Seattle, WA

Posted January 08, 2010
I really like it at new start! it's not bad at all. friendly people and people dedicated to changing there lives around!

Posted October 14, 2009
i love new start because the teachers are cool,class's are small and it's fun to be there.

Posted October 03, 2009
I have never met a group of teachers who are more commited to doing what is best for their students. I am impressed daily by their commitment and creativity.

Posted September 30, 2009
New start is a very good school. I would deffanitly reccomend this school to anybody who thinks they dont have a chance at graduating. This school has helped sooo many kids who didn't think they could ever make it. I loveee New Start (: & i love all the teachers; they are more then just teachers, they are friends.. they always have our backs no matter what the problem is.

New Start 4

Posted September 29, 2009
because we have one of the highest graduation rates.Also the students have oppertunities that other students don't. the atmoshpere is great and the staff is too i would recommed this school to anyone of my friends or family =]

Posted September 17, 2009
The staff as a whole is there for the students. They give all their free time to help better the school and better the education for the students. The teachers are more than just teachers of math, science, art, reading, etc....they teach the students life skills that they need. I have never been at a school that the students were upset to have summer break...well...New Start is that school. The students enjoy the classes and the staff. Love New Start!!!

Posted September 17, 2009
New Start provides students an awesome alternative to traditional high school. Here they are in small classrooms and are really able to buckle down and get the credits they need to successfully graduate.

Posted September 17, 2009
New Start gives new hope to kids with little hope of their own. My friend Katy Stone teaches at this school, and I'm just thrilled with the difference she and the other teachers are making in the lives of at-risk students! Kids are staying in school who would probably have dropped out by now in other schools. The graduation rate is inspiring and the number of students going on to some level of higher education is awesome!!

Posted September 16, 2009
New Start High School reaches out to students who don't fit into the traditional mold and helps bring out individual potential, working with individual strengths, to create a program that is truly successful. The teachers and staff work overtime for the love of what they do, with very few resources. It is an innovative program, and they need more dollars to help them in their mission.

Posted September 16, 2009
You are right to state on the main page that there is more to a great school than just state test results. Our students here at New Start have a hard enough time coming to school in the morning due to the many issues they face when they leave our building every day; passing state tests is difficult when you are sleeping on a different couch every night. To outsiders, our kids are 'lost causes.' To us, they are bright, motivated, hopeful young individuals who have dreams for a better future. They help in designing curriculum that is innovative and interesting (cinematography, rocket science, an in-depth study of the 1960's). I have seen my students face challenges that would bring me to my knees, and yet they keep on going. I have seen them get knocked down many times, and yet the next day they are back in the classroom, asking questions and wanting to learn. They teach me about the tenacity of the human spirit every minute of every day. Our staff and students are proud of New Start, despite the fact that we are housed in a ramshackle, run down elementary school -- 90% of our students said if we didn't exist, they would drop out and not attend school again. I love my co-workers, my boss, my students, and most of all I love my school and the opportunities we have to make a difference in the lives of kids that the rest of the world has given up on. For me, that makes us a 5-star school to beat all 5-star schools.

614 SW 120th St, Seattle, WA  98146
Last modified New Start is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
New Start Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top