Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I have had three kids at Van Asselt, starting 7 years ago. We have had a great experience. Our first child was an above-average learner, and he was given special opportunities to stretch himself, including advanced math, reading challenges and after school sports. Our second child is "2E", meaning he has both giftedness and a very impacting learning disability. He has been given great adaptations through his Individual Learning Plan, but also ways to stretch like violin lessons, choir, school musical, teachers who encourage him to bring his inventions to school. He has gotten great support from the school counselor when he was discouraged and stressed. And the counselor was there for me in a crisis moment as well. Our third child has significant developmental delays, and has been protected, supported, challenged and even cherished at Van Asselt. Technology and science are also emphasized. Curriculum includes a strong emphasis of emotional intelligence and empathy. I love Van Asselt because my kids are learning to work and grow in a diverse environment, taking direction and seeing leadership from adults of many cultures. Principal turnover has been high, unfortunately. We have seen three. But there is a great stable core of staff members, and the new staff being hired are of the highest caliber. The current principal is a really focused leader, making partnerships to bring in great resources for the school, such as City Year volunteers in the classrooms. I also have to mention the teaching assistants. They have brought such a family feel to our experience, knowing the kids, providing support when the kids are down, giving them positive messages. We feel so grateful that Van Asselt just happens to be our neighborhood school.

The principle is very hardworking lady and teachers but the front ladies not friendly no saying hi or friendly welcome and their tone of language is loud while they speaking to kids.Please show some respect the parents.

this school year that just ended were my two youngest first time ever in public school. They had a hard time adjusting but they fell in love with the school. the principal and staff at this school were very supportive. My children came home everyday with something new to show or tell me. The teachers are excellent teachers who want to see their students succeed. I am glad I decided to let them attend this school and they are already talking about the upcoming school year.

This school has surpassed all requirements and continously succeeds. The teachers and staff are dedicated to the students and Parents participations are tremendous.

Last modified Van Asselt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.