Snohomish High School

Public | 9-12 | 1736 students

Posted August 22, 2013

I really wouldn't want to go anywhere else. The school spirit is terrific, and despite the size, there is still very few instances of bullying and fighting, at least from my viewpoint. Now I am also coming from the perspective of an ASB officer, but I love to go to this school, and it is super easy to get involved. Although I do understand what some of these former comments are referring to when they say if you have not lived here for generations you are not as easily accepted, but this truly is a great community, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Posted October 25, 2010

The staff who go beyond educating their students. The location is right in town-in the historical district. Wonderful traditions - serpentine parade and spirit week during homecoming. Strong academic programs, great diversity of clubs, amazing variety of athletics and a community that supports them. And the beautiful BIG TREE where students and parents meet.

Posted November 5, 2009

I came to this district after being in Seattle and the education was so much better I had to run to catch up, but now that i have its still a challenging environment.

Posted November 4, 2009

it's bad. if you haven't lived in snohomish for 5 or more years, they won't accept you. snohomish is a trap, once you move here you never leave; there's generations of families here. the majority of them are not friendly, or really welcoming in any way. this school has good classes, teachers and extra curricular activities, but the social aspect of the school is terrible. i have seen quite a few new kids come here, and they rarely ever really find a place where they fit in and are accepted. and the ones who have found their place didn't find it for a long time, most of the students don't give someone who isn't in their clique the time of day.

Posted July 8, 2009

My eldest son transferred in as a junior from overseas and quickly assimilated due to the excellent teaching staff and administration. The academics were rigorous, as were the extra-curricular activities (of which there were many opportunities presented, including non-sport-related). Additionally, parental involvement is encouraged and even required to some degree. My son graduated with not only high academic achievement, but also a greater sense of responsibility overall. We were very pleased with the school.

Posted April 24, 2008

When I first came to this school, I nearly had to pull teath to get people to be social. The entire mindset in my opinoin is very limited if you yourself have not been in the community for a few years. Despite the vast amount of school spirit, it is difficult to just get into the flow of things. The teachers are very nice and the school in general has decent programs. There is a select few that will really help you out according to your needs and what you want out of your education.

Posted February 9, 2008

Most of the teachers are great. Some teachers are in a High School mindset and do things to be liked by their students which is not conducive to the learning environment. The administration is extremly lax on bullying.

Posted May 28, 2007

After seeing Zaro's Review, I was compelled to write one. The school is fantastic. I'm a senior about to graduate from this school, and I can tell you now, there is no school that honestly compares to this school. Their selection of extra curricular activities, teachers and classes are superb. If there is any where I would recommend, it would be the home of the Panthers! The energy and sense of community contained within this school is phenomenal. You really feel like you are part of something. Not only that, but Snohomish is known to be a friendly community, with friendly people and friendly neighbors. With such diverse individuals, finding an enjoyable and rich experience is never to far from your reach. The support from everyone will give you a true sense of 'second family.' There are no fights, or over-the-top teenage drama queens, just smiles, laughter, and love.

Posted March 8, 2007

This is an okay school, I go there and I don't like it very much. If I had the chance to change schools, I would do it in a heart beat.The school has way too many people, class sizes are very large. There is a ton of school spirit, we probably have the most school spirit compared to any school. This school is kind of like a farming school, there are a lot of 'farmer kids,' but that is probably normal considering it's a farming town. It's not really a college-prep school.

Posted March 1, 2007

Snohomish High School is Great. Cliques exist but what school doesn't have them. SHS is on the whole very friendly to newcomers. With such a big school we have a great amount of pride and are very close. It's a good thing they're not going to try to split up the senior class in 2009, when the new school opens, they would have problems. The teachers know what they're doing, and parents help with whatever they can. We have numerous extra-curricular activities, a few were created this year. Many people are involved and committed to multiple. Too many to list here, but I encourage you to look into our school, especially if you're thinking of adding to our spirit by joining us. I'm a sophomore, and am looking forward to the rest of high school! Thank-you for letting me babble.

Posted July 4, 2005

SHS is a great school academically, but is in dire need of the upcoming remodel. I encourage anyone who has sentimental attachments to tour the campus behind the scenes and see for yourself the conditions that we expect our kids and teachers to work with. You will be sadly shocked! The old fashioned charm of the community needs to be kept and using some items from the old gym in a special way is needed. Times are changing, and now is time to prepare for the future.

Posted May 13, 2005

Snohomish high school is a widely diverse school. A school of oppertunities. Enrolling your students in Snohoish High School is a posiitve step towards the future! I am a sophomore at this school right now! i love our school and i believe that it is the right place for a child to learn!

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

333 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

230 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students66%

Not low income18%
Not special education15%

All Students18%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

425 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

446 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

357 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 14N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 67%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1316 Fifth St