Seattle, WA

Posted January 05, 2015
SCDS has been ideal. The new head of the lower school is amazingly perceptive and proactive for the great benefit of the kids. The head of school is a kind and masterful leader, genuinely receptive to concerns and focused on the best interests of the students. So many of the teachers go above and beyond every expectation. Kids are genuinely happy and support each other in a wonderful learning environment.

Seattle Country Day School 1

Posted December 03, 2013
Today we had terrible school tour here.My son and I almost were pushed outside of the school by the admission lady when we were finally there after more than one hour's driving. I called the admission office telling them we were going to be late for around 10 mins due to the terrible traffic on 522. But I was told they didn't have my name at all! I told her I registered the tour from the school website. Anyway she said she could sign me up now. However, when we finally be there, she totally changed her attitude. She said "you had to rearrange another tour, not today" I was so shocked by her attitude, I said I drove more than one hour here. She began to push me and my son out of the tour classroom. I don't understand what is going on. And the lady's attitude was so bad that made my son scared. He almost cry and told me he felt bad. He refused to come to this school anymore, This horrible experience terrified us. We choose not come back anymore.

Posted September 23, 2013
Seattle Country Day is one of those rare and magical places that every parent wishes they could find for their child. This is an authentic school (not just a slogan) that serves the needs of gifted students. It is a place where your gifted (do not mistake the word with privileged) child will feel at home and normal around his or her peers. The teachers are amazing and know how to inspire and motivate these children and support their learning totally. You will NOT find a better K-8 school for gifted kids in all of Washington. After 6 years, my child still loves going to school!
3 people found this helpful

Seattle Country Day School 4

Posted September 14, 2013
This year being my 9th year at SCDS, I have had many amazing teachers throughout the years. A lot of people say the 4-5 teachers are the best, however there are amazing teachers in each of the divisions. Math and Science at SCDS is absolutely amazing, and has really prepared me to do well in High School. Another amazing thing is that now, in the Middle School Division, especially in 7th and 8th grade, we go on AMAZING trips. Last years 8th grade class went to Iceland and this year we are going to Costa Rica! Since the school is so small, I know the names of almost every student and know many of them personally. Since Kindergarden, many kids have come into my grade and many have left, but I have gotten to know each and every one of them so well, and they are basically my second family. I am really sad that this is my last year at SCDS, but I think SCDS has prepared me really well for High School.
2 people found this helpful

Seattle Country Day School 3

Posted March 31, 2013
This school is great academically and the faculty and teachers are outstanding. My kids have had a mixed experience socially. I think the school tolerates disruptive behavior in the name of accommodating "gifted kids" and their quirks. I think this is more pronounced in some classes/grades than in others. That said, if academics are your priority, you can't go wrong with SCDS.

Posted April 27, 2011
Our child has really thrived at SCDS; the individualized attention towards math and language arts has been amazing, as each child can progress at his/her own level. The teachers have been more than responsive and communicate very well with parents. Thanks SCDS!

Posted October 20, 2010
ive gone to this school since kindergarten and it was one of the best experiences of my life. i moved ot a girls school in nyc that is also highly rated, but the social interactions and cultural influence of SCDS rival none. It is a truly wonderful school with fabulous teachers while it may be a bit week in the sector of economically and socially diverse parents. Ive only been gone for two months and its just 7th grade but i miss it so much, amazing school...

Posted June 13, 2010
For the right child who has focus and intellectual curiousity, this is the perfect school. Inquiry based learning gives these kids the chance to explore their quest for high level knowledge about a huge variety of subjects from science to art to math to literature. The teachers are also highly capable and independent which makes for an interesting mix. It isn't the right school for everyone, but for us, it was perfect.

Posted June 07, 2010
I've never thought K-5 education was all that important for bright, capable kids, that they'd basically find their way. The decision to go to a private school rather than our perfectly acceptable neighborhood school was a difficult one for us. But, we've been validated in our decision after two kids and multiple years. We know that our kids are thriving, loving school as I never remember it. Academically, they benefit from the strong peer group, the love of learning shared by their fellow students, small class sizes, and strong teachers. Our kids are getting an excellent education that reinforces the values we teach at home on the importance of having curious minds, combined with the ability to use those minds to explore new qustions.

Posted May 07, 2010
SCDS: (a) has the most academically talented K-8 student body in the area, (b) has a roster of experienced, highly motivated and talented teachers and (c) is clearly focused on its particular mission. The school is strongest in the 4-5 division, where there are a few legendary teachers. This isn't to fault the K-3 or 6-8 divisions - the latter is just a tricky age for kids. The only significant weakness to the school (if it's fair to attribute to the school) is that some parents are a little too used to always getting what their way in life, and do things like post 1-star reviews of a school they're willing to pay $40,000+ to educate three kids.

Seattle Country Day School
2619 4th Avenue North, Seattle, WA  98109
Last modified Seattle Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Seattle Country Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top