Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The school itself is amazing. The teachers are wonderful however the principal is HORRIBLE. I've never had a problem before and my son is in the 3rd grade. This new principal doesn't do ANYTHING when a child is being assauled at school. Needless to say after 2 months of going back and forth with her .... I pulled my son and put him at skyline. Olga Manos is a complete joke

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

My child was assaulted at the school. The PRINCIPAL told my son HE needed to play nice or HIS recess was getting takeing away. I was NEVER called, the principal refuses to talk to me. Nothing was ever done. My child isn't safe at school k

Great school, it has a very warm and inviting feel to it. The teachers and staff are wonderful, friendly, helpful, and kind to my daughter. My daughter attended starting in Head Start, and is doing great academically.

The teachers and staff really respect the kids and my son had a great for kindergarten. He is above his grade level in both math and reading thanks to the teachers.

My son has attended Downing since Head Start and is currently in 3rd grade. The K-1 program is a great opportunity for students to build friendships and not be timid to ask for help. The foreign language program offers 3 different languages which is a great jump start for students. The PTA has a great presence and the Boys & Girls Club is right next door and offers before and after school programs. Downing also has several Highly Capable programs for children that excel. I would recommend this school to all parents new to the community or looking for a great school with exceptional opportunity for their child.

This is our son's fifth year at Downing and we are pleased with his education, the supportive and caring teachers/principal and the additional learning oportunities that have been offered to him. We have been here during the transition of principals and have to say that the current principal is fabulous! She is very supportive to her staff, children and families in this community. She is open to new ideas and strives to make Downing a top school in Tacoma School District. I am pleased that Downing is as diverse community. Downing is w/in walking distance to the Boys and Girls club, has an active PTA, offers Champions before/after school care and even extracurricular foreign language classes. I can not think of a better school and would be proud to welcome new families to Downing!

I love the friendly staff, the strive for academic excellence is admirable. My daughter and son have gained so much in the 4 months they have been here.

Last modified Downing is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.