New Start

Public | 9-12 | 111 students

Posted January 8, 2010

I really like it at new start! it's not bad at all. friendly people and people dedicated to changing there lives around!

Posted October 14, 2009

i love new start because the teachers are cool,class's are small and it's fun to be there.

Posted October 3, 2009

I have never met a group of teachers who are more commited to doing what is best for their students. I am impressed daily by their commitment and creativity.

Posted September 30, 2009

New start is a very good school. I would deffanitly reccomend this school to anybody who thinks they dont have a chance at graduating. This school has helped sooo many kids who didn't think they could ever make it. I loveee New Start (: & i love all the teachers; they are more then just teachers, they are friends.. they always have our backs no matter what the problem is.

Posted September 29, 2009

because we have one of the highest graduation rates.Also the students have oppertunities that other students don't. the atmoshpere is great and the staff is too i would recommed this school to anyone of my friends or family =]

Posted September 17, 2009

The staff as a whole is there for the students. They give all their free time to help better the school and better the education for the students. The teachers are more than just teachers of math, science, art, reading, etc....they teach the students life skills that they need. I have never been at a school that the students were upset to have summer break...well...New Start is that school. The students enjoy the classes and the staff. Love New Start!!!

Posted September 17, 2009

New Start provides students an awesome alternative to traditional high school. Here they are in small classrooms and are really able to buckle down and get the credits they need to successfully graduate.

Posted September 17, 2009

New Start gives new hope to kids with little hope of their own. My friend Katy Stone teaches at this school, and I'm just thrilled with the difference she and the other teachers are making in the lives of at-risk students! Kids are staying in school who would probably have dropped out by now in other schools. The graduation rate is inspiring and the number of students going on to some level of higher education is awesome!!

Posted September 16, 2009

New Start High School reaches out to students who don't fit into the traditional mold and helps bring out individual potential, working with individual strengths, to create a program that is truly successful. The teachers and staff work overtime for the love of what they do, with very few resources. It is an innovative program, and they need more dollars to help them in their mission.

Posted September 16, 2009

You are right to state on the main page that there is more to a great school than just state test results. Our students here at New Start have a hard enough time coming to school in the morning due to the many issues they face when they leave our building every day; passing state tests is difficult when you are sleeping on a different couch every night. To outsiders, our kids are 'lost causes.' To us, they are bright, motivated, hopeful young individuals who have dreams for a better future. They help in designing curriculum that is innovative and interesting (cinematography, rocket science, an in-depth study of the 1960's). I have seen my students face challenges that would bring me to my knees, and yet they keep on going. I have seen them get knocked down many times, and yet the next day they are back in the classroom, asking questions and wanting to learn. They teach me about the tenacity of the human spirit every minute of every day. Our staff and students are proud of New Start, despite the fact that we are housed in a ramshackle, run down elementary school -- 90% of our students said if we didn't exist, they would drop out and not attend school again. I love my co-workers, my boss, my students, and most of all I love my school and the opportunities we have to make a difference in the lives of kids that the rest of the world has given up on. For me, that makes us a 5-star school to beat all 5-star schools.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 16, 2009

The students here have taken their education and future into their own hands. We truly have a community, a family, that supports and cares about each other. We are helping students grow as people, not just as test scores.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 16, 2009

Fantastic school - meets kids where they are, and provides a way for high risk kids to make it through school, AND learn something. It's a huge asset to our community.

Posted September 16, 2009

This school is dedicated to the students and everyone works hard to help them succeed.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

Low income0%

Hispanic8%
Low income12%
Not special education13%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

22 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

16 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 11N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 67%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

614 SW 120th St