Foss

Public | 9-12

Posted September 17, 2013

A very nice caring wonderful school where every teacher cares about your well being and the counslers know your name and the principle is always there and so is the vice.

Posted August 8, 2013

Our school was named after Henry O. Foss. He was an elected official, businessman and civic leader. Our school was built in 1973 and in 1982, Foss became the first school in Washington State to introduce the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. This program is one of great standards as well as one that gives all students who have enough work ethic and discipline to grow immensely in critical thinking and college like attributes. In 2001, the school was elected by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as an Achiever High School in Washington State. The school its self is a phenomenal education destination. Students are diverse and come from everywhere around the world. Our ASB is a very unique set of people who are the teachers and students cheerleaders throughout the year. Using their skills to really get people to keep their heads up, keep smiling and always continue to improve. Our school is exclusive and uncommon to others around our state and nationwide. Please make us one of your choices. Our daily saying is on the intercom in the morning is " I'm a Henry Foss Falcon full spirit of pride and I love to hold it down for Henry Foss High. Have a great day Falcons!"

Posted October 16, 2010

Foss has great teachers who work really hard to make a positive learning experience for the students.

Posted March 22, 2008

I came to Foss from Curtis high school, and I have to say, I was quite impressed. I had a wonder time there, and the teachers are amazing. A lot of diversity, which helped me a lot, and fairness in grades as well.

Posted March 7, 2006

Foss is a large, diverse urban school with students from all backgrounds, economic status, ethnicity, country of birth, and academic ability. Teachers are committed and caring. When our son was struggling, every one of his teachers and his counselor came to a 7 a.m. conference with us to talk about how to best help him. We have two students there with totally different learning styles and for the most part, both have received excellent instruction. The school is going through a lot of changes and staff morale is low, but I don't think that has affected the teaching. Communication from the administration can only be described as inadequate. In an effort to bring up WASL scores, the administration is quietly weakening the prestigious International Baccalaureate program, which draws ambitious students from all over. This is disheartening and could result in bright students choosing to go elsewhere. Overall, many plusses and minusses!

Posted January 4, 2006

A very nice school, with great acedemics, but the students aren't the greatest, and there are many students in gangs.Parents are not very involved, but this school has many elective class choices.

Posted October 17, 2004

I think Foss is the best school in the surrounding area hands down (including all the private schools). Although the school has had some problems with student-administration relationships, I have throughly enjoyed my time here. I agree that the gates grant has overall lowered attention on certain aspects of the school, however, now that it is instated, the school should support the program to it's fullest (as long as it does not interfere with the IB program).... 1 thing the school could do is focus more on the IB program, because from what I see, Foss has excellent college placement among IB students (Within the last couple years students from Foss have gained admission to; Havard, Yale, MIT, Berkeley, Cornell, Georgetown, Stanford, etc.).... The school could reward these high achiving students more than they already do. But those are just my general comments. Overall, it is still the best school.

Posted February 18, 2004

I would like to say that the quality of Foss has greatly gone down. My son graduated in 2001 and he loved it. The people were great and Mr. Lange was the greatest. My daughter is a junior and she despises Foss. The principal is never there, her counselor doesn't even know her name and she has been there for 2 years. She has one teacher that actually cares what happens to the students.

Posted February 14, 2004

I think one of the best decisions I have ever made was to enroll my daughter in Foss. The Academic Standards set by the staff are wonderful. We also have completely enjoyed the Girls Basketball Program. The coaches are some of the best I have ever seen. They set the stakes and expectations high. Thank you Foss for the wonderful experience.

Posted January 22, 2004

Foss High School has good students and bad faculty. The principal and the staff needs to concentrate on the students and curriculum more than the construction of the building and meeting with each other. Quit talking and let's see some action being made.

Posted January 17, 2004

My daughter loves Foss and its diversity. The staff is very caring, but firm with the discipline when needed. She loves the cross country and track program. She is in the IB program and it is very challenging, but she receives the support she needs from the staff. She participates in the chamber orchestra and it is an excellent program. I have my son at Bellarmine Prep around the corner and I can say overall she is receiving the more challenging program and has more compentent teachers. The temptation of drugs seems to be not as high at Foss as it is in some of the surrounding schools.The principal treats everyone like a long lost cousin and the counselors have been wonderful. My daughter has received great information about college testing and admissions and has heard more than her brother at the expensive private school. Whenever I have contacted the staff they have been very helpful and they treat parents very well. I am very very pleased with Foss.

Posted August 25, 2003

The 'new schools' concept has greatly interfered with the academics of the present population of junior & seniors. Too much time spent on that has affected the teachers' time they should be spending on the current student body.

Posted June 22, 2003

My child is a senior there this yr(c/o 04) and she has loved it there. I think Foss is the best Tacoma school.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students11%

Male30%
Low income10%
Not special education12%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

205 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

197 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

182 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 17N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 60%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2112 South Tyler St