6-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This school has been a terrible experience. I am just over a month away from graduating for this terrible place. The teachers are a complete hit or miss and can be super moody and mean. both the female and male teachers attitudes vary depending on the day and if one kid in the whole class does something bad the WHOLE grade gets punished for it even if they nothing to do with it. I've seen kids get yelled at for simply going to the bathroom and not seeing someone else had already walked into the bathroom. LIke we aren't gonna sit there and watch every single person that comes in and out of the bathroom. And throughout your 3 years at Billings you have to do a thing called a portfolio conference and you have to collect pieces of work from the year and show it to your family. BUT in 8th grade you have to lead the meeting and they make us write a welcoming statement to welcome the advisor and family to the meeting. WHAT KIND OF SENSE DOES THAT MAKE!! You can literally say "Mom/Dad this is my advisor ____, ______ This is my mom/dad ______ " and get the meeting going but NOOO we have to have a whole paragraph on welcoming them to the meeting. They have absolutely no trust in us, everything and I mean EVERYTHING on our chromebooks are blocked, even stuff we need for class is blocked rarely ever do they unblock something a student needs unless you catch a teacher on a good day. Don't let the website fool you they don't teach us half of what they put on the website. Kids graduating from Billings most of the time aren't prepared for high school because they only teach us the bare minimum. And, we eat outside at Greenlake pretty much year round unless it raining otherwise you can't stay in unless you're having lunch with a teacher, so even if it 37 degrees outside but not raining you child will have to sit outside for an hour before being able to go back to the school. If your child is athletic I absolutely don't recommend this school. Playing a sport no one is competitive and wants to win they are just doing it to say they did it. So before you think about sending your child to this terrible school remember the things I said in this review and think about how you want your child's future to be and choose a different school because I promise you by 8th grade you child will be begging you to transfer to a different school, if they can last till 8th grade. Hope u learn from my families mistakes

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

Kids are really mean to each other all the time and the teachers don't really care. Their solution is to not let the kids use their phones but that's just dumb. My kid came home from school a lot of days crying because of the way some other kids were treating him.

Some of the teachers were good while others were really bad, most of administration was mean and the school has lost a few really good teachers. There's a lot of weird kids there.

Amount of homework: no rating

I selected dont know becasue I dont know if any homework is submitted at this school beecause this school is accedemicley awful. Like dam, look at my spelling.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The math and science teachers for the 8th graders my 8th grade year where pretty good. All the social studys teachers where pretty good. Aside from that they are all a bunch of wierdos who are bad at teaching

Billings has been the greatest gift to our entire family. When we first enrolled our daughter we hoped the faculty would help us to raising a strong and independent critical thinker. At the time I thought this was a lofty goal. Boy, was I wrong. Billings has helped her to recognize the importance of her voice while keeping an open mind to the opinions of those around her. They have fulfilled our goal and taken it even further. The people at this school know the middle school mind. They study it and understand it in a way I don't but as a parent, should. We chose Billings for our daughter but it ended up being a great learning experience for the entire family. I feel the need to address the reviewer who insinuated these positive reviews must be fake. This accusation worries me that some families may opt not to send their child to Billings. Truth is, when we were looking for our daughter, your review and a few others made me hesitate. Thankfully I went with my gut on this one. I think the reason there are so many stellar reviews for such a small school is because many parents feel the way I feel about Billings. Passionate and grateful.

Billings is a great place for most kids. Everybody has a right to his or her opinion--but it is wrong for unhappy folks to suggest that the more numerous happy reviews were faked. During the past 10 years, very few families have pulled their children out of the school. During the same 10 years, the average number of alums visiting and/or volunteering at Billings each year has been almost equal to the number enrolled. The middle school years are challenging and issues arise, as they do at all schools, but at Billings there is a strong culture of respect, responsibility and restorative justice. This is reflected in the curriculum and the exemplary advisory program. Most Billings alums will tell you they were lucky to spend some years there, and they will be able to tell you why.

A nurturing, intentional school that nudges each student into doing his or her best. My daughter has loved it here and as I look over the past 2+ years I can see exactly how well-prepared she has been for high school. There are a few weak teachers but they seem to be self-selecting out.

Five and one star reviews are typical when the only people who comment are those who either love it or hate it. The haters comment to get back at the school for a perceived injustice, the lovers comment to counter the haters...and so it goes. I have been affiliated with Billings for 10 years . It's sad to say, but so few haters come through that I can pretty much identify them on this site. If the child is troubled or a trouble-maker and parents refuse to work with the school, they will leave unhappily. This goes for Billings and every school. But go to an open house - you'll interact with students who love to represent the school, see the work that students do in class, talk to teachers who love their work, listen to the passionate, articulate and dedicated head of school, and see photos of hand-on, minds-on, experiential learning of kids who love school. Is it for everyone? Nope. Choose well according to what your child needs, because they are as wonderfully different as the schools you see. But if you seek honest, compassionate, highly educated teachers who are enthusiastic about sharing their love for learning with your child, look at Billings.

I just graduated from billings a few weeks ago, and it was interesting. Let me just that if you are super concerned about academics, then I don't recommend billings. We didn't learn a whole lot that will likely translate to high school, with a few exceptions (mainly math, which is more or less your typical math class in terms of what is studied, but also language arts and foreign language). For example, billings has a different social studies class for every grade. In sixth grade, there is geography. In seventh grade, there is history. And in eighth grade, there is global studies. What is global studies you may ask? It was literally our teacher teaching us whatever the heck she wanted to teach us about, which did include some "global studies," but also included many unrelated subjects. For example, one class she lectured us for the entire time about logical fallacies, a perfectly good waste of 1 and a half hours that I don't think anyone learned from. The teachers are also hit or miss -- I had some really awesome teachers, like my eighth grade math teacher, eighth grade science teacher, and sixth grade geography/seventh grade history teacher (though now she only teaches (part 1)

Last modified Billings Middle School is a Private school that serves grades 6-8