Seattle, WA
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Perkins School has a strong emphasis on science and math and knows each student well. We keep work meaningful, and have created a climate of trust, decency and high expectations for all. (We also have a lot of fun.)
October 9, 2014

Posted October 29, 2014
My child just recently graduated from Perkins and is now attending a private middle school. I feel our child was extremely well prepared to move on from elementary school to middle school in a variety of aspects- socially, emotionally, as well as academically. The Head of School at Perkins has hired amazing thoughtful, caring teachers. The kids have PE every day. Most remarkable is their science program. Perkins has a brand new Living Science Building that is self sustainable. The playground is imaginative and is home to a great little chicken coop. The current Head of School came to Perkins in our child's 4th grade and made some significant changes to the building and the academic program. There is a huge focus on Math and Science. The teachers are provided with professional development opportunities. The classroom sizes are small. The kids are provided with individual help when needed. All the teachers know ALL the kids! The kids get music, language classes, art classes, from a variety of Specialist Teachers. The school building is intimate and quite a wonderful place for learning.

Posted October 24, 2014
Our family is very pleased with our experience at Perkins. Our son is in his 3rd year at Perkins. His happiness and excitement for learning and the quality of academics is a joy to watch. He has the opportunity to explore ideas and challenge himself with the enthusiastic and supportive approach from his teachers. As parents, we've felt teachers and school leadership are available for communication. The school truly listens to parent feedback and the size allows them to be nimble, make changes and improve. We've been able to be involved and set those limits for ourselves. You get a true sense that your time is both respected and appreciated. We are thrilled that not only did our son find a fun, social community, but we did too!

Posted October 17, 2014
Very happy at Perkins! I could go on and on about the innovative, integrated curriculum or the passionate, engaging teachers or the new cutting-edge science building....Perkins' list of strengths and achievements is impressive. But when it comes down to it, what I really love about this school and what makes it a stand-out in my mind, is the community. I like the fact that every adult in the building (including many parents) knows every child's name. The families have become friends. The teachers take the time to get to know their students. The atmosphere is inclusive, collaborative and positive. There are many opportunities for parents to be involved, teachers are accessible and leadership is constantly working to evolve and strengthen the programs and facilities based on what families want and need. Head of School, Barry Wright, is an out-of-the-box thinker who is always looking for new ways to bring lessons to life in refreshingly unique ways. If school had been like this when I was a kid, I am sure I would have been a much better student! If you are looking for a well-rounded education in a warm, inviting environment, Perkins is the school for you.

Posted October 17, 2014
This is our third year at Perkins and we are really happy there. They keep kids active with PE five days a week and lots of outdoor experiences. Extent of homework is thoughtfully considered to hit the sweet spot of keeping kids interested as opposed to becoming a burden, and the teachers seek feedback from parents regarding the amount and type. The individualized attention to each child's educational development is paramount. When deciding whether our son, who has a late summer birthday, was ready for first grade, we were offered multiple meetings with his teacher, the first grade teacher, and the Head of School. The discussion was a collaborative team effort - they had lots of insight and input, listened to us, and answered all of our questions. They even offered to meet further when we felt we had all of the information to make our decision! Most of all, it's a place that sparks great curiosity in the kids - our son has tremendous enthusiasm for what he's learning. Good things come in small packages.

Posted October 13, 2014
Excellent education in a warm thoughtful community. I sent my two sons to Perkins (one just graduated and the other is in 4th grade.) Both boys learn very differently from each other and Perkins was nimble enough to provide them exactly what they needed to thrive. The teachers and staff are an amazing team of caring, warm people who really take the time to get to know each child. The administration is creative, dynamic and collaborative. They actively work on partnering with the parents to ensure each child feels connected and academically challenged in a safe environment. The curriculum is innovative and fun and focuses on science, math and reading. My boys also loved the after school program - which is essential for two working parents. And while it is early in the year, it is clear that my older son was very well prepared for Middle School because of his time at Perkins. I can say without hesitation, Perkins was the very best place for my two boys.

Posted October 10, 2014
The Perkins School is wonderful! Barry Wright, the Head of School, is smart, caring, creative and thoughtful. The teachers are fabulous also. Each child receives individualized attention every day. The new completely green science building is one-of-a kind. We have watched our son blossom from a child who didn't like reading to now loving reading (and reading at the 9th grade level). The science, math, physical education, character ed, and language programs are fantastic. Simply stated, our child loves his school.

Posted October 08, 2014
Perkins is an amazing school...period. I would have said the same thing when my oldest daughter graduated in 2010 as I do now in 2014. Over the course of six years, I sent three children to Perkins, all very different children with different strengths and weaknesses. Because of the small size and teacher collaboration, Perkins fosters learning at a variety of ability levels. Moreover, the collaboration and in depth integrated curriculum in science, social studies, math and writing enriches a greater understanding and awareness across multiple subjects. Whenever a child can get their hands into a project, being digging in the soil for science, using math to build Greek monuments, playing instruments with a real band, using technology to enrich the learning, and experience firsthand what it means to give back to their community, the lessons become a reality for the child cemented in their memory far better than any text book lesson. My children all came from public schools and have since moved on to both public and private middle schools. Although different children, they unanimously say, "Perkins was the best school ever!"

The Perkins School 2

Posted September 18, 2014
My daughter attended Perkins from September 2013 to May 2013. I pulled her out early because it was such a bad fit. The environment is loud and chaotic, some of the teachers are seasoned professionals and some are green as grass so it's the luck of the draw. My daughter never felt safe at Perkins because the boundaries were never clear and rather than address this issue they constantly tried to manage her behavior, which was a direct result of not feeling safe. I brought this to the attention of the school on numerous occassions and they consistently said it my daughter was the problem. I put her in another school with twice the class size (from 12 to 30 kids) and she's calm, focused and thriving under a seasoned, respected teacher so it wasn't my daughter it was the environment. Some kids thrive in a loud, chaotic classroom while others don't so keep that in mind when selecting a school for your child. The fact that there was 25% attrition in my daughter's 2nd grade speaks volumes. The leadership's priorities are the schools reputation, which isn't as good as these reviews or the attrition rate suggests.

Posted March 27, 2013
Our child absolutely loves the Perkins School and is thriving there. She is academically gifted, and we really struggled with the school choice decision. There are some great schools in this area, but the Perkins School is the only one where they could accommodate our child at her level with individualized learning; provide a safe and nurturing environment; and facilitate a love of knowledge through experiential learning. The Perkins School provides an excellent curriculum with a strong focus on science; and houses outstanding leadership and staff. Every single adult in that building is a high quality individual that exhibits enthusiasm for education and commitment to the children. Whether they are turning the class into an "aquarium" to learn about marine biology or transforming the upper level classrooms to the "silk road" to learn about history of trade, your child will experience a real depth of learning and have a fantastic time too! We are so pleased to have our daughter exposed to the positive learning environment at our school, I really can't say enough good things! Hope you will check it out for yourself.

Posted March 27, 2013
Our daughter cannot wait to get to school in the morning. She says, "I feel like Perkins was made just for me!" Her classes, her friends, the faculty - she loves them all. We were especially glad to see they added a 2nd teacher in the early-K/Kindergarten class. The amount of diversity and caring packed into that little school is astonishing. The kids are absolutely thriving.

The Perkins School