Adams Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 363 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 11, 2013

My boys and I love the Adams! My oldest has special needs and I couldn't be happier with their efforts to help my son be the very best he can! :)

Posted March 8, 2012

If you have other options, I would look elsewhere. I wouldn't have chosen for my child to go to this school, after experiencing it for a year. We have had multiple negative experiences. The teachers and principle seem willing to help, but also seem very overwhelmed with the issues within the school. They very rarely take the kids to recess, and the kids end up sitting with there heads down on their desks for being to "rowdy, or noisy." 25 kids squished into a tiny classroom is a bit overwhelming for anyone, teachers and kids. They all need a break. Why are they not getting it? Take these poor kids to recess! More parent involvement would be wonderful!

Posted November 29, 2011

Adams is terrible! The students in my class end up having to correct the teachers answers when it comes to math. They teachers go way too easy and they don't prepare classmates for middle school, and when it comes to Physical Edu. We don't get ANY training for the mile run. I mean come on, seriously! We fail P.E. and they tell us it's our fault, but we aren't getting trained. I WOULD NEVER EVER recommend this school. The staff are kind, but it seems the teachers don't know their basic math, and the students end up having to prove the teacher that the teachers answer is wrong.

Posted May 11, 2011

The facilities are lacking, as are programs and opportunities for the kids. I wish we lived in a different neighborhood, because Adams would never be my top choice for my child's education, but we have few options.

Posted May 4, 2011

This school definitely has its ups and downs. My daughter started attending in the beginning of 2008. She has been dealing with bullying, and being shut out her entire time at school. We have a new principal this year, and yes this year things have been much worse. I have had multiple talks with the principal and my childs teacher about the behavior and I get answers from "I'll talk to everyone involved" to "well your kid starts it". This year has been a huge challenge, and I am grateful that my child will be moving to middle school next year. Being a single working parent, I will say that this school does not "appreciate" the "less fortunate" children, and "caters" to those that are more middle to upper class, or just difficult to deal with.

Posted April 28, 2011

I would recommend this school to parents who desire lots of extracurricular activities and programs, a solid sense of community and support, and a safe and loving place for their children to go. Adams is an old school on the outside but new and energetic on the inside. Their students support community and volunteering, the teachers are funny and outgoing, and the current principal is a funny caring person. There are several teachers who are old and should be replaced but overall the atmosphere is very positive. My daughter was being pushed around by one little girl and it was handled immediately; she has had no problems since. The ptg group is wonderful and the music program is fantastic. There are lots of clubs throughout the year and teachers spend time volunteering so that we can have recitals and performances. I would recommend this school to any parent and feel lucky to have my child going there.

Posted February 14, 2011

I would strongly encourage anyone to bring their child to this school. It has that home town, small community feeling. My child has attended Adams for the last 5 years. The PTG and teachers made us feel part of the school community right away. Adams has wonderful family events such as Fall Festival, Culture Night, Movie Night, Bingo, Walk- a -thon and the end of the year Ice Cream Social. They create a great sense of school community. I have found the teachers and staff to to be very involved and caring individuals. All and any issues have been delt with promptly and with sensitivity. All schools change principals, and staff come and go. There can always be transition times. But the overall feeling of the Adams community to care for the whole child, is still there. My daughter feels at home at Adams. Since I went there as a child myself, it feels like home to me too.

Posted January 16, 2011

I do not recommend this school at all. My son has gone there for two years. He is in 1st grade. Although this school has a wonderful music program and a fun jump-rope club, I'll admit, I am not at all pleased with the new principal there. There have been a lot of issues concerning bullying. My son has been pushed, called names, bossed around, slapped and even kicked without any repercussions, except occasionally taking the offender's lunch away. The principal and a counselor ignored these problems, because it is 'far too much for them' and 'it just happens'. Please be careful about sending your child there. I wouldn't trust this school for any kid until the system is improved, though from the apathetic responses I've received, it's not going to get better anytime soon. I am extremely disappointed and I plan to transfer my son to another school as soon as possible. He deserves better; a safe learning environment that is more attentive to issues like these.

Posted March 3, 2009

After spending two years in the wrong part of town we decided to move to this neighborhood. It has been great, my son says to me how different the kids are, how much nicer, there are no bullies, they don't call each other names. This reflects on the parents and teachers, I believe. And it is apparant that Adams is very hands on in both areas...there are also lots of extracurriculars, wonderful teachers, and overall it is just a great school.

Posted January 4, 2009

The one thing that I think really makes Adams shine is the music program. What an amazing time my two kids have had and how fun to watch. Its too bad that the gym is so small. I wish they would choose a larger place to do these fun performances so that everyone can be comfortable.

Posted January 3, 2009

My oldest daughter attending Adams for 4 yrs and she & her friends had tears in their eyes when she realized how much she was going to miss her teachers.. Adams also has a great music program with a talented teacher who put's on 'Great' performances. Adams has a strong PTA unit, with very dedicated to the childrens opportunities while attending Adams. I cant say enough about Adams; from the Principle to the Custodian.... Great School....!!!

Posted October 15, 2007

Adams is a great school. As part of my College practicuum I coached basketball for the students after school. The staff and principal were extremely supportive and the students love their school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 13, 2007

My children have attended Adams Elementary since 1995 and I feel they are in very qualified hands. Mary Weber, our Principal for the last two years, is a very caring and reasonable person. In my dealings with Mrs. Weber she has never been condescending , nor have I ever seen her be this way to others in a room. Any newcomers to our school would certainly see the higher standards Mrs. Weber has for everyone.

Posted March 11, 2007

We love Adams Elem.!!! This school should be the model, for all others. Mrs. Weber, the principal, is a kind and exceptionally caring individual to her students, staff, teachers, and to all that volunteer. I enjoy talking with all of the staff and with all of the committees that Adams has to offer to the parents. They always have events (i.e.Bingo night, Literacy night,Etc.) that involve the students and their families. We always feel included, as parents!!! That cannot be said for all schools!!!We are very proud to have our child at Adams and we are quick to recommend this school to anyone that asks!!! It must be also noted, that this Elem. takes the children's safety and security very seriously!!! From the amount of staff out at recesses, to crossing guards, to the cameras in the school!!! All of this, from a parents perspective, is very much appreciated!!!!

Posted September 8, 2006

my child attended this school for 2 years. we dealt with classroom behavioural problems that they were not able to control for several weeks, at times clearing the class when another student became violent. the principal kept telling parents please be patient. excellent teachers but when having to deal with issues such as that the time they are able to spend teaching is severly reduced. there seemed to be no 'management' back up until things were at crisis level. the principal is very condescending towards parents.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students59%

Average years educational experience 17N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 72%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2909e 37 Ave