2-9|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Morningside Academy's school helps both elementary and middle school students to catch up and get ahead. Its students have not previously reached their potential; many have learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, or ADD/ADHD; all have average to well above average intelligence. Morningside is not a school for children with significant emotional problems, behavioral problems, or developmental delays.
January 28, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted November 20, 2015
They do not give homework which I agree with. They are learning what they need to learn at school, and should get to be kids when they come home. It obviously works bc my son has gone up 3 grade levels in one year.

Posted November 20, 2015
Morningside academy changed the course of my son's life dramatically. They know how to correctly teach students with dyslexia, ADHD, and high functioning autism, giving them not only academic skills but also social psychological skills that will help them be successful the rest of their lives. My son went up three grade levels in one year and no longer has meltdowns but is able to use his words now. His anxiety is almost completely gone and he loves school now!! Morningside is the real deal! Public school should be modeled after Morningside Academy.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 16, 2015
Morningside's teachers are all very talented, friendly and wish to challenge their students to succeed. All teachers buy into Morningside's model of instruction and carry it out beautifully. They will treat every student as an individual and not some percentage point or data point on a teacher review. The fact that class sizes are kept small is another great feature, you as a student can really get to know and interact with your teacher and form that essential network of communication.

Posted November 16, 2015
When I transferred into Morningside as a 3rd grader, my reading level was at a 1st grade level. Within two months, my reading level jumped two years. That was just the beginning, Morningside's method of precision teaching, focus on the fundamentals and timer based instruction really connected with the way I learned, and made me really enjoy school for the first time. I was also lucky to have wonderful teachers that challenged me, but also helped dust me off if I happened to fail and constantly encouraged me. Morningside and it's great community of teachers and staff helped me come out of my shell and is a large part of who I am today. Ever since I left Morningside in 2008, I have always seemed to find myself back there. I have been a Teaching Assistant during their summer school session the past 3 years. Morningside's great teachers, innovative instructional methods and great community have had a deep impact on my life and inspired me to become a teacher, so that I may have the chance to help a future student just as much as Morningside and its teachers helped me. - A former student (Class of 08-09)

Posted November 16, 2015
Morningside is exceptional! Our son is bright and capable. He has struggled academically in public schools with large classes and a lack of ability to teaching to his learning style. Morningside is changing our son's perception of himself little by little everyday. His confidence is building and his potential is slowing being unlocked. A quote, "You know Mom last year (before Morningside) I was an underdog in everything but math and recess." Then he stopped. There was a pause. I wasn't sure how I would reply and then he said, "I"M NOT ANYMORE.

Posted October 07, 2015
This school has changed my daughters life. She is able to learn and get the reading foundation skills that she missed in public school. My daughter was placed in Morning Side after her elementry school told me she would still be at a 2nd grade reading level in 5th grade. Two months into the Morning Side my child's reading progress was unbelievable. The teachers, the program... have made my girl a more confident one who is learning leaps and bounds in a short period of time.

Posted June 01, 2015
We are very new to the Morningside family and started on January 5th, 2015. I would like to share my story of how MA has helped my son. It really amazes me every time I think of how far he has progressed since he has been at MA. My son transitioned to MA in the midpoint of his 4th grade year on January 5th, 2015. I had learned on October 1st, 2015 that he was still being bullied, which had started in the 3rd grade for being dyslexic. His reading level (SRI) has been at a level 0 since he has been in the 1st grade and I found out his 3rd grade teacher had posted his reading level up in the classroom which displayed to all the students that he was at a Kindergarten/1st grade reading level. My son had an IEP since the 3rd grade, received extra tutoring weekly since the 2nd grade, went to the library weekly, and we even tried Sylvan. I learned that if children can't read by the 3rd grade, the success rate of actually graduating from high school decreases and kids are proven to drop out. His SRI score was a 6 when he left his school on 12/15/14. Just after being at MA for 20 DAYS I received a message from my son on my cell phone of him proudly reporting his SRI score was 285! I have this message saved and play it often and share it with people. I think back to all the nights he came home crying, asking me why he can't read, all the nights he agonized and we struggled doing homework. Working with him each night knowing we had to get this homework done but he didn't know the basics to understand what he was doing. I knew he was sitting in a classroom with 34 other students not wanting to raise his had or ask questions because it seemed like everyone else got it. On Friday, 3/27/15, we attended the MA school dance. I couldn't believe he was out on the dance floor when just months ago he would run away from kids at the playground because he was scared. I am so thankful and blessed that my son is a part of the MA family. I truly believe Morningside Academy has helped save and change his life.

Posted February 11, 2015
My son didn't understand why he should go to school because he had a "dumb brain". He had struggled year after year in regular public school and the response I received from the school district was "wait and see". I couldn't continue to watch my sons self esteem diminish. When I found Morningside I couldn't believe how it seemed like the puzzle piece that was missing. My son has been at Morningside for 5 months and I have seen him blossom into a confident reader and thinker. He has confidence that I have never seen before. I truly believe that Morningside is the true definition of "No Child Left Behind". I am grateful for their commitment to his success.

Morningside Academy 2

Posted February 04, 2015
Rigid administration, outdated teaching model, large staff turnover, no science or physical education, learning "guarantee" not genuine.

Message to families