Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The teachers are effective in 'no child left behind' but not in 'challenging all students.'

Amount of homework: Disagree

This young person loves homework and needs more. Perhaps this bilingual student who also takes private music lessons belongs at Emerald Heights where she can be challenged by other gifted students so she won't be bored.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Silverdale Elementary has changed it's Birthday invitation policy and in so doing requires students to invite the whole classroom to a private Birthday celebration whether they know the other students or not. This is unfair to the Birthday family because they incur an additional cost for the party by including the whole class. It's dishonest because individuals have to be invited that may not respect the birthday student. The school doesn't promote integrity because the birthday student learns from this process that it's more important to be 'nice' on a superficial level with a group than build close honest friendships with a few individuals.

Birthday invitation rules have certainly changed since my 3 children attended Silverdale Elementary School. We were able to invite our child's close friends and not required to invite the entire class to the house. This allowed our children to learn that we valued honest relationships in the safety of our homes while respecting all classmates. It also conveyed the importance of a few quality friendships rather than quantity acquaintances.

Regarding the situation with handing invitations to a birthday party is nonsense. I strongly dislike the idea that school authorities can decide who to invite to birthday party and how it has to be done. I will not submit any lists of the invited children to the office. With all my respect, I do not give the rights to school or to someone else to inform the private life of members of my family. My daughter handed invitations disclose aside from the teacher and her teacher knew about invitations. Children simply do it without drawing attention of adults. If our school worries so much about wounded feelings of uninvited children, it is advisable to remember, that envy is one of the most low and unworthy feelings of human beings and explain it to the children, when it is necessary, and school should never teach children to lie. Also, even when I get the permission from school to invite children we want, the other kids are steill not invited and they will not feel any better. For all of us, parents, teachers and the principal, it is necessary to remember that truth and freedom are the most important principles and to teach children to rely on those values. Any adult knows that the lie is the beginning of the end of any relationship. I understand how much responsibility the teacher and the principal are having, but they should never forget the reality of the situation. I expect that parents will support me and this absurd ruin.

My oldest son attended this school before our move to NY and loved it. The teachers were very hands on and listened to parent concerns, the best of them was my sons kinder teacher, Mr. Scott. The school could use a bit more parking but other then that it was amazing.

The school parking lot is the worst, I had another parent get out of her car and curse me out because I was blocking the student cross walk. She threatened to call the cops on me because I wouldn't move. Another time I walked across the parking lot and didn't use the cross walk when I was by myself to go inside to pick up my son..the teacher proceeded to yell at me and follow me I inside the school and make a huge scene about me not using a cross walk. I'm an adult! The principal has an excuse for everytime I point out something wrong that I have noticed. I'm not sure that I will let my child come back to this school next year. Not impressed

I have had three children attend Silverdale Elementary, one of whom has learning disabilities; my youngest is still there. The entire staff is amazing from administration to office staff to teachers to paraeducators.

I am extremely disatisfied with the leadership role from the principal and the accountability of her actions. I wish I had more than 1062 characters left to sumarize my distaste, but in a short saying...."rude and unprofessional".

I was very disappointed with this school. The leadership does not establish adequate expectations from their staff. The staff is ill informed on programs/options offered by the district to meet the needs of their students. If you have a very typical easygoing student you may be satisfied with this school. However, many students assigned to this school request being transfered to other schools.

Last modified Silverdale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.