No rating

Holy Rosary School

Private | K-8 | 492 students

Living in Seattle

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $380,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,130.

Sweep tile

Posted September 26, 2012

I've done recess volunteer work and will continue to, up to when my last grand children will graduate. The students are active with lots of games and running around. Some do get hurt at times, but they bounce back and continue with the activities. I have yet to see bullying. And there are no wimps either. Good discipline and excellent faculty.

Posted January 9, 2012

Holy Rosary has a bullying problem that no one wants to talk about. My children were treated with cruelty by some teachers and many students. We were active members of the church and finally had to pull out because of the mental anguish it caused our children.

Posted May 29, 2011

great school, great community feel and amazing families and kids. could not be happier with holy rosary

Posted March 27, 2011

Wish I could give this school more stars! In a sea of failing public schools, Holy Rosary is a God send! We left the "best" public elementary school in the district to enroll in Holy Rosary, and immediately realized how behind my Kindergarten child was. He had more academic improvement in a week at HR than he did in 2 trimesters in public school. In some cases, you get what you pay for. In the case of Holy Rosary, you get much, much more!

Posted October 6, 2008

Outstanding faculty and staff, dedicated students and parents, supportive parish community - all make for a superior school. Holy Rosary is always looking at ways to improve. They do an excellent job updating programs. Their music and art programs continue to grow and expand. I love Holy Rosary and recommend it highly. I can't imagine a better school anywhere!

Posted October 6, 2008

Our son recently graduated from Holy Rosary School. The transition to high school has been seamless. He was well-prepared academically, socially, and spiritually. We are so grateful to all of his teachers and the administration for their commitment to students, first and foremost. The curriculum is challenging, environment is supportive, and Catholic social teachings are taught by example. Excellent school!

Posted October 3, 2008

This is our child's 5th year in Holy Rosary. We are pleased with the education our child is receiving. We like the emphasis on values, which I think a lot of schools seem to be lacking. The teachers are truly dedicated and do not see their jobs as careers as more of their calling. There is also a good sense of community within the school. For a good, affordable Catholic education, this West Seattle institution cannot be beat!

Posted September 14, 2008

HR is plagued with very large classes. The seats are in rows, facing forward. HR counts on memorized curriculum. There is not enough student discovery. HR is about 15 years behind the curve. I would say it is long on structure, and short on innovation. The school commission and parents club are passive and provide little direction. Overall, HR is not keeping pace and I would suggest alternative schools after the third grade.

Posted April 9, 2008

I'm a former student of Holy Rosary West Seattle. I'm now in my 3rd year at the University of Washington. I suggest Holy Rosary to parents that are interested in their children developing strong morals. These morals are born at Holy Rosary with confidence because the school creates, and functions, much like its own small community. When I attended public High School after graduating from HRS I was shocked at the disrespect students had towards teachers and the lack of importance they placed on finishing homework. Holy Rosary taught me good life-long habits in thinking politely about others and gave me a work ethic I can always turn to. I highly suggest Holy Rosary as a beginning place for your child's education.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 20, 2007

Academics are 'fair'. Curriculum is tepid. Not enough math and science teachers certified to teach the subject. No labs, no hands on experiences. CYO sports are very well attended. The music program is below acceptable standards. Very unimaginative curriculum and student complaints largely go ignored by the administration. Art is also a long suffering program. THe teacher can't relate to young, vibrant students. HR derives its success from the upper middle class values of the parents. HR starts with good students and does no great damage to them until they can transition to HS. Classes are too big and individual student attention is hard to come by. Overall, underresourced, crowded, safe, and unimaginative curriculum. I lean neutral to a low good.

Posted May 9, 2007

This is our first year at Holy Rosary and I can't say enough good things about the school. The principal is outstanding, and the sense of community that the school enjoys is wonderful. I'm not Catholic - but absolutely love the education my kids are receiving. We do not use the after school program, but our friends rate it highly. If you live in West Seattle (or even near West Seattle) this school should be on your list to visit.

Posted April 25, 2007

This is our second year at Holy Rosary after transfering from another Private School. We are very happy with the school, teachers and programs. Holy Rosary is more than just a school it is a community that teaches its students about being confident, compassionate members of society. There are many activities afterschool for the students to participate in. The class size is larger than other schools but that is the norm with Catholic education. The faculty at the school is fantastic and always approachable.

Posted November 21, 2006

Class sizes are way too large for learning, some teacher student ratios..30:1 Teacher skills vary from superior to marginal.

Posted January 30, 2006

Our child has been attending this school for 4 years now. He loves it there. Everything has been very positive. We are hoping to send our second child to there this fall.

Posted February 21, 2005

I am an 8th grade student at holy rosary currently. The academic program at holy rosary is great, especially in junior high. Art and music and drama are not noted very much, we dont have a drama program and music is a required class and optional band. the teachers are great and the parents are always involved in everything. my overall experience was only ok because its sometimes hard to have fun because they push academics so much harder then art, Also there are quite a few rules that have that really arent necessary, considering they cause more conflict then we had before they made them. Also very few field trips. very little hands on activities i think.
—Submitted by a student

Two or more races 6% N/A
Asian 5% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Kris Brown
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Seattle