Tacoma, WA

Posted February 28, 2015
Grant is a wonderful school for our intelligent, sensitive, artistic 1st grader. The environment is very caring and made up of teachers and administrators that take pride in their students/school and are engaged in what they are doing. Grant provides the same curriculum as all Tacoma grade schools but with an additional layer of arts curriculum. There is a permanent music teacher, dance teacher and art teacher in addition to their classroom teacher and KE instructor. Principal Holmes is an intelligent, forward thinking leader of an experienced, enthusiastic group of educators. The parents/PTA are also some of the warmest, most caring people I have met. Apologies for gushing, but this is as good a public grade school as you could hope for.

Grant 1

Posted February 07, 2015
Our experience at Grant was very disappointing, so much so that we withdrew our child from the school and placed her in a different school. We were unhappy with the quality of the instruction, the lack of communication with parents and the overall level of chaos in the classroom. I applaud the school's commitment to the arts. However, for us, this was not enough to turn a very negative general educational experience into a positive one.

Grant 1

Posted January 13, 2015
My sons bully has been getting away with his behavior since it was brought to the teacher and the principles attention two months ago. They lost his Lifetouch pictures and have been very disrespectful and unprofessional with handling it. No notice at all for award assemblies and concerts. The counselor had no idea who my son was or remember the situation when I asked her if she had followed up with him two months after I was in her office crying about an extreme situation that my son was dealing with. None of these issues were resolved or addressed even remotely professionally. I hope this review helps any of those that are looking to put their child in a school where they are loved and looked out for. This is certainly not the place for that.

Grant 4

Posted August 12, 2012
I have four kids who go to this school. We love the parent involvement and the arts focused learning. My kids go to school and rarely come home having had a bad day. Jennifer Cooper is a great principal and knows each of my kids and has handled any problems that come up with great leadership and respect. My only negative is that there are some teachers still on staff who really should retire as it is clear they don't have the patience and endurance to keep up with the kids anymore. The younger teachers are just fabulous and have had great experiences with them as a parent. My kids have really enjoyed learning from the younger teachers.

Grant 2

Posted July 20, 2012
We didn't have a good experience at Grant and ended up changing schools half way through first grade. There was a lot of bulling and the teaching staff was ok. Our son's Kindergarten teacher left in the middle of the year with no reason expressed and his first grade teacher was a formula teacher. Our first report card was identical to every other students and I didn't like how much homework was given daily. It created issues afterschool when my child just wanted to play. I do like Jen Cooper and hope she makes changes.

Posted September 18, 2010
Great families, involved teachers. This is more than a school -- it's a real learning community.

Posted June 01, 2010
As a former Grizzly, I will soon be sending my daughter to Grant. I am encourage by all the wonderful reviews. I also remember Grant being a great, wonderful place to learn. I am so happy to see that Grant is still greatly involved in the Arts. I will never forget my first orchestra class with Mr. Johnson so many years ago. :)

Posted April 20, 2010
This school changed my childrens lives before i moved them to Grant they hated school and they are learning so much and are excited to go to school everyday.the staff truly care about each child individually.

Posted April 09, 2009
This is the best elementary school in Tacoma. Great teachers and a fresh approach keep it interesting for the kids while supplying a solid foundation in the basics. Adding in the arts focus makes it one of the most desirable schools in Tacoma.

Posted February 19, 2009
I myself went to Grant along with my 6 brother and sisters. I have nothing but great memories from that school. I now am a mother of 2 boys who first tried another school and were not happy. I transfered them to Grant and have been overjoyed to raise them in the school I was raised in. The staff are very friendly and patient. The neighborhood is safe, and there is a overwhelming sense of family when you are there. Everyone looks out for everyone. Grant offers over 40 art classes and after school clubs including an in school daycare for us working moms. How convienent can you get! I encourage any child to attend this wonderful school. GO GRIZZLIES!!!

1018 North Prospect St, Tacoma, WA  98406
Last modified Grant is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grant Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top