Holy Family School

Private | PK-8 | 175 students

Living in Seattle

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $195,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,030.

Sweep tile

Posted December 4, 2013

Great school! My child loves this school. He has been going here since 2005. There has been ups and downs but we still stuck to Holy Family. The new principal is great; he used to be the principal of Bellevue High School. I like how they are semi-remodeling the interior of the school. By January the old carpets are going to be gone and classrooms are going to have their own projectors. The computer lab is going to have a Smart Board, which is awesome to me. The education my child is getting is great. He comes home talking about the new concepts he learned in school. This tells me that he is actually learning. The teachers are great. They are very friendly, and they help my child in a way that he understands the new concept right away. For a Catholic school, the religion they teach is great. They learn about the Bible and how it reflects our own lives. Overall, this is a great school. I am satisfied with the teachers commitment to teach kids. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 28, 2013

This school isn't bad, but it isn't great either. My child attended this school in 1999 and it was great. There were a lot of supporting parents, a great principal, and a great staff. The principal remodeled the porch, which was great because the old one was falling apart. This principal decided to put an elevator leading from ground level to the porch. He also wanted to put a multi-purpose gym on the playground. The principal made a fraction of the elevator, only putting the launching pad on the ground and no progress with the gym. This principal tried his best to make this school a great school, but people stopped donating. In 2005 when the new principal came, he also made a change in the school. He remodeled the basement and remodeled the classroom floors. With this principal, I see no effort in him. He just wants to put this Spanish program. Maybe this is why so many families are leaving. In 1999, Holy Family had close to 300-350 students. Right now, Holy Family only has 160 students. Big drop right? This school would be better if families donated more. HF is struggling financially and parents would make this better. HF is an okay school, they just need more support.

Posted December 7, 2012

My daughter currently attends HFS and I have to say that we are horribly disappointed in the quality of the education. We thought that she would be getting a better education by attending a private school, but in all honesty she would probably be better off attending a public school. She has been taught absolutely nothing she does not already know. I was absolutely appalled when the school's 8th grade valedictorian could barely read a handout during an assembly. The school is struggling financially, so rather than focusing on the children, all of the meetings share the same theme of telling us how we need to do more fundraising and/or donate more of our money the school. Our daughter will NOT be attending HFS next year. The principal makes exception for certain families, allowing them to break rules that the rest of us are still expected to follow. Rather than focusing on the school's failing math and science "programs," they are too busy starting a gimmicky Spanish program in an attempt to increase enrollment, even going as far as offering half off tuition for some, but not for others. Please avoid making the same mistake of wasting thousands of dollars on this joke of a school.

Posted October 2, 2012

This is the 8th year my child has been at Holy Family. She hardly every has any homework. A parent who just pulled her child out had him tested at another school. Although her son was an honor student at Holy Family, he tested below his grade level at the new school. I did not want to change schools after all these years, but maybe it is time to go, as the quality of the education simpy is not there. I don't think we have any teachers that have been there more than 4 or 5 years. Not pleased.

Posted December 7, 2011

I really like the teachers and the attention that they give my daughter. She has started kindergarten not knowing her abc's. She is excelling. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted August 8, 2011

When I picked up my child from the after school program, he had bumps on his arm. I asked the director and she denied seeing the bumps, even though they were clearly red. I later found out the sleeping cots and bug infestation. The after school program needs to be more clean and attentive of children. One staff member was on her cell phone instead of watching the children.

Posted February 16, 2011

I don't appreciate the way that the new principal militarily dictates the school. That is why I, a student, left. I also didn't learn any math the second quarter of fifth grade. At all.

Posted October 5, 2009

Very caring staff, Takes that extra effort to make sure the kids are understanding what is being asked, Very good school. They get an A+ in my book

Posted March 2, 2006

Holy Family is a private Catholic school which accepts non-Catholic students as well. The students are the most diverse ethnically in Seattle, and most are highly motivated academically. The quality of academic instruction is excellent, the teachers are knowledgeable, and the new principal, Mr Lutz, is a parent of eight and very involved with keeping the school on track academically; he knows most students' names and is concerned for them. There is a good music program, although no art program, there are several sports programs through CYO. The parents are closely involved, both by choice and because 20 service hours per parent are required. Parents are required to participate in fundraisers. This is an excellent school, however it does not offer specialized help for children with learning disabilities or other problems. The public schools are better able to help out with that.

Asian 36% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Seattle

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9615 20th Ave SW