Seattle, WA

Posted November 12, 2013
Our daughter is thriving at KapKa School. Things we love: small class sizes, top-notch teachers, rich curriculum that encourages investigation and independent thinking, strong community traditions, public service orientation, ample outdoor time, solid literacy and math teaching. At KapKa, education is focused on the whole child, not just meeting test scores. My daughter is learning how to be in a community, be a friend, talk about emotions and problems. On the first day of school, she was greeted by an older "buddy" who took her hand and showed her around her new school, a small example of how caring for others is modeled and taught. This week the students are working to prepare Thanksgiving dinner for elderly people in the neighborhood; in the spring they will be raising and releasing salmon. Music and art are ample and woven into their daily learning and rhythm of the day. (My child is always singing now.) If you are interested in a small, rich educational environment for your child, I highly encourage you to check out KapKa. Our family is the better for it.

Posted September 25, 2013
How I feel about Kapka is hard to put into words. My daughter started Kindergarten there only a few short weeks ago and yet we already feel like we are a part of such a strong, supportive and loving community. I love the wonderful balance they seem to have achieved between independent exploration and teamwork, all with a focus on experiential learning. I was so worried that school would just be an exercise in memorizing some obsolete curriculum. Nothing could be further than the truth at Kapka--instead we found a place that honors our daughter's uniqueness and will no doubt instill in her a love of learning that will last a lifetime. In short, if you are looking for a holistic educational experience that your child will not only love, but THRIVE in....look no further! This is the best decision our family could have made and we thank our lucky stars that we found it :)

Posted September 25, 2013
Both of my children have been to KapKa for their early elementary years. While other schools required us to drop students at the gate or meet a bus, at KapKa we felt truly welcomed at school. We could visit for lunch, talk to teachers, know every child in the class and meet other parents for coffee. This true community provides more than a nice social group - it provides the kind of learning community where my kids felt really safe, important and confident to share who they were rather than fit in with the needs of an institution. I love the depth of KapKa teaching, the inquiry based methods and the expertise of the teachers in crafting a truly differentiated curriculum which meets the needs of different learners. My elder son ended up in a gifted program at a large public school, my younger one is more arty. KapKa has been a lovely fit for both, and a great start for school for the whole family.

Posted September 24, 2013
KapKa Cooperative lives by its mission to provide an engaging community where teachers, students and parents interact and create the best possible learning environment. Every voice is heard and every child is given careful attention. Just by spending a few hours a week at the cooperative, I get to know the teachers, staff, and other parents & kids well. I get to see what my son learns and how he grows. It's an empowering experience for any child and parent.

Posted May 29, 2012
We love KapKa school! Our daughter has been attending for the past 2 years, and we plan to also send our son there when he gets old enough. We are so glad that the school has expanded to include 3-5, it means that we can continue with this progressive, cooperative education all the way through 5th grade. The teachers are fabulous! There is incredible energy with new team members joining, and both progressive academics and social-emotional development are focused on in the classroom and school-wide community. We've been so pleased with our daughter's academic development and her self-confidence in expressing her feelings. Our daughter's love of learning is supported and she can't wait to go to school every day. The students benefit from small class sizes and every child feels truly recognized and known by the teachers. We love the cooperative community aspect of the school too. Our daughter feels safe and nurtured there, and we love that we can be friends with our school community. There is time commitment as with any cooperative, and even though both my husband and I work outside the home, we've been able to make it work. It's actually easier than we anticipated!

Posted September 29, 2011
Kapka was one of the best decisions we have made for our family. Our daughter is in her second year at Kapka and absolutely loves school and loves learning. We chose Kapka because we thought it would be the best place for her social-emotional development. After three years of holding on to her teachers leg in preschool and only rarely interacting with other children, we were concerned she could easily get lost in a big school. Kapka turned out to be a great decision- within her first week at Kapka she was comfortable and making friends, and by first grade she owns the place! The learning environment at Kapka is fun and stimulating with amazing teachers and our daughter is excited to learn everyday. I will say that as a family with two working parents and a younger child we were really apprehensive about starting a co-op initially- we nearly backed out a month before her kindergarten year. But once we got started it has been quite manageable for us. In the end we get so much more from this community than what we put in.

Posted September 27, 2011
The new location is fabulous, the teachers are devoted, energetic, and oh-so-talented, and the focus on social/emotional growth as well as academic growth is a true gift. I couldn't ask for a better school for my daughter.

Kapka Cooperative Primary School 2

Posted May 21, 2011
The school is not for every one. Kapka has so many positive intentions and some very committed teachers and parents but it falls short in its delivery at times. When push comes to shove, it seems to unravel in great uncertainty. Two teachers are leaving and the search is on for a new space and new faculty. They are adding a 3-5 program which is great but seems to be the focus of a lot of the schools energy. They really mean well and do care for the children at the school. It swings back and forth between great highs and great lows. It is a wonderful alternative to public school as it costs less than most private schools in town but that is because it is a coop, demanding a lot of time from the parents.

Posted February 07, 2010
KapKa is the best place for our daughter. Their focus is on developing a strong social-emotional foundation in the young child and I have never seen it done better. The children are taught to care for each other with no exceptions, which creates a loving, inclusive community. My child loves going to school and loves learning, which is such a gift!

Posted January 21, 2010
As a high school math teacher, I have been incredibly impressed with KapKa's ability to give my daughters a conceptual foundation in the core academic subjects. Children learn through hands-on, authentic activities which go beyond rote skills. At the same time, children are learning how to work together and be part of a community in an environment where they are supported by adults. You couldn't find a better start!

Kapka Cooperative Primary School
510 N 49th Street, Seattle, WA  98103
Last modified Kapka Cooperative Primary School is a Private school that serves grades K-5
Kapka Cooperative Primary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top