Billings Middle School

Private | 6-8 | 103 students

Living in Seattle

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $412,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Sweep tile

Posted January 19, 2014

This school was quite the experience for a highly sensitive creature. I must say that it was wonderful

Posted November 26, 2013

I am so happy to see the posting (below) from a teacher! Billings has serious problems. Although these may be isolated and not everyone sees them, children are hurt at this school!!!

Posted July 30, 2013

History of Innate, problems with bullying. School is incapable of dealing with this issue. Keep looking for a safer place for your child.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 29, 2012

Very pleased with this school. My daughter has almost completed her 6th grade level and is thriving in the direction we were hoping for. The school encourages children's creativity and values academics that's not monotonous. My daughter looks forward to going to school and is rarely bored. Very strong outdoor program. In addition to high regard for traditional academics, the school also offers weekly classes in Yoga and is well-rounded in exploring other unique learning experiences. Staff is welcoming and insightful to middle school age complexities. Makes good use of its community base at Green Lake.

Posted January 29, 2011

This wasn't our first choice for a private school, but we've been pleasantly surprised by our first few months. Billings saw something in our son that other schools overlooked, and he has already developed some close friendships and relationships with mentoring adults. Pick this school for its individuality and well-rounded education, along the way you'll find a challenging program designed to allow students to grow their confidence and abilities.

Posted November 16, 2010

It is frustrating to read the overly positive reviews, clearly planted by the schools administration. It is unfortunate that Great Schools does not have a way to guard the integrity of this site. Really now, 40 reviews from a school with fewer tht 100 students? Sudden spurts of positive reviews whenever a genuine negative is posted? Maybe you could loop back and confirm posters at the email they used, perhaps rooting out some of the false ones?

Posted November 5, 2010

We are a new Billings family with a 6th grade girl. In just 3 months, we've been blown away by the community that has both welcomed and guided us. This is a school where passionate teachers take the time to find out what inspires your child. From the extra-curricular activities to the hands-on learning and outdoor expeditions, every day at Billings is a day of discovery and growth.

Posted October 27, 2010

My son went to Billings Middle School for the last three years and is finishing his second month of high school now. I think that at this point I can say Billings did an outstanding job preparing him academically and socially for high school. He is in a competetive honors program and doing a great job of managing his workload and time, communicating with teachers, and navigating the social scene. He entered math and Spanish at a sophomore level and is getting A's in all his classes. I can't express how much I appreciate the preparation Billings gave him for high school! I also have to say I am continuing to enjoy the friendships I developed with the other parents at Billings - a unique opportunity provided by the small, cohesive middle school setting. Thanks Billings - I will continue to be a loyal supporter!

Posted October 9, 2010

Our child graduated 2 years ago from Billings. After he graduated we were concerned about him moving on to high school. Would he be prepared? Would he survive the rigors of high school? Yes- is the answer. He has the ability to advocate for himself . He is choosing classes that challenge him. He has surrounded himself with a diverse group of friends. Aside from getting good grades, his solid academic foundation allows him to be self confident in his high school studies. In addition, and maybe, most importantly, he came out of middle school as a- good human being. I attribute these successes directly to his Billings education. Ultimately, they truly care for, understand, and educate the "middle school child". I remember middle school as one of the worst times of my life- In my late 40's, I wish I could have a middle school "do over" at Billings!

Posted July 1, 2010

I just graduated last week from Billings and am personally offended by the person who said we have "social challenges" and are "not particularly concerned with academics." I am definitely not socially challenged and next year I will attend one of the most prestigious high schools in Seattle. If you "step back from involvement in your child's school life" it's your own fault - my parents stayed involved all along while I learned to take care of myself academically (the correct spelling, BTW). The interviewer at my new high school told me that they love Billings kids because they are great self-advocates. The teachers are amazing. Sometimes I felt like they know me better than I know myself! I played competitive sports, was in plays and musicals, and got to be a leader when I wanted to. I also got a great education and am ready to rock high school.

Posted March 1, 2010

My 8thy grade son is in his 3rd year here. He has loved it every step of the way as have we for him. He has gotten to participate in a wide variety of extra curricular activities from ultimate Frisbee to Macbeth. The staff loves this age and it shows. He has been supported academically both in the areas that are a challenge for him and in the places he excels. A self-esteem building atmosphere!

Posted January 2, 2010

We are utterly disappointed with every aspect of this school and will not be returning next year. Any family considering Billings needs to set aside anonymous ratings and polished admissions programs, and insist on an unescorted day at the school (stand outside door ways to hear what really goes on inside classrooms, hang out at the park with 6th graders after lunch) talk to parents who are leaving and form your own opinions!!

Posted December 29, 2009

We are totally disappointed with every aspect of this school -- Lots of high-level chatter, but no follow though. Arrogant, ignorant, frustrating, and honestly, damaging to our child. Worse than any public school experience I could imagine.

Posted December 28, 2009

I had 2 daughters attend Billings, graduating in 2004 & 2008. It was the best money I have spent on them yet. Socially they are able to talk to teachers and speak up in class with ease, and to problem solve with peers at a very sophisticated level. Academically they were extremely prepared for highschool. Physically they were challenged to do many things they might not have done and learned an enormous amount about the world through that experience.The only complaint I have is that there is no Billings High School or the equivalent.

Posted December 7, 2009

Just received midterm comments from Billings Middle School...and now we know our child in a new way. Essentially we received a letter from our son's advisor. He spoke of our son's strengths and struggles, along with quotes from all of his teachers and words directly from our son. We couldn't be happier with the personal attention that our family receives, and the opportunity to be involved in shaping our child's academic, social and emotional future. Wish they had an elementary school too!

Posted November 9, 2009

My Billings alumna daughter just got her first grades from High School. All A's and more importantly so many complements on how well she speaks up for herself, collaborates with her classmates and is a considerate member of the class. Thanks Billings for giving her so many of the tools she uses every day to be a successful student and good person.

Posted October 23, 2009

Billings is one of the few schools I've encountered that actually walks the talk. Everybody says they have the skills and vision to understand and address your child's individual needs, but that's a very hard thing to live up to. The teachers at Billings are remarkable--observant, thoughtful, responsive. They seem to know so much about what's going on developmentally and individually with their students--when to push and when to pull back and when to invite a kid out for a hot chocolate. Even if you don't think you can go there, I encourage you to do the interview with Head of School Ted Kalmus. I learned more about my daughter's learning strengths and challenges and opportunities after she spent a day at Billings than in six previous years at a small private school. Also, don't worry about high school. The kids from Billings get in where they want.

Posted September 19, 2009

No school is right for every child and it is a shame that those who chose the wrong match for their child now choose to take it out on a fabulous school. Lovers of Billings are far from the dysfunctional sociopaths some choose to depict - rather, they are people who value the chance for their children to gain independence, learn self advocacy and social responsibility, value experience over rote memorization, and know the importance of acceptance and self-confidence. Billings has been an exceptional environment for our daughter, a socially active, bright, engaging, athletic, and articulate young woman for whom the sky is the limit! Kudos to Billings amazing faculty, who have nurtured a little girl through the hardest years of life!!!

Posted September 17, 2009

We are enterring our third and, sadly, last year at Billings Middle School. Billings is an academically rigorous school dedicated to the specific development of middle school children. The campus is situated in the heart of the dynamic Green Lake neighborhood. The teachers, the staff and the director are respectful and nurturing while maintaining high expectations for academic standing. Due in part to the smaller school and class size, the teachers and staff know my child well, in some ways better than I do! What never ceases to amaze me is how passionate the teachers are about teaching middle school kids. They are always available to discuss and questions or concerns I might have, and are positive in their communications with me. My eighth grade son has learned more about self-awareness and self-advocacy, and has thrived there. I could not recommend it more highly.

Posted September 17, 2009

Middle school is the time for children to begin becoming independent and thinking for themselves. My daughter is now an 8th grader at Billings and I can't imagine a better place for her. Billings doesn't just make rules and enforce them; the school actively involves the students, therefore teaching them how to make decisions, advocate for their views, and listen with respect to the opinions of others. For parents who want their children to grow into fair-minded, community-involved, independent-thinkers...this is the place! I believe that academics and social/emotional growth are equally important and Billings delivers on both fronts.

Asian 10% N/A