Tacoma, WA

Grant 4

Posted August 12, 2012
I have four kids who go to this school. We love the parent involvement and the arts focused learning. My kids go to school and rarely come home having had a bad day. Jennifer Cooper is a great principal and knows each of my kids and has handled any problems that come up with great leadership and respect. My only negative is that there are some teachers still on staff who really should retire as it is clear they don't have the patience and endurance to keep up with the kids anymore. The younger teachers are just fabulous and have had great experiences with them as a parent. My kids have really enjoyed learning from the younger teachers.

Grant 2

Posted July 20, 2012
We didn't have a good experience at Grant and ended up changing schools half way through first grade. There was a lot of bulling and the teaching staff was ok. Our son's Kindergarten teacher left in the middle of the year with no reason expressed and his first grade teacher was a formula teacher. Our first report card was identical to every other students and I didn't like how much homework was given daily. It created issues afterschool when my child just wanted to play. I do like Jen Cooper and hope she makes changes.

Posted September 18, 2010
Great families, involved teachers. This is more than a school -- it's a real learning community.

Posted June 01, 2010
As a former Grizzly, I will soon be sending my daughter to Grant. I am encourage by all the wonderful reviews. I also remember Grant being a great, wonderful place to learn. I am so happy to see that Grant is still greatly involved in the Arts. I will never forget my first orchestra class with Mr. Johnson so many years ago. :)

Posted April 20, 2010
This school changed my childrens lives before i moved them to Grant they hated school and they are learning so much and are excited to go to school everyday.the staff truly care about each child individually.

Posted April 09, 2009
This is the best elementary school in Tacoma. Great teachers and a fresh approach keep it interesting for the kids while supplying a solid foundation in the basics. Adding in the arts focus makes it one of the most desirable schools in Tacoma.

Posted February 19, 2009
I myself went to Grant along with my 6 brother and sisters. I have nothing but great memories from that school. I now am a mother of 2 boys who first tried another school and were not happy. I transfered them to Grant and have been overjoyed to raise them in the school I was raised in. The staff are very friendly and patient. The neighborhood is safe, and there is a overwhelming sense of family when you are there. Everyone looks out for everyone. Grant offers over 40 art classes and after school clubs including an in school daycare for us working moms. How convienent can you get! I encourage any child to attend this wonderful school. GO GRIZZLIES!!!

Posted February 12, 2009
I am constantly amazed at the way arts are infused into the curriculum at Grant-- you would never think of a dance studio as a place to learn about clouds or the state of matter (as well as a great way to refresh the kids minds and bodies). Going into the school my biggest fear was that math and science would be pushed aside that is NOT the case. While other elementary schools don t offer ballet, tap dance, violin, ceramics, drama or visual arts, Grant does!

Posted February 12, 2009
Grant Center for the Expressive Arts is an excellent school. Not only is there a strong focus on reading and math, you'd be hard-pressed to find a school that focuses on the arts. They have a wonderful curriculum that embeds many forms of art such as visual, theater, dance, music and so much more. The teachers are involved and wonderful and the parent participation/involvement is very high. This school went from near closing a few years back to rapidly growing and waiting lists. The principal is a fair and honest leader and inspires the children to do great things. The school offers a variety of before and after school enrichment classes that are teacher and volunteer taught ranging in subjects such as hip hop, creative movement, science, art, tap dance, ballet and more! This school offers a very well-rounded education and a great mix of cultural and socio-economic diversity.

Grant 1

Posted September 29, 2008

Grant
1018 North Prospect St, Tacoma, WA  98406
Last modified Grant is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grant Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top