Posted December 05, 2013
The 1 out of 10 rating on this site makes me think the site's entire methodology is cheap, easy, and suspect. My son attends Kindergarten at Hawthorne, and came in with an average skill level. He tests above average for first graders. He's a year ahead, in other words, and just blossoming beyond belief. Not bad for a couple months at a "1 out of 10" school. The PTA is energized and involved, they have funding for arts (choir and visual art), and the teachers collaborate and act like a team more convincingly than other schools we toured (including private schools). But the #1 reason to send your child to Hawthorne? The world doesn't look like the lunchroom at the schools on this site rated 10/10. The world looks like Hawthorne's lunchroom. If you want your child to excel academically AND see the world as it is (instead of from the inside of a bubble), send them to Hawthorne, and ignore this lazy site's simplistic rating methodology. It appears to have slapped a bunch of pretty window dressing on a tiny slice of real information.

Posted April 05, 2012
My son is a student at Hawthorne Elementary school. He is in an emotional/behavioral delay special education class. He is at the kindergarten level, and his classroom is K-2. My experience working with the teacher, principal, vice-principal and staff on writing and implementing his Individual Education Plan (IEP) has been outstanding! I appreciate the love, expertise, and perspective the staff at the school give my son. I dropped by the school today to add some money to his school lunch account, and even the "lunch lady" has wonderful words of appreciation and encouragement about him. Our experience at Hawthorne has exceeded my greatest hopes!

Posted March 29, 2012
We feel so fortunate to be part of the wonderful community of students, families, and teachers at Hawthrone. My daughter is thriving in a nurturing environment that not only focuses on standard test related curriculum, but on individual and social awareness and responsibility. The sense of pride amongst the Hawthorne community is a true reflection of the wonderful school that it is.

Posted March 29, 2012
Hawthorne has improved incredibly in the last two years! I see HUGE positive changes in the academics, parent/community involvement and the school's physical appearance. The children are very involved and care about their school.

Posted March 15, 2012
As grandmother to one of Hawthorne's kindergartners, I am delighted to report that he attends a school where individuality and diversity are valued, where learning is fostered and enrichment is more than a buzzword. As an artist who volunteers to work on art projects with the children twice weekly, I can say from first hand experience that the children are happy, thriving and learning. This school is on the move. There may have been problems in the past, but great strides have been made. Teachers here are excellent, go the extra mile, and benefit from professional coaching. The administrators are strong, capable, caring and committed. Test scores are on the rise, and parent volunteers have organized . But best of all is the day-by-day success this school produces right now.

Posted March 10, 2012
We love Hawthorne! Our son is in Kindergarten this year and has had such a wonderful experience. He has an amazing teacher. She does a wonderful job of balancing the required reading and math curriculum with movement, music, and art. The school has a great art teacher, a beautiful library with a full time librarian (!), one of the best PE teachers I've ever met, and an all around wonderful staff. The principal and vice principal are two of the most inspiring, dedicated, and warm people I have ever met in the public school system. And have I mentioned the diversity at this school? There is such an ethnic, racial, social-economic mix at this school. A true melting pot. What a great place for a child to learn.

Posted March 08, 2012
Our son is in kindergarten this year at Hawthorne and we have been very pleased with our experiences so far. He loves school and is thriving. My husband and I are both teachers and I have a range of experience observing other teachers. Our son's teacher is one of the strongest teachers I have watched in action. She is amazing at differentiating to meet the needs of all of the children in the classroom. The school has strong leadership that values a rich learning experience for children. They our courageous in being committed to a solid education in the full sense even in a climate that focuses purely on math and reading. It is wonderful to see a school where they know how to effectively address the needs in these two academic areas without neglecting the rest of learning.

Posted February 28, 2012
My son is a first-grader at Hawthorne and is thriving. The combination of committed teachers, supportive administration, and great kids makes this an amazing school where every child's success is equally important.

Posted February 06, 2012
I am a parent of a kindergartener at Hawthorne. It has truly been a remarkable year. There is a buzz amongst the faculty and parents that great things are happening and I believe it! Simply put, my son loves his teachers and classmates. What more could we ask for? His happiness is ours. Keep it up!

Posted February 01, 2012
Hawthorne is an amazing school on the rise. The teachers, staff, parents and the wider community are truly embracing this neighborhood school and it shows. The teachers and staff are dedicated to these kids, backed by the district, are getting the kind of professional development that makes a difference. The school offers full time Arts, Technology, and Literacy programs in addition to onsite partnerships with organizations like CDSA and Powerful Schools. All this support and energy devoted to the Hawthorne students makes a difference. Recent test scores have risen significantly and future program development in the school curriculum will only strengthen their learning. For example, my son is in the Spectrum program but needs a little extra boost in his reading skills. The Powerful Readers program gives him that support. But for me personally it's not all about the scores but the facts that my child learns in between the lessons. The knowledge you get from rubbing shoulders with so many diverse cultures can't really be measured but has a value all to it's own. It's those lessons combined with that of the teachers that make Hawthorne so special to me.

Hawthorne Elementary School
4100 39 Av South, Seattle, WA  98118
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top