Summit School

Public | K-8 | 333 students

Posted April 10, 2010

I've been out of Summit for about a year. Being a choice school, students avoid seeing a lot of teenage vices that bombard you in high school. This may or may not be a good thing. I feel like the teacher quality has decreased substantially, and some of the teachers try to interfere too much with the students. Obviously, if you want to hand over parenting to them, this is the place for you. Otherwise, they seem to care about the students and teach fairly well. My experience was mediocre. However, they do have a pretty decent debate team, which is one of the only things I enjoyed at that school.

Posted October 15, 2008

I was a student at Summit for 5 years and I will never forget it. We went on some amazing trips that were for learning yet it was not just a trip to where ever and you never look back on it. You had lots of fun and cant wait to tell your parents all about your day. Not just the 'It was fine'. One of the things I loved the fact that you bonded with the students and the teachers. When a teacher left the school you were really sad to see them go. You didnt just bond with your friends. There was no groups that believed that they were better than others. I was there from the begining and have seen it grow from having 3 grades in one class to fill the class to fill the class to having a waiting list a mile long. Summit is amazing.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 11, 2008

I love this school both my son and daughter attend and they love it and have learned alot .

Posted July 16, 2008

Great school, we appreciate the out of the box aspects. There is a dress code, which is wonderful. The explorations really take the kids into a deeper understanding of topics. The staff, we just feel so lucky as parents to have found this school. Wonderful!

Posted April 2, 2008

My boys have been at Summit School since the beginning. The educational approach is innovative and meaningful, and my boys have had much better success than a traditional public school approach. The staff is fabulous and very dedicated.

Posted January 23, 2008

Parent participation is maybe 60% if you're lucky, and that participation is mostly of the stay at home moms and dads of the lower house and kindergarten. This school has potential, but lacks in communication. The students get introduced to a variety of activities both in and out of the school, that you won't find in other schools. This has been a great hands on teaching tool for many of the students. You won't find fundraisers, family nights, or extracurricular activities which is unfortunate. Your only opportunity to meet with other families, is as you pass them in the halls, while volunteering, or if you are lucky enough to attend one of the day time expeditions. Unfortunately if you work, you're out of luck. This school does have an annual auction, that needs a lot of work. Personally, I'd rather just write a check, and do away with the auction.

Posted November 30, 2007

My daughter just started Kindergarten at Summit School, and she absolutely loves it!! She is already reading very well. The teachers are helpful and caring and the students seem very well behaved. We are very excited for her future at Summit and what the rest of the year hold for her.

Posted October 28, 2007

I attended Summit School for 4 years, form 5th to 8th grade. I must say that because of the excellent teachers and fun activities this school has potential, but doesn't seem to quite live up to it. The student dress code is unclear, cumbersome. No after school programs at all. During my time at Summit, I noticed that the teachers themselves are top-notch and are what saves the school. You can see just by walking in, that it is a tight-knit community, between teachers and students. All in all the school needs a lot of work but has the pieces to do it.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 28, 2007

My husband and I feel privileged to have our daughter at such a good school. She started the end of fourth grade and loved it after the first day. The teachers over the years have all been special to us, and tolerable while we got down the sometimes trying dress code. My daughter really enjoys the community time classes which offer music,art,writing or physical ed. The way the students interact and learn through on hand projects,field trips is helping them learn life long responsibility and working well with others. With all the trips and activities the school plans there is always awesome parents who have time to help. My daughter is going into 7th grade were all excited for this year theres always something new at Summit!

Posted July 19, 2007

Some of my teachers at my former school, University Elementary, were not so fond of this new school, this alternative school. I went anyway, and had a wonderful four years. The teachers are top-top-top-notch, and the parents are too. Whether you are starting Kindergarten with Mrs. Ellis or 8th Grade with Mr. Powell or 2 other great teachers, it's a great school. Some people bring up that we have a dress standard. So? It doesn't bother me to have to not wear logos. It's a really wonderful school, and it deserves much more recognition than it's getting. The extra-curricular activities are somewhat non-existent, but it's made up for by the sense of crew and fun environment. I loved going to Summit, I really did. Summit's an awesome school, for kids, or parents. The curriculum is great, the teachers are amazing, and everything just works. It's a wonderful school. From, Mariah Hanley :)
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 4, 2007

I am not a parent I am a student. I am in the 7th grade and my teacher is Mr. Guenther. I have been going to Summit since it opened. I really enjoy going to summit because we interact with the other students and we are in charge of our own learning. when I talk to my friends who go to other schools they are like 'how can you stand it? the dress code has got to be hard to follow.' its not. the only part I don't like is the tucking in the shirts. everything else is not so bad. I would never change it if I got the chance. it rocks here.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 6, 2006

Summit is an excellent school. We enrolled our oldest son in kindergarten last year and have been very pleased with our choice. Every student in his class could read by the end of the school year...in KINDERGARTEN, no less! I know this because I was one of the many parent volunteers who worked with every student in his class individually. He has another great teacher this year in his 1st/2nd grade class and I'm very excited that he'll be with the same teacher for 2 years in a row. Summit School truly has a community atmosphere in which students from all grades interact. The dress code is a huge plus to the learning environment. We're looking forward to our younger son enjoying the Summit School experience in a few years as well.

Posted June 8, 2006

OK school. Needs some work on communication.

Posted March 13, 2006

Summit School has been a wonderful opportunity for my child to learn how to function in a group setting. The quality of the programs offered is amazing. My 8th grader went on a week long field trip to study Washington State, every aspect of it was covered before, during and after the trip. What a great opportunity he would never have had at his old middle school. Unfortunately the availability of extracurricular activities is not there. You do have the choice of joining the nearest middle school's team or your 'home area' team for athletics, but you must transport them. Both of my kids are introduced to varities of music, types of art and all different sports. The level of parent involvement is tremendous, compared to the other schools we have attended. I would put parent participation at close to 90%. Need I say more!

Posted August 17, 2005

Summit School is an amazing choice school. The teachers are wonderful.

Posted June 12, 2005

As far as education, this is a fantastic school! My child has learned so much in the last year, and continues to surprise us more and more each day. With a very strict dress code, and unique approach to learning, I consider this school a definate leader in this area. However, communication is one thing that this school lacks in. You'll find that, if you receive notification on an activity at all, it comes with very short notice. So, if you are a working parent, which obviously is not taken into consideration when these activities are planned, you will find that you are not given enough notice to ask for the time off and you'll miss out on a lot. Hopefully, this is something they work harder on next year.

Posted May 19, 2005

My daughter came from the Montessori environment and this school was a really good transition for her. I consider it to be a balanced blend of independent study and teamwork. They are expected to set their goals high in academics, behavior and citizenship. They are learning to be thoughtful leaders.

Posted October 30, 2004

Hello, My son is in the 6th grade at Summit School. He attended the school for 4 years previous when it was Blake Elementary. I cannot say enough positive things about this school. My son loves school now. The teachers and the Principal are all top rate. The staff is exceptional in the office. In the 2003-2004 school year, my son learned some many things about real life, the world we live in and the environment. He excelled. I love having the dress code and so does my son. I think children learn better when they are not worried about if they 'fit in' with the current fad. At Summit they all fit in. I would, and have recommended Summit to all of my friends. Summit is not for everyone though, children have different learning styles. mIt works for us. Toni Piacquaddio

Posted September 4, 2004

My daughter came to Summit as a 7th grader. I have been impressed at how communicative the new principal of this innovative school is. We have had great communication with our daughter's teachers, they appear positive and creative. because the school is much smaller, the kids all seem to know each other better and the older kids get to interact much more with the younger ones, helping them to read, etc. There are many different activities that the kids can get involved in during their 'communities' time such as guitar, technology, African drumming, etc. My daughter loves school now! The atmosphere of the school is very peaceful, there are no bells at the end of classes, children seem happy and relaxed. Summit is off to a great start!

Posted August 9, 2004

Despite the dress code issue my two children have adjusted well to this school and the principal has always had an open door policy. Looking forward to bigger and better things from Summit this year.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

All Students79%

Male85%
White83%
Not special education87%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

All Students100%

Average years educational experience 7N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 84%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

13313 East Broadway Ave