Bad
Good

Posted June 24, 2014
I have been here my whole life. I started in kindergarten and stayed until eighth grade. It is a school where everybody has a voice and anybody can be who they want to be. It has always been under budgeted and has made up with their friendly community. I have learned so much here. Because of my math teacher I got a better math MSP score than 95% of the eighth grade students in seattle schools. Pinehurst is a school that everybody loves. I've never had so much fun at school.

Posted June 03, 2013
I only went there for a year, but I found that I really liked this school. If you do better in a smaller environment then this is the school for you. I found myself able to attend almost every day of school unless I was actually sick, whereas at my previous school I was "sick" at least once a week. In my experience the kids here are open to making new friends, as long as you are too. Now the teachers are amazing. I loved my teachers and I felt that I would be able to talk to them about assignments. This would be a pretty good school for someone with anxiety, but the students may have a hard time realizing that you want to talk with them, but you just have a really hard time doing so. This school is amazing for many reasons, and I found that kids aren't afraid to be themselves, they don't try to hide who they are, this is pretty rare at most schools.

Posted February 12, 2013
We love this school and all the teachers. My son is in kindergarten and he is thriving to learn new things every day. We really like the experiential learning approach and I think there are doing a great job at teaching respect, compassion and wonderful life learning technics. Just by looking at how the older kids in the school behave and interact make you see what a great school Pinehurst K8 is!

Pinehurst K-8 School 4

Posted October 11, 2012
Third year here and my kids love it. Secretary may be fancy but she loves the kids. Teachers are passionate and compassionate. Even the middle school kids seem happy! If you are tired of pretense and fashion shows taking precedence over substance and learning, this is the place for you and your kids

Pinehurst K-8 School 4

Posted April 05, 2012
Small and heart-felt, this school has taken great care of my daughter over 6 years and she loves all the experiential learning opportunities. The staff work hard and are creative about teaching to all kinds of minds and guiding kids to good chocies.

Pinehurst K-8 School 1

Posted April 05, 2012
Because the school is so small, it is understaffed, and the staff at this school is not willing to work hard to see the needs of the students are met. No experiential learning, no alternative discipline.

Posted November 07, 2011
Our son started 1st grade here this year and we have been very pleased. The school feels is small and all the classrooms are mixed grade. The community of students and teachers seems tight-knit. There is also much more critical recess and P.E. time for young kids than at other public schools. The school is an alternative school, and tends to appeal to those trying to escape the "teach to the test" mentality of the mainstream public schools. I have heard that the school's low test scores are due in large part to certain parents who object to the "teach to the test" focus so strongly that they keep their children home on test days. The school district counts their absence as a zero, which greatly pulls down the remaining students scores. Certainly the test scores reported on this site do not seem to reflect the academic rigor that I am seeing in the school's curriculum, or the passion of it's teachers. My son loves school and he is making rapid academic progress. Among the middle-school-aged kids there seems to be much excitement about their undefeated record this year in Ultimate Frisbee. And all the kids enjoy expert instruction in the use of school's climbing wall.

Posted October 23, 2011
We have had two children attending Pinehurst K-8, and we are incredibly grateful for the creative approach to learning supported by the staff and community. Our children have been inspired to be intellectually courageous, caring, and confident learners. This school is a true gem which deserves a second look by those seeking an intimate public school with high academic standards, experiential learning, and a focus on compassion for others.

Posted October 16, 2011
What I love about this school, in addition to the things other parents describe, is that when you enter the building, you see kids of all races playing and eating lunch together. This school really "gets" anti-racism. This is a great feature for everyone, but particularly important to me as the parent of a biracial child.

Posted October 15, 2011
Our daughter loves learning! Pinehurst K-8's teacher's approach to education deserve much credit in providing strong academic standards coupled with nurturing our daughter's interests, in academics, athletics, and the arts.

Pinehurst K-8 School
11530 12 Av NE, Seattle, WA  98125
Last modified Pinehurst K-8 School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.