PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted March 09, 2016
Teachers are exceptional at differentiation of instruction as there are many different levels of learning in the community.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted March 09, 2016
The school promotes strong, Catholic values. Students go to Mass weekly and constantly discuss how to live the Gospel.

Holy Family School 5

Posted March 09, 2016
Sending my children to this school was one of the best decisions I made as a mother. What sold the school was their dual language program, in which the kids learn in both English and Spanish. What has been most impressive over the three years we have been a part of the community is the family-like atmosphere. I have a very shy 3 year old son and was nervous about having him in all day preschool. He LOVES Holy Family and is thriving there. My daughter, first grade, speaks both Spanish and English and is learning solid Catholic family values of respecting other. What is most impressive is the diversity in the school. This school is a hidden gem!

Holy Family School 3

Posted August 13, 2015
Attended for 10 years (2005-2015) and it's been a bumpy ride. Our school was never one of the rich kid schools. We never built no new gymnasium and we just recently got new iPads. We lived through it I guess, just by reading the text book and looking at the projection of the overhead. Teachers at this school were mostly helpful at the time. Can't really say anything about the lower elementary teachers currently because the ones in my time already left, but these newer teachers seem like good people. My middle school teachers were okay too. Some were helpful and nice, some just kind of slacked off. Plus, after the departure of the music teacher in 2013, we never really had a real music/drama program. A problem I'm always hearing about is Holy Family is in some financial crisis or how ever you explain it. I'm always hearing about money problems and what not. This school pretty much seemed to be good at my early years here, with it seems to be large enrollment and lots of parent involvement. This school somehow just crumbled and never got back to the way it was 10 years ago. I don't know why, but it's also not really my problem. I really don't know if this had an effect on our education at all, mainly because I don't know the curriculum at the neighboring Catholic schools. Another problem with this school is the school itself. The building being finished in 1927, the floor seems to be uneven, the walls seem to be crumbling, and many other things seem to be falling apart. Of course other neighboring schools have a better buildings since they were built in the 1950s-1960s, with the exception of Holy Rosary which I believe was built in 1924, but by the looks of it, it seems their school seems to be holding up quite fine. We don't have a gymnasium unlike Our Lady of Guadalupe and it seems the rest of the of the Archdiocesan Catholic Schools. But somehow, I lived through it, and when you think about it, none of this really matters. It's just that you get a good education, which Holy Family offered satisfactory. But all in all, I wished Holy Family would've been more of the prestigious Catholic school the neighboring Catholic schools are right now. Hopefully the current principal can change things around somehow.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 13, 2015
My teachers in lower elementary were terrific and were very effective. Some middle school teachers are effective, some not really. Sometimes in class we'd just watch movies or whatnot. Even though I was supposed to enjoy it (which I did), it really didn't teach me anything. On the other hand, we had some first time teachers, and they were OK. They really couldn't explain things very well, but I'd cut them some slack since it's their first year anyway. There's always room for improvement.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 13, 2015
Honestly, this school hardly gave any homework. In my 6th grade year, 90% of the time I had no homework. They kind of improved on the work load, but I think they can ramp up the work load even more, especially for middle school students. I'm not too sure about the lower elementary students.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted August 13, 2015
It's very hard to say. Some students in my former class were trying hard in their early middle school years, but seemed to have slacked off. Some of them claim they really didn't care about school. On the other hand, there were some students that did try their hardest into maintaining high grades. Then there were the students in the middle, who achieved mediocre grades, didn't seem to try, but didn't seem to slack off either.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted August 13, 2015
I think so. As previously said, students are always together and friendly to each other. From such a small school, we pretty much know everyone. Even though some may not teach that great, the teachers are pretty nice and connect with students very well. Students I've seen had no issues with respect.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted August 13, 2015
I feel this school does develop these characteristics in students. I've been with the same people for 10 years, and we've all been friends and helped each other at times throughout those years. Newer students coming, we'd welcome them and try and make them feel at home. So I guess you can say this school did teach us these life lessons.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted August 13, 2015
With the experience with my lower elementary teachers, they did what they could to mold me into a Catholic student knowing to do the right things. Later into middle school, with my experience, I felt some teachers reinforced their teachings of honesty, integrity, and fairness while others would completely miss these topics in all.

9615 20th Avenue Southwest, Seattle, WA  98106