No rating

Billings Middle School

Private | 6-8 | 88 students

Living in Seattle

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $412,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Posted March 2, 2009

I'm glad someone is having a good experience at Billings. Our experience, however, has been a nightmare of bullying, bad mouthed kids, and arrogant, dismissive teachers and administrators. If I hear one more time that my chid needs to 'self advocate' when faculty or admins should be taking responsibility, I just might explode. The faculty doesn't talk to each other, and certainly not to the parents. So much for 'personalized curriculum.' What's worse is that there is very little education going on here. Public school has never looked better. Don't send your child to Billings. Based on the reviews you have at least a 50% chance of being very, very sorry if you do.

Posted February 26, 2009

I had to double check that I was reading about the right school when reading some of the reviews here! Our student is in 8th grade this year and is growing into an amazing young adult thanks to the individual attention and mentor relationships she has made at Billings Middle School. Our daughter was assigned an advisor, who manages her social, emotional and academic successes and works as a liaison between teachers and parents. Teachers are always available to talk about what is going on in our daughter's life, even if we don't get to hear about it directly from her. The Billings faculty not only help our student, they are helping us learn how to parent a teenager - deep breaths are required as I learn not to micro-manage my independent daughter's entire life.

Posted January 16, 2009

I agree with the parent who advised people considering Billings to 'take their money to another private school.' Billings seems to have too many behavior problems, and as others have said, the staff and leaders can be defensive or just plain unresponsive. They put way too much emphasis on student 'self-advocacy' which seems to be an excuse to dismiss or ignore parents. If one of the reasons you are considering private school is because you expect a more adaptive and responsive atmosphere, then Billings probably isn't for you.

Posted December 12, 2008

Middle school is a difficult time as a parent - no matter where you decide to send your student. This school specializes in recognizing the developmental needs of 11-14 year olds and providing experiences for students to succeed (and yes, sometimes fall short). I agree with a previous reviewer about the shabby facilities, but am confident that the school is putting as much money as possible towards lasting lifetime experiences for my student: trips, guest speakers, computer systems, unique PE experiences and amazing faculty. This school is definitely NOT for everyone, but if it is a good fit for you and your child, then expect to graduate with a well-rounded, thoughtful young adult who challenges the world around them and has stories to take with them through life.

Posted December 4, 2008

I am a 7th grade student at Billings and I absolutely love it! It's confusing at times and the homework is sometimes too hard, but it's still a great school. The teachers are nice and the classwork is great. The only thing bad is the fact that there are 4 different buildings separated by streets that a teacher must cross with you. On the plus side, it's great exercise! It's also really ironic that you misspelled 'expectation'...
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 3, 2008

My daughter had a great experience at Billings. She needed a smaller setting due to lots of illness during elementary school. By the time she finished eighth grade, she had grown so much and was really able to advocate for herself. Best of all, was that this school keeps kids moving. Lots of outdoor experiences. It was holistic in its approach and was very well-rounded. The staff was very helpful, though occasionally one or two times. Go in and see that person and tell them what you're not satisfied about. They will listen.

Posted February 8, 2008

I loved billings. The outdoors program was great, and the teachers have time for each kid. I really loved the drama program too.

Posted January 2, 2007

I excelled in the small class sizes and indivual attention I recived from the teachers. Billings created a diverse learning enviroment and great hands on learning techniques. The emotinal and physical soupport Billings provided me with was fantastic! Billings taught me that learning is fun and now i love to learn!
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 7%