K-5|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Perkins School has a strong emphasis on science and math and knows each student well. We keep work meaningful, and have created a climate of trust, decency and high expectations for all. (We also have a lot of fun.)
October 09, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

We have been so thrilled and grateful for our two children having attended and attending Perkins. For us, three values of Perkins make the school truly stand out - community, curiosity, and commitment. The staff, teachers, and families strongly believe in the school and together built an inclusive community of lots of laughs and respect. We were drawn to Perkins values of nurturing and expanding the innate curiosities of the children. And we have seen our children flourish as indenpendent thinkers with natural inquisitiveness at the world around them. The staff and teachers are committed to their work, and engage each student's unique strengths within a community of mutual respect and shared values. It's a remarkable school that nurtures, encourages, and inspires each child to grow and discover.

We have one child in 3rd grade at Perkins and a recent graduate. They have flourished in every grade level at Perkins--academically, physically, socially and emotionally--and both have developed a genuine love of learning. Our oldest left well-prepared for success in middle school as an advanced learner. The small class sizes and teacher/student ratios allow students to be challenged to reach their full academic potential, regardless of ‘level’. P.E. every day is an invaluable outlet that contributes success in the classroom. The teaching staff is empowered and engaged which is evident in their teaching and integrated curriculum. There is constantly a ‘buzz of excitement’ at the school whether it be students conducting a hands-on science experiment, solving a complex math problem, hosting a French café, playing a new instrument, or learning or experiencing something new. The school culture is inclusive and accepting which creates a uniquely warm and caring school community. I HIGHLY recommend Perkins to anyone looking for a well-rounded, engaging and nurturing elementary school experience!

I have one child currently attending Perkins and one who graduated from the school. I believe the school's integrated focus on socio-emotional growth along with a strong academic curriculum creates engaged learners who are not only advanced academically, but also know how to question and think critically. My husband and I wanted a school where our childeren would love learning. Since school has always been fun to them, I didn't fully appreciate how well-prepared Perkins graduates are until my oldest child entered middle school and had academic, analytical, and organizational skills beyond those of many of her new peers.

I have been so happy with Perkins for the past two years. Each new project or lesson makes me wish I were enrolled myself. I really wanted my son to walk away from elementary school with a zeal for learning and I think Perkins has been a great fit.

We have two daughters attending 1st and 3rd grades at Perkins. Both girls love to go to school! My older daughter attended a different school for kindergarten and 1st grade. At Perkins, she has come alive in a way she never did at the other school. Perkins teachers are outstanding, the curriculum is integrated and well thought out, and the school culture is joyful and warm. We appreciate all of the school specialists (music, art, PE, French language, and science) as well as the quality of the core teaching staff. We are delighted with our experience at Perkins and highly recommend this school to others looking for a small, progressive school that fosters a love of learning in children.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The small learning community made up of people with a shared love for education and learning is a wonderful inspiration for the kids.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers go above and beyond, are always individually accessible, and tailor their approach to each child.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is very reasonable and carefully balanced - no rote worksheets, but meaningful projects and individual assignments.

I have a student who has spent the past 4 years at Perkins and is excited about spending all of the elementary school years there. We came in as a family with high academic expectations paired with a genuine love for learning and community. We found all of the above at Perkins. Our child loves the science program (the Perkins science classroom and experience is one of a kind), the caring community that brings out the best in all children, and especially the 1:1 attention that succeeds in supporting each child to perform at their highest level. I am already confident that our child will enter middle school with above average academic readiness, a passion for learning, and, most of all, happiness and confidence. We looked at a lot of independent schools, and this one stood out by far.

Perkins is unique. It has a strong academic program that keeps students of all abilities engaged - including the many who are "highly capable." But it also is warm, friendly and very caring - individualizing when appropriate, flexible and supportive. Parents know what their child is experiencing, and it is soooo rewarding to see the students excited to be at school! Thank you, Perkins!!

Last modified The Perkins School is a Private school that serves grades K-5