Seattle, WA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 26, 2014
At Villa, they not only encourage us to learn but to become independent thinkers and ask questions. There are SMARTBoards in every classroom (except for flex rooms) to help teachers show us diagrams and give us visual representations of the units. Villa has a beautiful brick building with five floors that are used (six & seven are just storage rooms), soccer field, outdoor classroom, garden, a trail down to Lake Washington, an orchard, two age appropriate playgrounds, an convent (where the preschool is located), a huge art room, a computer lab, a tech support room, parlor, chapel, cafeteria, kitchen & beautiful marble stairs and floors. Although my opinion is very biased, since I am a student, Villa is one of the best Catholic independent schools in the Seattle area and I would definitely encourage any parents considering Villa to check it out!

Posted October 24, 2014
Villa is an amazing school! Both of my children enjoy school, like their teachers and, most importantly, feel well-liked and confident. We are at the school thanks to financial aid, and I was worried my kids would have trouble fitting in, because we are not well-off financially, but that has not been the case at all. They both have friends and fit in perfectly. One of my children struggles academically, and he is making HUGE strides while receiving assistance through the academic support services. If you are looking for a school where students are taught respect, kindness, tolerance and the benefits of hard work, then Villa is a great choice!

Posted July 24, 2014
Fantastic school, educational program and community involvement. It has been a wonderful experience for our daughter

Villa Academy 4

Posted April 02, 2014
Our daughter currently attends Villa and we are very happy with the character education. She is so social and doing good in academics. We just wish the school focussed a bit on design aspects w.r.t to technology and did more think out of the box projects. The school has an amazing technology lab. Parent community is good as well.

Villa Academy 4

Posted February 07, 2013
I've been a Villa parent for over 10 years. The real strength of Villa Academy is the culture of the school and school community. Parents are supportive, the school is responsive and caring, and the kids that go there are exemplary--kids you want your kids to go to school with and have as friends. Academic are reasonably solid. The curriculum is incoherent and the instruction addled by the same psuedo-scientific puffery and trite nostrums that plague the educaton profession generally, but it's no worse than you'd find at most any other school, private or public. And graduates nonetheless enter high school well-prepared because teachers are earnest, responsive, and caring; and students come from affluent, well-educated and hyper-supportive families. The school, parent, and peer culture are all positively self-reinforcing. As for the Catholicism, it's present but diluted enough to make non-Catholics feel included. (About half of students are non-Catholic.) The school does a good job reinforcing the 7 principles of Catholic social teaching. I'd encourage interested non-Catholic parents to learn what those are, because they embody values most parents of any (or no) faith would endorse.

Posted September 25, 2012
Our daughter entered Villa in kindergarten, and she is now a 6th grader. As part of the 50% that is not Catholic, I can assure you that Villa is academically rigorous independent school, not "just an expensive Catholic school". Class sizes max out at 15 kids in the lower grades and 20 in the older grades. The school isits on 25 acres of waterfront property in the heart of Laurelhurst,and the curriculum leverages the location by both using the amazing campus and also partnering with the UW for various projects. My sole criticism is that Villa's grading system is too steep (90%=B), giving kids artificially low GPAs. Kids leave Villa extraordinarily well prepared for high school, with a disproportionate number of kids going to Lakeside, Holy Names, U-Prep, and Seattle Prep.

Villa Academy 3

Posted September 06, 2012
There are many wonderful things about Villa...every teacher we had was skilled, committed, and very dedicated to the children. There are small class sizes (at least during the 5 years we were there) and wonderful programs (music, art, languages, sports). The community is very tight and can be a bit "small town-ish," which is both a positive and a negative, depending on how well you and your children fit the mold. In the end we left to find a more diverse school that employs more up-to-date teaching methods and can adjust to different kinds of learners more effectively. We have not regretted the change in any way. We found a better fit for our children. Villa is a great place if your children fit the Villa type of student and as long as they don't develop an issue Villa cannot handle.

Villa Academy 3

Posted July 23, 2012
If you are looking for an expensive Catholic school, The Villa Academy will be a perfect fit. A few years ago, this school was on track to become a highly competitive independent elementary and middle school with increasing admission to top Seattle high schools. However, the new leadership is more focused on Catholic instruction and larger class sizes, which can just as easily be found at local (less expensive) parish schools.

Posted October 19, 2010
First, I will say that I have four children currently enrolled here. They all have completely different learning styles and personalities(!!!) however, Villa has been a great fit for each of them. To the student at Lakeside who commented on 3/23/10, I would suggest that because of the strenuous middle school years at Villa, and Villa's reputation for that, you got into Lakeside. Our experience with the middle school teachers has been only positive, and we are so impressed how they create such mature and independent thinkers. The comment posted on 11/29/09, was clearly (I hope) written by a child and is full of incorrect information. Recess/PE? We have it. 15 minutes to eat? False. Our family has continued to be amazed by the teachers and administration at Villa! It is truly a community where every teacher knows every child, with the entire staff working together to make each child succeed.

Posted October 11, 2010
Both of our children attended Villa Academy and we had the pleasure of being in this community for 11 years. Villa Academy has excellent, skilled and attentive teachers. The teachers hold the students accountable and help students gain self confidence and self motivation. The school leadership is fabulous and works very hard to fulfill the mission and support the students and the faculty. The academic program is deep and rich and each portion of the curriculum is dovetailed throughout each class at that grade level. The language programs are great - both of my children tested into Honors Spanish at their high school. This is a wonderful school and it prepared my children exceptionally well for high school.

Villa Academy