extend to All classroom, which says alot about diversity. There a few teachers that lack quality experience.

Last modified John Muir Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.