Spokane, WA

Posted May 21, 2015
My daughter has been bullied relentlessly at this school. The staff even bullies my daughter and has tried to bully me. They care nothing about their students or what they do to one another. My daughter has been seriously assaulted twice and the school has done little to nothing about it even going so far as to make excuses for the boy who was the first to assault my daughter stating that he had a rough home life and that is why he assaulted my daughter. There were no consequences for this boy. The second major assault took place in the lunch room with several witnesses which I believe is the only reason there were any consequences at all. My daughter was slapped so hard that her head hit the wall behind her and bounced off. Mr. Selk kept her in his office for an hour before calling me then despite having my home and cell number he only called my home number which I was gone so I didn't get the message for another hour. By the time I got to the school the only mark left was a slightly pinker than normal cheek. Mr. Selk refused to speak to me and sent her out with the 7th grade counselor who implied that my daughter had done something to bring it upon herself despite there being several witnesses to the fact that my daughter said and did nothing to merit such an attack. The girl was given 1 day suspension and that was it. The principle and both vice principles are always to busy to speak with parents when there are real concerns unless they are accusing your child of doing something wrong. My daughter was also constantly in trouble for standing up for herself saying she was disruptive to class never mind the kids in the class calling her names or tripping her in the isles and the teacher ignoring it. She got in trouble for getting fed up and walking out of class. She was accused of calling a teacher the B word which my daughter doesn't cuss, she'll correct you if you cuss around her and still calls it the B word rather than ever saying it. She won't even say the cuss words in a song instead going silent for that part. Every day she is slapped, kicked, tripped, poked, cussed at, and called names often times in front of teachers who choose to look the other way until she does something they deem wrong then she gets detention or Saturday school. This school teaches students to be little monsters who care for nobody. Horrible horrible school please avoid it!

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted May 21, 2015
The teachers have no respect for their students and without respect they can't be effective.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted May 21, 2015
My daughter almost never brings home homework. She had homework for a while but there is no consistency.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
This school doesn't encourage the students to do anything productive or caring in any way.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
They encourage bullying by not doing anything about it. This tells the kids they don't have to care about one another or if they hurt other students. Even the staff bully students.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 21, 2015
This school doesn't develop anything but a bunch of monsters by encouraging them to bully one another. They pick and choose who they are going to pick on and the kids see this so they follow suit.

Posted January 25, 2013
My son attented both 7 and 8th grade here. I would not recommend anyone sending their child to school here. There is never homework, no challenge for the students whatsoever, and a majority ot the students who are there don't want to be and make it very hard for the few who actually want to give their very best. At the beginning of the school year the principle stated that they do not give homework because the majority of the students wont do it so they just give extra time in class. My son has come home on more than one occasion having been completed w/ his assignment to have them sit and do nothing for a week while they wait for the other students to turn it in. However I do have to say that the music teacher truly does care about the students and they have an amazing music program even offering Jazz band. I would hightly recommend thinking twice about enrolling your child in this school unless you are ok with them just getting by.

Posted September 13, 2012
I strongly advise anyone who considers enrolling their student at Shaw to refrain from doing so . I myself have a fourteen year old daughter who has been continuously bullied by the staff , harassed by the trashy students , singled out , and punished for ridiculous things. Although there is a small bunch of students who strive for success , the majority of them do not want to be there and do not give any effort whatsoever. I can say these things because I have devoted many hours to volunteer at Shaw to monitor activities which I've heard about. I can vouch for just last year on the last day of school , three girls were caught in the bathroom smoking!!!! And yes , I do acknowledge that every school has it's issues ,but Shaw has far too many to even be a possibility for my daughter to stay enrolled. At this time , no special requests are being considered. Therefore , as of this past summer , my husband and I have put our house on the market , in hope to move to a different school district.

Posted October 16, 2007
The curriculum at this school is great and the teachers are very understanding of my child's needs!

4106 North Cook St, Spokane, WA  99207
Last modified Shaw Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shaw Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top