Posted March 04, 2014
This school is by far the worst school you can imagine sending your children to. Not only is bullying tolerated it is also dealt to the student through the teachers by means of name calling and and aggressive demeanor. I disagree with the no child left behind program if you are only going to pass my student based on the fact that they are assigned to you. My child deserved to be taught how to over come her difficulties not have two teachers continually showcase them to the entirety of over 60 other students. I'm so relieved that my child is no longer subject to the women that this school calls "teachers" for the only thing that my child has learned is do what I say not as I do.

Spanaway Elementary School 5

Posted January 10, 2013
We are new to the district this year and I was apprehensive about enrolling my child in public school to begin with. I must say I was biast in thinking that my child would be over looked and their individual needs would not be met. I was SO WRONG! From day one every staff member at Spanaway Elementary has been professional, attentive and compassionate with my child and other children. When the staff learned that our house had burned down over the summer, many of them donated furniture and household items on their own. Staff also invited us to participate in the schools food and clothing bank. When my child bumped their head at recess, I received a prompt phone call to explain what had happened and spoke to my child during that call. The cirriculum is fair for my childs grade level. I have volunteered in the classroom many times and I want to praise the teachers for an excellent job in giving individual attention in a large classroom setting. This truly takes the cake. All of the previous reviews I have read on this site are negative. I wasn't around at that time, but I feel it's important for parents to know there are some very positive things going on at Spanaway Elementary!

Posted August 08, 2012
I agree with the previous post. This Principal has been an issue for years. Really great teachers have left because she is a bully. It appears now that the District has finally gotten the message and she is moving to another school. If the pattern continues there the School Board will have to deal with this Principal and not blame the staff. I am sorry for the students and teachers who had to put up with such a negative environment for such a long time. Let us hope the new Principal will do better for everyone.

Posted April 12, 2012
The principal at Spanaway Elementary is by far the worst principal I have ever known. She is compassionate only to students that are "trouble makers." Her idea of punishment is to allow the students to sit out of class and play with Legos.. She herself is a practitioner of "bullying", in that she throws her title and weight to terrify young children. The children tend to be bullied by other children and the bulley's seem to be able to continue with their bad behaviors as punishment does not seem to detour their behaviors. It is also known that many of the staff are terrified of her tantrums and "behind the back" behaviors. After more than 15 years behind the helm, it is time for a positive change. The school has been blessed with a new building, now it is time for a new personality. To enter the new building is still a cold and disengaging experience.

Posted February 17, 2011
Yesterday I was to pick up my grandson at Spanaway Elementary. My daughter sent her son with a note. I went to the office with my granddaughter in tow to check in and they checked my ID. We waited by the flagpole as instructed to wait for him. When I realized that no more children were coming out I asked some of the teachers there to help. They identified his teacher and asked what happened to him. She was very rude and escaped into her classroom to avoid the drama. I asked to speak to the principal or vice-principal that were both unavailable. Finally someone came to speak to me and my daughter arrived while we were having the conversation. I feel that although they listened to us the teacher will not be disciplined, as I feel that she should be since she was the one that received the note and sent it to the office, fully aware of a change from normal routine.

Posted March 21, 2010
WOW! I thought I was the only one that felt this way about the school. There are some good teachers at Spanaway, but you are all right. The Principal seems disinterested, unattached if you will. My children still attend the school, but I am hoping to transfer them next year. The playground staff does tend to tell your children they are tattling a little to much. My daughter came home with bruises on her face when I asked her what happened she said a little girl pinched her. She told me she told the playground attendent and they told her she was fine and not to tattle. We will probably use this sight to determine what school to put my children in next year. If you have a choice, look for a better school.

Posted March 20, 2010
The principal at Spanaway Elementary is really lazy. So is the office staff. They aren't interested int the strudents at all. My children went there for one year but being in the military we moved on base. I was amazed at how the other school's principal was so involved and interested in the goings on of the school and students.

Posted March 18, 2010
This is the worse school ever, the staff is only concerned about themselves and the latest gossip. If you child is getting bullied, don't expect the staff to do anything about it. Other than tell your child not to be a tattle tale. There is no way my child will be returning to this school.

Posted March 18, 2010
My daughter was being bullied by an older kid, pushing, pinching and dirt thrown in her face. he made threatening gestures toward her. The principal blew it off. Said that he was just a kid. What happened to the zero tolerance policy?!!! My daughter was told that she was tattling and that she didn't need to tell her parents. Very upset. Taking the kids out asap.

Spanaway Elementary School 3

Posted January 05, 2009
The curriculum is too fast paced. It may effect only a handful of students in each class negatively, but the handful of students are also important and they don't seem to value that. They do have good community involvement.

Spanaway Elementary School
215 166th St South, Spanaway, WA  98387
Last modified Spanaway Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spanaway Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top