Seattle, WA

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Morningside Academy's school helps both elementary and middle school students to catch up and get ahead. Its students have not previously reached their potential; many have learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, or ADD/ADHD; all have average to well above average intelligence. Morningside is not a school for children with significant emotional problems, behavioral problems, or developmental delays.
January 28, 2015

Posted June 01, 2015
We are very new to the Morningside family and started on January 5th, 2015. I would like to share my story of how MA has helped my son. It really amazes me every time I think of how far he has progressed since he has been at MA. My son transitioned to MA in the midpoint of his 4th grade year on January 5th, 2015. I had learned on October 1st, 2015 that he was still being bullied, which had started in the 3rd grade for being dyslexic. His reading level (SRI) has been at a level 0 since he has been in the 1st grade and I found out his 3rd grade teacher had posted his reading level up in the classroom which displayed to all the students that he was at a Kindergarten/1st grade reading level. My son had an IEP since the 3rd grade, received extra tutoring weekly since the 2nd grade, went to the library weekly, and we even tried Sylvan. I learned that if children can't read by the 3rd grade, the success rate of actually graduating from high school decreases and kids are proven to drop out. His SRI score was a 6 when he left his school on 12/15/14. Just after being at MA for 20 DAYS I received a message from my son on my cell phone of him proudly reporting his SRI score was 285! I have this message saved and play it often and share it with people. I think back to all the nights he came home crying, asking me why he can't read, all the nights he agonized and we struggled doing homework. Working with him each night knowing we had to get this homework done but he didn't know the basics to understand what he was doing. I knew he was sitting in a classroom with 34 other students not wanting to raise his had or ask questions because it seemed like everyone else got it. On Friday, 3/27/15, we attended the MA school dance. I couldn't believe he was out on the dance floor when just months ago he would run away from kids at the playground because he was scared. I am so thankful and blessed that my son is a part of the MA family. I truly believe Morningside Academy has helped save and change his life.

Posted February 11, 2015
My son didn't understand why he should go to school because he had a "dumb brain". He had struggled year after year in regular public school and the response I received from the school district was "wait and see". I couldn't continue to watch my sons self esteem diminish. When I found Morningside I couldn't believe how it seemed like the puzzle piece that was missing. My son has been at Morningside for 5 months and I have seen him blossom into a confident reader and thinker. He has confidence that I have never seen before. I truly believe that Morningside is the true definition of "No Child Left Behind". I am grateful for their commitment to his success.

Morningside Academy 2

Posted February 04, 2015
Rigid administration, outdated teaching model, large staff turnover, no science or physical education, learning "guarantee" not genuine.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted January 28, 2015

Morningside Academy 1

Posted August 27, 2014
Think twice and know that while precision teaching may work there are big problems within the school. The communication both within the school and with families is deplorable. The administrative aspects of this school were frustrating and problematic. The teachers may be trained at precision teaching but their skill set and qualifications end there. We found the majority of the teachers to be emotionally immature, poorly educated, and very unprofessional with their students. We had a dreadful experience and our child may have made academic gains but, the experience will take years to mend. Realize that the TA program is outdated and not for children. A program such as Social Thinking would be ideal.

Posted August 02, 2013
We had a fantastic experience with the summer school program. My son became truly engaged in learning and came home excited about his accomplishments each day. This school inspired him to succeed and increased his self-confidence in his ability to learn. My son shared with us toward the end of summer school that he wanted to make Morningside Academy his regular school. We are extremely happy that a spot opened up for him to attend starting this Fall. Bring on his newfound joy of learning!

Morningside Academy 1

Posted June 27, 2013
I had a bad experience with applying to their summer program. I inquired on June 6 as to whether there was room in the program, and was informed that there was limited space if I was flexible and I should apply. When I sent my registration, there was no acknowledgement of receipt, the administration did not answer emails or phone calls for three weeks and then on June 27 finally called to apologize that there would be no room for him in the program. If the school cannot be honest with applicants and does not have the integrity, follow-up and organizaton to manage their enrollment process in a professional and courteous manner, I have a hard time believing the school can teach these things to children.

Posted April 29, 2010
Morning Side Academy holds themselves accountable for your children to reach their full academic potential!

Posted April 06, 2010
A small school where your child is really known......instead of grades (2nd, 3rd, etc), child is put into class based on ability and they work with them until they master the skills (don't just push them through like in most other schools)....they really pull off miracles in terms of helping struggling students succeed academically. The admin and teachers really know what they are doing and they could not be more concerned about your child. My child loves it here and feels really successful academically!

Posted January 26, 2010
Our son has really benefitted from Morningside's educational approach. Any behavioral challenges are addressed directly and the student knows EXACTLY what is expected of him/her. As a result, academic skills become the focus in each classroom and the kids rapidly become proficient in the core subjects of math, reading, and writing. And while they're learning, there is an emphasis on making them feel good about themselves and their progress. Increased self-confidence and a better understanding of their peers is a by-product of the environment as well as being addressed in a psychology class that all students take. A fantastic school for educating kids who haven't fully reached their potential in traditional school settings. The summer school is equally wonderful and a great chance to try out the school, either for remediation or to get ahead for your child!

Morningside Academy