Seattle, WA
Before care: Yes

Posted February 12, 2014
If I could give Spruce Street School an extra star, I would. We love the school! The teachers are thoughtful, creative, engaging and fun. The curriculum is top notch. Most importantly my 2 children love going to school. They routinely come home excited about a project they are working on, an elective they just joined, or a new song they are learning in music. The teachers and administration are communicative and responsive. We have found it easy to get time with the teachers face-to-face, by e-mail and when needed, by phone. We are routinely blown away by the thoughtful report cards and in-depth conferences. It's clear that the teachers have a good sense of each child's strengths and weaknesses and work hard to support their learning styles. Lastly we really appreciate the parent body and the collective effort the entire school puts forth to make Spruce Street School a great community.

Spruce St. School 1

Posted January 18, 2014
I can possibly call this the worst school ever. I have so many bones to pick with this school, I can't fit them all into one review. I enrolled my daughter in 2nd grade. She was in a class with many 3rd graders that were taking over the class. During math, my child (with a few others) was declared as 'not able'. She would sit in a small group at a separate table from the class. While other kids (mostly 3rd graders) would work on long division, my child would be adding simple numbers. Equations like 20+4= or 13+3=. I was/am still disgusted. The teachers left behind my child while others where thriving in class. Never got called on to read in class, not given the same work, told that she wasn't trying hard enough. These are the stories that would come home from my child, friends, and other parents. In conclusion, DON'T BE FOOLED. When I saw the marimba playing kids or the impressive playground on the roof, I thought my child would some day be alumni of Spruce Street School. But instead, I got no eye contact during the car ride home, with no smiles and laughter. Please, spare your kids.

Posted June 26, 2012
Spruce Street is an incredible, gem of a school. Everything positive said here, I completely agree with and more! They do accept more "kids with challenges" than other private schools (meaning they accept a few, maybe one or less per class), but this only serves to add an element of diversity that all kids benefit from, and opportunities to learn and develop social skills for a diverse world community. While my kid isn't considered "challenging," I've only heard positive things from those with challenging kids, and have seen a lot of individual attention and planning directed to those kids. My only complaint would be around dealings with lice: we have gotten it from school more times than friends I know at other schools, and the school doesn't do much in the way of curtailing it--they only rarely even report its existence when notified. A once or twice annual school-wide check, easily and cheaply conducted by a local lice removal company, would do the trick.

Posted June 07, 2012
Spruce Street has excellent teachers and leadership. It really does attract a diverse student body, in every sense of the word. My child excelled there. Best thing was the experience based learning that is the total opposite of the test factory we see in ALL public schools. Instead kids are given the space to develop true lifelong learning and pursue things that are truly interesting. My child is now a middle schooler and is doing great. Thank you Spruce Street!

Posted February 24, 2010
My child is thriving at Spruce Street. He loves going to school and we love that his intellectual curiosity is sparked by hands on experiments, field trips, performing in plays, and talented, fun teachers. He is challenged and challenges himself in math.

Posted December 28, 2009
Spruce Street is a fantastic school! The community is caring and the curriculum is highly individualized. My son is very engaged in learning, really likes his teachers, and is in a classroom filled with great kids. Most importantly, he LOVES going to school. I also appreciate that the parent body is very down to Earth and involved. About a 1/3 of the school s population receives aide. Unlike some other Seattle area independent schools, Spruce Street covers the entire socio economic spectrum. (The middle class is pretty much non-existent at my Seattle area alma mater). We are grateful that our middle class family received some financial aide.

Spruce St. School 2

Posted October 23, 2009
There were things about my daughter's six years at Spruce Street that I'll always treasure--for instance learning about social justice and developing her social skills--but overall it wasn't worth the money and, more tragically, her time. Academically, the school is very inconsistent. And while it seems to attract kids with challenges, it doesn't seem to be well-equipped to handle them. If a kid is a middle of the road student, acedmically, emotionally and behaviorally, s/he will likely do okay here. But, then, that student would probably do okay anywhere.

Spruce St. School 3

Posted August 29, 2009

Spruce St. School 0

Posted April 26, 2008
Amazing and ideal! This is one of the best kept secrets in Seattle! I disagree with the previous review about 90% of the time being spent on any type of behavior issue. In fact, it is quite the opposite because everyone at the school stays in tune with all of the children, resulting in very few issues around behavior. Lots of learning, lots of connecting, lots of joy happening there. The school is transparent about what the children are learning!

Spruce St. School 3

Posted March 03, 2007
Watch out! This is a really good school for kids with severe needs for social and emotional development.90% of the teachers time is spent with sever behavior issues in the younger classes. It's really hard to see what is actually going on in the classroom, what your child is really learning.

Spruce St. School