Shorecrest High School

Public | 9-12 | 1250 students

Posted May 6, 2013

As a student with ADHD, depression, and an anxiety disorder, I have trouble with most schools and their methods of teaching and assigning work. Schools are required to offer help and accommodations for mental illness, but at Shorecrest you have to fight tooth and nail to get it, and even after doing that I wasn't given any help. My brother had dropped out because of this, while I'm struggling to get through a second senior year. In all, I'm extremely disappointed with the administration. The only upside is the great performing arts program, but that doesn't seem to be a high priority with the administration. Teachers tend to be hit or miss, with some amazing teachers and some absolutely terrible excuses for educations.

Posted January 23, 2013

My daughter graduates this year. She adores this school, but it must be said--she's a freak: Self-motivated, mature, tireless worker. The big surprise ffor us is the degree of school spirit she feels even though she could not care less for sports. What's worked? Fabulous teachers (she missed the duds), strong academics, award-winning lit/arts magazine, ultimate frisbee, coffee house, theater arts, and again . . . teachers-teachers-teachers. I cannnot speak for the experience of the less-academically inclined. This is a diverse student population with a fair percentage of low-income and immigrant children. For what I can see, they're doing the job. My son's experience as a freshman has been positive as well. He's a nerd, and has felt welcomed and connected. An awesome start, I'd say.

Posted January 11, 2012

For a public school, this school is decent, but it leaves a lot to be desired. College-bound students are given little help with the process as the administration focuses all of its resources on helping the lazy students who aren't on track to graduate. The soccer team is amazing and the band program is strong, but when it comes to getting into college, you have to be 100% self motivated. A lot of drugs too.

Posted November 4, 2009

Shorecrest High School has inspiring teachers, great school spirit, strong academics, and many wonderful programs like the literary coffee house events, award-winning choral and instrumental ensembles, and the highland dancers and pipers.

Posted November 3, 2009

My stepdaughter is getting a great education at Shorecrest, where she has many opportunities to participate in wonderful programs like the high school orchestra, literary magazine and Highland dance team. She is enjoying all aspects of her high school - social and academic.

Posted October 3, 2009

Shorecrest has great teachers, everyone is really nice, and we have lots of school spirit.

Posted September 16, 2009

Shorecrest High School has done an awesome job teaching and mentoring two of my three grandchildren (one's not there yet).

Posted September 16, 2009

School spirit is great in all aspects; students respect and support music, arts, drama, sports and literature.

Posted March 14, 2009

I go to shorecrest and it is awesome! maybe there's a lot of drugs and gangs but just don't hang around those people then...it's just like any school. Everyone's so friendly and spirited and nice! The teachers are awesome, and I love the honors/AP program

Posted March 7, 2009

I love Shorecrest! Everyone is nice, open, and so spirited. There are some issues, of course, but it wouldn't be high school without them.

Posted November 20, 2008

I've had three children go through this school. All three went to a diffrent program in their senior years..Shorecrest and it's teachers failed to provide what students need to achieve their goals..Shoreline Community College helped each one of our kids..and now they are on to careers. with NO thanks to Shorecrest..Wish I would have pulled them out earlier!!!!

Posted November 16, 2008

Gangs, Violence, Drugs its horrible! After my sons Sophmore year at Shorecrest I sent him right to Shorewood. It was the best decision of our lives. He loves the positive atmosphere and the great teachers Shorewood provides.

Posted September 24, 2008

School environment scheduling prepares student for a 4 year college. Providing each students with a mac laptop computer is awesome. Digital photo, social psychology, math, & other classes made my daughter very excited in attending this school.

Posted August 5, 2008

I am going to be a junior at Shorecrest high school this fall. To be perfectly honest, I don't really like Shorecrest that much. Yes, the performing arts programs are amazing, but the emphasis is mostly put on the football team (which isn't even that good) and band. Other programs don't get much recognition at all. There is also a lack of classroom structure, and the rules are very slack. I can't wait to be a senior.

Posted November 26, 2007

I think shorecrest is a pretty good school. The teachers are outstanding, the music program is amazing, the extracurriculars are good. My daughter is pretty happy (as happy as a teenager can be about attending high school). Even though she is pretty 'different' in many ways, she is not harassed or bullied and has a circle of friends.

Posted April 21, 2007

The B student that wants to go to college does not get much help at this school, only those that qualify for AP or vocational bound get the necessary help that is needed.

Posted June 16, 2006

Shorecrest High School is overall a very good school, as are most schools in the Shoreline district. We have a variety of interesting classes, and the teachers are all dedicated to their chosen profession. It is nice to know that you are being taught by people that enjoy what they do. The one complaint I have is that the Performing Arts programs do not receive as much recognition as the sports programs, and that is very disappointing to those involved.

Posted April 19, 2006

This school has the potential to change a lot of students lives, the rules are too lenient. not much personal attention is paid to students who really need it.

Posted September 14, 2005

Very fun school, kinda boring at times, active, sports centered though
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 22, 2005

Shorecrest is the best High School around. Ofcourse, kids will be kids. If your son was being bullyed, it should have reported it to security/administration and something would have been done. Shorecrest is a quality school, and anyone can find something that they want to do to meet people, form friendships, learn new skills, etc.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students58%

Limited English20%

All Students50%

All Students36%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

364 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

326 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

285 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 13N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 78%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15343 25th Ave N.E.