K-5|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

The Perkins School has a strong emphasis on science and math and knows each student well. We keep work meaningful, and have created a climate of trust, decency and high expectations for all. (We also have a lot of fun.)
October 09, 2014

Bad
Good

We have two children at Perkins who have very different interests, strengths, and areas of growth. Yet, Perkins provides both of them with the tools and support they need to be engaged learners. The class sizes are small enough that teachers can provide student-driven learning and coaching, yet large enough to provide the academic challenges and social opportunities that are critical during elementary school. We really value the Perkins model which combines strong academics in a hands-on fashion with lessons in socio-emotional growth. As an example, our Kindergartner learned about the roles of the amygdala and hippocampus in regulating emotion while talking about how to handle strong emotions using a glitter jar to demonstrate. Our family also values the specialty classes in music, art, French, and daily PE, all of which teach necessary skills and build on the school's strong learning environment.

My child just recently graduated from Perkins and is now attending a private middle school. I feel our child was extremely well prepared to move on from elementary school to middle school in a variety of aspects- socially, emotionally, as well as academically. The Head of School at Perkins has hired amazing thoughtful, caring teachers. The kids have PE every day. Most remarkable is their science program. Perkins has a brand new Living Science Building that is self sustainable. The playground is imaginative and is home to a great little chicken coop. The current Head of School came to Perkins in our child's 4th grade and made some significant changes to the building and the academic program. There is a huge focus on Math and Science. The teachers are provided with professional development opportunities. The classroom sizes are small. The kids are provided with individual help when needed. All the teachers know ALL the kids! The kids get music, language classes, art classes, from a variety of Specialist Teachers. The school building is intimate and quite a wonderful place for learning.

Our family is very pleased with our experience at Perkins. Our son is in his 3rd year at Perkins. His happiness and excitement for learning and the quality of academics is a joy to watch. He has the opportunity to explore ideas and challenge himself with the enthusiastic and supportive approach from his teachers. As parents, we've felt teachers and school leadership are available for communication. The school truly listens to parent feedback and the size allows them to be nimble, make changes and improve. We've been able to be involved and set those limits for ourselves. You get a true sense that your time is both respected and appreciated. We are thrilled that not only did our son find a fun, social community, but we did too!

Very happy at Perkins! I could go on and on about the innovative, integrated curriculum or the passionate, engaging teachers or the new cutting-edge science building....Perkins' list of strengths and achievements is impressive. But when it comes down to it, what I really love about this school and what makes it a stand-out in my mind, is the community. I like the fact that every adult in the building (including many parents) knows every child's name. The families have become friends. The teachers take the time to get to know their students. The atmosphere is inclusive, collaborative and positive. There are many opportunities for parents to be involved, teachers are accessible and leadership is constantly working to evolve and strengthen the programs and facilities based on what families want and need. Head of School, Barry Wright, is an out-of-the-box thinker who is always looking for new ways to bring lessons to life in refreshingly unique ways. If school had been like this when I was a kid, I am sure I would have been a much better student! If you are looking for a well-rounded education in a warm, inviting environment, Perkins is the school for you.

This is our third year at Perkins and we are really happy there. They keep kids active with PE five days a week and lots of outdoor experiences. Extent of homework is thoughtfully considered to hit the sweet spot of keeping kids interested as opposed to becoming a burden, and the teachers seek feedback from parents regarding the amount and type. The individualized attention to each child's educational development is paramount. When deciding whether our son, who has a late summer birthday, was ready for first grade, we were offered multiple meetings with his teacher, the first grade teacher, and the Head of School. The discussion was a collaborative team effort - they had lots of insight and input, listened to us, and answered all of our questions. They even offered to meet further when we felt we had all of the information to make our decision! Most of all, it's a place that sparks great curiosity in the kids - our son has tremendous enthusiasm for what he's learning. Good things come in small packages.

Excellent education in a warm thoughtful community. I sent my two sons to Perkins (one just graduated and the other is in 4th grade.) Both boys learn very differently from each other and Perkins was nimble enough to provide them exactly what they needed to thrive. The teachers and staff are an amazing team of caring, warm people who really take the time to get to know each child. The administration is creative, dynamic and collaborative. They actively work on partnering with the parents to ensure each child feels connected and academically challenged in a safe environment. The curriculum is innovative and fun and focuses on science, math and reading. My boys also loved the after school program - which is essential for two working parents. And while it is early in the year, it is clear that my older son was very well prepared for Middle School because of his time at Perkins. I can say without hesitation, Perkins was the very best place for my two boys.

The Perkins School is wonderful! Barry Wright, the Head of School, is smart, caring, creative and thoughtful. The teachers are fabulous also. Each child receives individualized attention every day. The new completely green science building is one-of-a kind. We have watched our son blossom from a child who didn't like reading to now loving reading (and reading at the 9th grade level). The science, math, physical education, character ed, and language programs are fantastic. Simply stated, our child loves his school.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted October 09, 2014

Perkins is an amazing school...period. I would have said the same thing when my oldest daughter graduated in 2010 as I do now in 2014. Over the course of six years, I sent three children to Perkins, all very different children with different strengths and weaknesses. Because of the small size and teacher collaboration, Perkins fosters learning at a variety of ability levels. Moreover, the collaboration and in depth integrated curriculum in science, social studies, math and writing enriches a greater understanding and awareness across multiple subjects. Whenever a child can get their hands into a project, being digging in the soil for science, using math to build Greek monuments, playing instruments with a real band, using technology to enrich the learning, and experience firsthand what it means to give back to their community, the lessons become a reality for the child cemented in their memory far better than any text book lesson. My children all came from public schools and have since moved on to both public and private middle schools. Although different children, they unanimously say, "Perkins was the best school ever!"

My daughter attended Perkins from September 2013 to May 2013. I pulled her out early because it was such a bad fit. The environment is loud and chaotic, some of the teachers are seasoned professionals and some are green as grass so it's the luck of the draw. My daughter never felt safe at Perkins because the boundaries were never clear and rather than address this issue they constantly tried to manage her behavior, which was a direct result of not feeling safe. I brought this to the attention of the school on numerous occassions and they consistently said it my daughter was the problem. I put her in another school with twice the class size (from 12 to 30 kids) and she's calm, focused and thriving under a seasoned, respected teacher so it wasn't my daughter it was the environment. Some kids thrive in a loud, chaotic classroom while others don't so keep that in mind when selecting a school for your child. The fact that there was 25% attrition in my daughter's 2nd grade speaks volumes. The leadership's priorities are the schools reputation, which isn't as good as these reviews or the attrition rate suggests.

Last modified The Perkins School is a Private school that serves grades K-5