Garfield Elementary School 1

Posted May 21, 2013
My child has gone to Garfield from K-6. Everything has been great up until this last year. Her 6th grade teacher has just been the worst. Now I am counting down the days until summer starts so my child doesn't get screamed at or treated badly anymore.

Posted December 05, 2012
My son is in his second year at Garfield, and I couldn't be happier with the school. Everyone, from the teachers to the principal to the Express staff, has really made it a point to treat my son as an individual and get to know him. He has had a few difficulties, but I've always felt that the school addressed them appropriately and with genuine care. I feel like he's getting a great education from people who truly have a desire to see all of the students succeed.

Garfield Elementary School 2

Posted October 31, 2012
I am currently volunteering at Garfield. All of the teachers I have come in contact with have been excellent and are wonderful with the kids. However walking around outside at recess, in the lunchroom, and just around the school, I have been disappointed with how some of the staff handles themselves. I find that the recess staff is constantly screaming at the kids, who are simply just kids trying to play. They'll be running in the grass or tossing around a ball, and I see all of the recess staff constantly just yelling, then turning around yelling more without any real reason. On the occasion that they are actually speaking to one child directly they are all over them without letting them speak or explain any sort of misunderstanding. I have talked to the kids and this sort of impatient treatment is greatly impacting their view of school negatively. The recess teachers are out there to create a "safe" enviroment for the children, but how is that supposed to happen when they are constantly intimidating them and, lacking a better word, being mean? That is not the type of adult that a child would feel comfortable speaking to and safe with. It's really disappointing.

Posted October 11, 2010
The teachers and principal are extremely active in the children's schooling by learning what works best for all the students to learn to the best of their abilities. And they are number one at keeping parents involved in their kids' school lives. 5 stars

Posted January 03, 2008
My grandson loves everything about Garfield. He loves his classroom teacher and friends. He enjoys every part of his busy day. He loves attending the Express Childcare program. He can't wait until his older to do some of the extracurricular programs. If you are looking for a great school in the Spokane area. Check out this absoulely awesome school. You love it here!

Posted October 23, 2007
As a teacher at Garfield for twelve years now--I have to say that I love coming into Garfield every single morning to see my wonderful students. I can honestly say that every teacher and staff member is devoted to making Garfield the best school that it can be! Do we have problems? You bet! But, we strive to find the best solution for everyone and to treat every child, parent and families with the respect they deserve. It's our job and we're proud to do it!

Posted September 26, 2007
Garfield and the APPLE program are amazing... I have 3 children all with different needs, from reading recovery for one child having a hard time, to challenging another with high level math, and all of the support that goes along with belonging to this community. Garfield is AWESOME!

Posted June 16, 2005

Posted November 29, 2003

Posted October 29, 2003
I have had the priviledge of volunteering in this school while my daughters attend. Their teachers have always been amazing people with student success priority #1. Never have I met a more caring staff and administration. Thank you Garfield!

Garfield Elementary School
222 West Knox Ave, Spokane, WA  99205
Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garfield Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.