K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

The teachers at this school are terrific. The community is caring and focused on all aspects of respect for others, hard work, culpability, and outreach to others. My daughters have attended since kindergarten, and they are excelling academically and socially. They are becoming independent and confident. The teachers are prepared, organized and accessible. The administration is cool, and I love that the school is hip, yet traditional in their teachings of manners, excellence in academics, respect toward others and respect of self. The children of St. Joseph School are lucky to have so many people who care about their success.

Pros: great for sporty well behaved kids -especially girls. Teachers and administrators really care about the whole child, and go out of their way to make a new kid feel included. Art is tilted to typical girl subjects. (My son's realistic drawing of a zombie got turned into the school counselor. Luckily the counselor found it brilliant!). Religious emphasis has made a positive impact on my kids. Cons: not very skilled in managing kids with learning differences like dyslexia and ADD. Behavior problems (which result from kids trying to get out of being called on), and disorganized kids (disheveled desks, forgetting to turn in homework) baffle the teachers. These kids get singled out not because the teachers are mean spirited, but because these teachers truly don't get why these students aren't falling in line. I believe this attitude trickles down to the students. Kids that are different tend to get picked on unless they happen to be athletic. Recess, especially for boys, is limited to sports as the only option. (Tip: if you can swing it financially, consider Morningside Academy!) On the other hand, if your child happens to be gifted, options are also limited. There is ALO for advanced reading, but no advanced math. If you request a more rigorous program, teachers tack on more of the same which ends up discouraging the student. Kids that are too smart also get picked on, but not to the level that the learning challenged ones do. Overall, if your child fits the smart, well behaved, athletic, socially typical kid profile, this is a great school! Each kid is different and my boys didn't do well here, but my daughter loves it!

Amount of homework: Disagree

There are too many projects that require parent involvement. Because these projects are shared with the class, parents tend to go overboard in order to not set their child up for embarrassment.

if you care at all about your child's education then dont send them here. As a student I can honestly say St. Joes were the worst years of my school life. The teachers treated me differently than the others and one teacher didnt even bring up the fact that i wasn't doing good in their class until parent teacher conferences and said they would never write a recommendation for me. Not once did she bring this up with me in class however. The school cares more about there "banquets" (which are really just events so you can give them money) that students will literally just not do P.E and instead set up carpet squares, or they will take them out of religion to do it. also the attention they give to choir verses the other electives is extremely disproportional. choir will have 30 -40 students and get to go Disneyland for their trip while the band class has 6 students and the teacher doesn't even do attendance. If your going to pay for a school please send them somewhere better.

We have two kids at St. Joseph (starting our third year at the school) and are very happy with all aspects of the school. We are not members of the church, but have felt welcomed into the community. Like most schools, there is quite a bit of fundraising, but it's not excessive. The administrators are top notch and every teacher we have worked with has been great. Together, they keep the curriculum on the cutting edge. They are supportive of the kids without coddling them. One of our kids went to another school that was twice as expensive and the quality of the educational experience at St. Joe's is just as good if not better. We especially like the emphasis on character development; they do a great job of helping kids to reach their potential. We feel fortunate to be a part of the school.

We love this school - nothing but good things to say about it. Excellent teachers and attentive to individual students needs.

Right now I am a seventh grader at St. Joseph's and I love it. I have attended the school since kindergarten and none of the stuff below is true. I have many friends and we always welcome the newer kids and try and make them feel comfortable. The community of faith is amazing and I couldn't imagine any other school topping St. Joseph's. I love the school and I bet you would too!

Most of these reviews are by unaware parents but as a student I was constantly bullied, not only by students, but also teachers. The academics are unfocused and taught terribly by not so good teachers. These were the worst 8 years of my life and we regret wasting SO much money on the school. The school says the already outrageous base price but you have to donate and donate and so on. This school has made me forever socially awkward and educationally embarrassed. Terrible teachers, too expensive, bad academics, and so on.

i attended St. Joes from 5-7th grade and I hated it. The students and the staff were rude to people of color. I was bullied often and I had low self esteem. The athletics instructors always put me on the B team even though I was better than most of the girls. I am so glad I transferred out of there because honestly this place was cruel. This is not a good school for people of color especially black people. There is no diversity.

I attended St.Joes from 5-7th grade and I hated it. Students and Staff were rude and I was bullied the whole time. This is not a school where students of color are appreciated. Athletic intstructors were bias and did not select me onto "A" teams because their daughters did not like me. I am so glad I transferred from there because I had a extreme low self esteem. Parents of black and other races of children DO NOT choose this school.

Last modified St Joseph School is a Private school that serves grades K-8