Spokane, WA

Posted April 18, 2014
The Libby Center's staff is a dedicated group of educator's who work diligently to keep some of Spokane's highly capable children continually challenged in their education pursuits. It offer's parents an alternative to their child not being left behind in developing to their true potential. Although the children must return to their "home" school for most extra curricular activities, The Libby Center does an incredible job with the education portion.

Posted May 26, 2011
This is the BEST program hands down! In a regular clasroom my daughter was chastized for reading a book that was too thick. (3rd Grade) Another year the teacher told her she couldn't possibly be bored, not in her class. (5th Grade) When your child is gifted there are so many necessary levels to their education that are crucial to their happiness and productivity as a child and as a future citizen of our society. THANK YOU LIBBY for all your do and the enourmous pride you have in teaching, inspiring, and encouraging our gifted children.

Posted September 11, 2010
I began the Odyssey program at Libby Middle in 7th grade, just about 9 years ago. As a senior in college, I can honestly say that Odyssey was perhaps the most vital factor in my academic success to date. The program reinforced my intellectual curiosity, while it may have languished in other middle schools. From learning fractions in 6th grade, I maxed out of my high school's mathematics as a sophomore. I stood out in high school and I stand out in college on the basis of this outstanding program... despite my "B" in Orchestra!

Posted April 10, 2010
Wow!!! This is an amzing school! The teachers are top notch, everyone gets along like a family, and the advanced academics prepare us for the future. I am in my fourth and final year at Odyssey. I cannot thank my teachers enough for what they have given me. Every year, we do special things at Odyssey like trips to the University of Idaho, Camp Shoshone, and new this year, Chewelah Peak. The last day of school this year will be hard as I will walk out the doors of the school for the last time. I want to personally thank each of my teachers for what they have done to make this school unlike any other in the nation. It was a once in a lifetime opprotunity to go to this school and I will cherish all of the memories that it has given me forever.

Posted September 20, 2009
Libby Center is seriously one of the best schools out there. Last year I just finished my forth year in the main program, Odyssey (Grades 5-8), and it was a life-changing experience that I don't think I could ever have again. As the only middle school in the area without actual class periods (you have all the subjects, just not in a 'period' schedule), you stay with the same general class of kids for a couple years in everything and get to build a huge family feeling with everyone there. All of the teachers, whether you realise at the time you have them or not, are amazing at their jobs. They understand the gifted kids who go there, and know exactly how to treat them - willing to even give up their personal time to help them learn and understand. I could go on and on about what a great place Odyssey is, the amazing teachers, or the traditions and spirit everyone has there, but words wouldn't be enough. I am truly happy that I was privileged enough to be part of this wonderful program. Thank you Libby. Thank you Odyssey. Thank you to all of the teachers, students, and parents who have made this place an important part of so many people's lives for over 12 years.

Posted September 20, 2009
Even though I've been out of this school 4 years, I'm still best friends with so many kids that went there. It creates lasting bonds between all of us. It's truly a great place to be. It's not only the kids that are amazing. The teachers not only help you learn a lot, they make it interesting and fun. You actually enjoy learning. If you ever have a problem, you can talk to them and they'll help you, no matter what it's about. Once we go out into 'normal' high schools, we're so far ahead of the normal freshmen, mentally and emotionally. Kids are generally placed in sophomore, if not junior math once they leave Libby. In short, we learn so much. Even the parents of these kids are an amazing, supportive, loving network. Even now, they're supportive. It's ridiculous how much this school rocks.

Posted September 20, 2009
With every fiber of my being, I miss attending Tessera at the Libby center. Once a week, I was swept away from normal elementary school to a wonderful safe haven that was Libby center. In Tessera I was always inspired to go above and beyond expectations. I learned to reach out and make friends, to make my opinions known, and to find ways to make learning enjoyable. My teachers were kind and admirable. Without their support I would not be here today. Libby Center has created me, and I am proud of who I am. I seek more than an answer, I seek humanity, justice, and perspective . Thank you Mrs. Mai, and Mrs. Khols, and all the other teachers and staff who helped support me for those 4 years.

Posted September 20, 2009
The Libby Center is a wonderful middle school that serves kiddos with one of two special needs. They either have learning disorders or they are gifted learners. The school works extremely hard to make sure that every child gets their needs met! They are working with a population from ages 10 - 14. It is a very hormonal age and with the expectations of parents on top of that they do a phenomenal job!

Posted September 20, 2009
Libby Center is a school that celebrates individuals. Students learn the required curriculum in a compacted format. Then they are also encouraged to choose topics that interest them. This is their time to go deeper into a personal interest. Libby teachers are highly qualified and well educated. We understand gifted students and help them learn to better understand themselves. I am grateful to work in this unique environment with these truly wonderful students. I am happy and proud to say I am in touch with students from my first year as a teacher at Libby Center. We create a family environment that fosters life-long relationships as well as an academic environment that prepares students for high school and beyond.

Posted September 20, 2009
Odyssey at the Libby Center teaches kids to really think. They truly show you how to be yourself, and how to be appreciated for that. Even though I no longer attend Libby, I still feel a sense of community every time I visit. I met my best friends and heroes at this school. I learned so much, not only about math and English and other subjects, but about myself. Libby deserves any funding it can get, because I'd love to see many more kids get the same amazing opportunity I did.

Libby Center
2900 East 1st Ave, Spokane, WA  99202
Last modified Libby Center is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Libby Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top