Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Some statements in the other reviews don't reflect my experience. I've never heard that a math teacher or any teacher has screamed at my children who both attended Whitman. My 1st child was in the advanced math program and had a super great math teacher who should be nominated for teacher of the year. My second child wasn't in advanced math but had a good teacher. My 2nd didn't learn as much as I hoped he would. All kids have the chance to pass Algebra 1 by 8th grade which puts them ahead of several other middle schools. There were school field trips every year: for example Seattle Children's Theatre Sherlock Holmes, Seattle Symphony @ Benaroya Hall, King Tut Exhibit, Woodland Park Zoo, Golden Gardens. To quickly summarize the rest: Science is uninspiring, Foreign Language excellent, Orchestra & Band excellent, Art teacher great, LA and Social studies mixed, New Gym teacher excellent, Parent led drama productions - excellent, Principal could be a stronger leader, In general teachers are good and some great. With leadership to push the envelope a little this could be a great school. School overall is improving.

The math program for sixth grade is terrible, the math teachers at whitman would scream and yell at my child if they did not get the questions right. my child would come home in tears. My child had a very hard time getting to and from classes. the passing periods are only three minutes long, and with the amount of students and with the size of the school it is practically impossible to get to your classes fast enough. The bathrooms are disgusting, the floors are always dirty. My student was told not scrape her chair on the floor because they are made of asbestos. The children there are rude and they have a major bullying problem. My child has been told many sexual remarks which are completely inappropriate. My child has learned every bad word and sexual reference there is. I was appalled when she came home and said what had happened to her that day. My child will not be attending Whitman anymore. It took all summer and 3 different tutors to get my child caught up.

I like it at Whitman, there are plenty of electives and afterschool activities and sports! I am a student there and do not understand why other recent reviewers would say there is no activities at all, it has more activities then most other schools I toured. The kids there are friendly and I like all my teachers, sometimes administrative staff can favor different groups of students and forget to discipline those groups but this happens rarely. I think people only rate Whitman so bad because of its reputation, it is truly not a bad school and I look forward to continuing my education there because I have learned a lot since I started going there.

It's truly an awful school... We on the tour in my sons 4th grade year, and it sounded great. That was back in 2010. The principal seemed great and there was lots of elective choices. He started in 2012 and it was awful. Staff Do not care, people are rude, extremely overcrowded. My Child learned the most sexual and awful things in 6th grade. Awful test scores, needed two tutors for grade-level math because they simply do not teach it. No electives/ after school activities. I mean None. My child faced awful bullying and came home in tears. The principal did not stay and neither did any staff members for over a semester. Everyone leaves. There is no science, all they do is Advisory (greetings) only three labs in 6th grade year. Zero field trips because they can not afford it. LA was okay, but nothing great. There is 15 portables because of the size. Bathrooms were gross. By 7th grade we moved schools, and now he is way behind. Thanks a lot Whitman.

Whitman Middle School - the LA program has serious problems. overindulgent and innappropriate teacher has long history of becoming entwined with the students usualy ending poorly. No anti bullying policy in place. Administration is interested in defraying issues and problems without considering the best plan for the student. My girls have never felt safe there. While this is typical of petty bearacracies, Whitman Middle School has serious communication issues. We are in agreement with the other reviews about Whitman. Too bad it is in such a vital part of Seattle..

If you want your child to learn math, don't send them to this school. There's a tremendous amount of homeschooling/tutoring in math, because Whitman just doesn't teach it. Students have to "discover" it. The LA department is great. Science is non-existent. Yes, there are good teachers to support, but their administration does not. The administration specializes in how to say "We can't help" in bureaucratic language. You have to work around them and so we do. But they have been aware of the problems in their math program for years and have failed to correct it. Principal is great with administration, but she couldn't lead her way out of a paper bag. I am a parent who is very involved in the Whitman community. I have been tremendously disappointed. Good music program though.

I went to this school in 6th and 7th grade (Not 8th grade because I moved) and this is by far the best Middle school I have been in. The teachers do really care, and a my teacher specifically helped me become better at math, which might I add I wasnt so good at. Well I moved to Tacoma and now go to Giaudrone Middle school (3 out of 10 stars in great school grade) and I didn't know I had such an amazing life in Seattle until I moved to Tacoma. Now I feel as if I dont have a future at this school because the teachers are intelligent and they do push your thinking but they stray from topics. They start talking about their own life which is nice that they are open about telling their current whereabouts of they're family but please I just want to learn. Giaudrone made me realize that Whitman is one of the best middle schools ever. Our teachers striked for weeks on end when we should have been studying and I lost all those weeks worth of review. (Yeah I said it everything at Giaudrone is a review nothing new) I do highly recommend Whitman for it's safe neighborhoods and caring teachers, but if your looking for an art or sports school this isn't it. This school is more about the brains.

I love Whitman! I'm going into the 8th grade. I couldn't ask for a better school. It may not seem like the safest neighborhood, but Mr. Starosky (principle) and all other staff keep everything in order.

My son started 6th grade this year at Whitman and overall we've been very happy with it. There are many dedicated, hard working staff members, the principal is wonderful, parent involvement is strong and there is a unity in working to make it a great school. It is scheduled to be torn down and rebuilt in a couple years which is way overdue but don't overlook the good things happening inside this old, dingy building!

I love this school. My daughter graduated this year. She loved all three years. And she loves the principle (curent) mr.Starosky. He helps out alot. Wow i reccomend this school a 10!

Last modified Whitman Middle School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.