Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

A few are OK but most have 10 year disease and they are a lazy group of people. It's an autism supported school with teachers who know nothing about it or how to integrate these kids effectively into a classroom.

Amount of homework: Disagree

We had 13 pages of homework in a 4 day school week (no homework on Fridays) for a mentally handicapped 2nd grader the first few weeks. That's a little ridiculous. I had to say something.

I'm giving them a 2 because I don't doubt there are some nice people that work in this school but I like competence around my kids and it just isn't there. There is no common sense, not much of a plan when something happens and they run from any sort of confrontation or questioning. Don't be fooled by "The Nest" program for autism either. I'm not sure how on earth they were ever given the budget for it.

Grant is a wonderful school for our intelligent, sensitive, artistic 1st grader. The environment is very caring and made up of teachers and administrators that take pride in their students/school and are engaged in what they are doing. Grant provides the same curriculum as all Tacoma grade schools but with an additional layer of arts curriculum. There is a permanent music teacher, dance teacher and art teacher in addition to their classroom teacher and KE instructor. Principal Holmes is an intelligent, forward thinking leader of an experienced, enthusiastic group of educators. The parents/PTA are also some of the warmest, most caring people I have met. Apologies for gushing, but this is as good a public grade school as you could hope for.

Our experience at Grant was very disappointing, so much so that we withdrew our child from the school and placed her in a different school. We were unhappy with the quality of the instruction, the lack of communication with parents and the overall level of chaos in the classroom. I applaud the school's commitment to the arts. However, for us, this was not enough to turn a very negative general educational experience into a positive one.

My sons bully has been getting away with his behavior since it was brought to the teacher and the principles attention two months ago. They lost his Lifetouch pictures and have been very disrespectful and unprofessional with handling it. No notice at all for award assemblies and concerts. The counselor had no idea who my son was or remember the situation when I asked her if she had followed up with him two months after I was in her office crying about an extreme situation that my son was dealing with. None of these issues were resolved or addressed even remotely professionally. I hope this review helps any of those that are looking to put their child in a school where they are loved and looked out for. This is certainly not the place for that.

I have four kids who go to this school. We love the parent involvement and the arts focused learning. My kids go to school and rarely come home having had a bad day. Jennifer Cooper is a great principal and knows each of my kids and has handled any problems that come up with great leadership and respect. My only negative is that there are some teachers still on staff who really should retire as it is clear they don't have the patience and endurance to keep up with the kids anymore. The younger teachers are just fabulous and have had great experiences with them as a parent. My kids have really enjoyed learning from the younger teachers.

We didn't have a good experience at Grant and ended up changing schools half way through first grade. There was a lot of bulling and the teaching staff was ok. Our son's Kindergarten teacher left in the middle of the year with no reason expressed and his first grade teacher was a formula teacher. Our first report card was identical to every other students and I didn't like how much homework was given daily. It created issues afterschool when my child just wanted to play. I do like Jen Cooper and hope she makes changes.

Great families, involved teachers. This is more than a school -- it's a real learning community.

As a former Grizzly, I will soon be sending my daughter to Grant. I am encourage by all the wonderful reviews. I also remember Grant being a great, wonderful place to learn. I am so happy to see that Grant is still greatly involved in the Arts. I will never forget my first orchestra class with Mr. Johnson so many years ago. :)

Last modified Grant is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.