Tacoma, WA

Fern Hill 4

Posted December 10, 2014
My son has attended here since the first grade and my daughter since kindergarten. They have been amazing with my son's attention deficit and through their fostering in addition to my parenting, he is now in advanced placement in 5th grade. My daughter had a severe reading issue and through the schools free after school program, she jumped 2 grade levels in reading in less than a year. I admit, not all of the teachers are top notch, but over all I cannot complain. Their is a new principal this year and my kids adore her. She uses positive reinforcement to push good behavior. They have had lunch with her and my son was given the responsibility of being a student assistant/ coach for certain activities during P.E. and recess. My kids have not had any out of the ordinary issues with bullying, but I have heard many stories of kids who can't seem to control themselves and have no respect for others. However I feel the school cannot be held responsible for that...that is just bad parenting.

Posted November 07, 2012
I can't stand this school, my children have been bullied, there has been a scavies outbreak, and the other children here are out of control saying completely inappropriate things all of the time. I would not recommend this school. I think that some better parenting needs to take place with the children who attend here. The academics is about average for a public school I would say. If you are thinking of going here I would advise you to have a close open line of communication with your children every day. You never know what any given day might have held...

Fern Hill 5

Posted July 16, 2010
My son has been coming to this school since kindergarten and I am starting my other son in the fall. The principal here has changed this school around! She is a wonderful person, whom the students and parents respect and like to be around. The teachers love their students and take extra steps to help them succeed. The activities for the families are so much fun, we have been to nearly all of them!! We love our Fern Hill family!!! R.N.

Fern Hill 4

Posted February 13, 2007
I believe this school tends to all students needs. Some of the teachers tend to the parents needs such as Teacher Missy, she has taken extra steps in helping me. She is kind, has a warm smile and is available after school to talk to parents. I enjoy my after school visits. Sincerely, John

Posted March 30, 2006
- a former student

Fern Hill 5

Posted October 09, 2003
Fern Hill is a wonderfully diverse school population. The teachers are warm and compassionate and the principal takes such an active role in the students' lives and academics. I have personally experienced the principal taking steps towards positively rewarding behavior that needed adjustment (in a child that I took care of). He actually played ball with him as a reward, since that was something this child looked forward to. I have also seen the teachers taking the extra steps to improve reading and math, and doing so in there own time. The one area of improvement that I can see, is in parental involvement. Namely, that there is a general lack of it. Let's beef up the PTA and get involved. It makes a huge difference in the children s' overall school experience.

Fern Hill 3

Posted September 09, 2003
I feel that this school just tends to process the kids through. Not much attention or help is available to struggling students. Not much emphasis on parent/school cooperation in student interactions. I think this school has a long way to go before it reaches my expectations.

Posted July 28, 2003
I feel that the principal and the teachers don't do a good job at all of addressing issues with the students or notify the parents when the child is having problems within the classroom especially when it invovles academics. I also feel that the school doesn't make much effort to give children extra help when neede or make sure the children follow high standards.

Fern Hill
8442 South Park Ave, Tacoma, WA  98444
Last modified Fern Hill is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fern Hill Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top