Spokane, WA
Students enrolled: 1,618

Posted June 10, 2015
My daughter is a very sensitive person. She loves adults and children, but finds other teens to be mostly mysterious creatures. She was homeschooled in 6th grade, skipped 7th and spent her only year of middle school at Odyssey (small, gifted program). She didn't benefit from the normal time and progression from elementary, middle, then on to high school. As a result, she and I were both quite nervous about how she would do at Ferris. To our surprise and delight, she loves Ferris High School! She still struggles socially, but all her teachers seem to make up for it! She really gets the sense that they are invested, really care about her and respect her. This is important to her and likely important to most teens. The staff at Ferris does a great job of managing this. Her quality of education has also been really good. She's really being challenged and supported! Her amazing precalc teacher is almost always staying late to finish up work and makes herself very available to her students. The music program is fantastic, as well as all the things happening in the science dept. There's all sorts of sports available, but because my daughter is more of a mathlete, we've yet to explore any of that. As I was looking through the yearbook, I realized there's really something for everyone, to honor many different strengths!

Ferris High School 1

Posted April 26, 2015
Insufficient dress code, drug restrictions. Most recently they observed Two days of silence at school in favor of homosexuality, this occurring just after the state leader imposed a complete embargo on travel to Indiana because of the religious freedom act. I did not know that public schools had the right to force students to participate in social movements. Spokane schools in general do not sufficiently prepare students for exams or college. Drugs, sex, immorality-the motto of Spokane.

Posted February 05, 2015
Teachers are fully engaged. Staff is wonderful. My son is getting a first-rate education, and college prep. I will say that the school does a bad job of keeping parents notified of events, but that is my only complaint.

Posted July 10, 2012
This school is the best you could hope to have. My parents hate it, but i think this school has amazing students, understanding teachers and there programs are phenomenal, if you want a high school just right for your kids, this is the perfect place

Ferris High School 3

Posted April 23, 2012
Ferris features a plethora of extracurricular activities, and nearly everyone is doing at least one or two (or three, or four, or ten). The Wind Ensemble is one of the best in the state, as is the football team. The latter has won several state championships as well as academic state championships. The basketball team is also pretty good. The Canterbury Belles (an all-female, audition-only choir) are good on a national level. Unfortunately, rules are seldom if ever enforced, so the school is marred by extreme amounts of profanity, inappropriate attire, vandalism, smoking, and general lack of tact. This alone is what causes the school to be 3/5 rather than 5/5. Lots of AP programs are offered as well.

Posted March 08, 2010
Ferris is a wonderful school. Despite some reviews stating the teachers are difficult to communicate with, I find the opposite; Every request or concern I have stressed has been handled with the greatest concern for my child. I have not had much luck with the counselor as she doesn't seemed the least bit interested. So I prefer to go through the teachers. Music program is awesome!!

Posted December 18, 2009
Excellent school, great classes, fun students, great sports, amazing music program. My child loves it here.

Ferris High School 2

Posted August 25, 2009
The school is generally fine as far as public school education, but the teachers are difficult to communicate with, the counselors are too busy to really pay much attention to individual students, and the administrative staff consistently treats parents as if they are an inconvenience--the opposite of friendly customer service. There are some shining exceptions, but generally speaking we would give the school a low rating from a parent perspective. As alumns and the parents of three kids that have gone to Ferris, have a good deal of experience with the school. Our kids have been good students, many honors classes, involved in varsity sports, etc., but we are glad to be moving on.

Posted February 08, 2008
Everyone has commented on the music programs, which as have been stated, are amazing! The Wind Ensemble and Advanced Percussion groups put on great shows and recieves awards every year. But we also have a great ASB, and sports programs. Our Boys Football and Basketball teams are always at the top of the highly competitive GSL.

Posted May 23, 2007
As a former student now attending a public University in Washington, I can say that Ferris prepared me very well for the rigor of college academics. The honors and AP programs at Ferris were just as rigorous as my honors classes in college, and the high expectations of my former teachers are equal to the expectations of my professors now. Also, Ferris has an excellent music program that I was a part of for all four years. The program includes students of many skill levels and stresses having fun and learning to improve music skills rather than being competitive.

Ferris High School
3020 East 37th Ave, Spokane, WA  99223
Last modified Ferris High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ferris High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top