Tacoma, WA

Posted September 19, 2014
Very happy to have my child in this school. I enrolled my child in the middle of last yr and couldn't be happier with the staffs welcoming of my son. My son has thrived already at this school and I'm excited to see what this yr brings. The principle really is incredible and my desire to write the review has a lot to do with him and how well the school runs as a result. I'm not sure if he has been recognized yet.. but he should!

Posted June 03, 2013
Jefferson is amazing! My kids have been there for two years and I could not be more thrilled. My children love their teachers and friends. The PTA is incredibly involved, as well as, the parents and teachers. The priniciple greets the children at the door and walks the halls to ensure children are safe and on task. I feel that my children are loved and safe there! So pleased! We left Jefferson for a short time and we could not get back there fast enough!!

Posted April 24, 2013
Jefferson teachers, principal and PTA are all super! We are very happy here for our second year, and looking forward to enrolling a K student for next year. My daughter's teacher is excellent, we feel so lucky to have her. The principal is involved with the children and the parents, even in the halls making sure the children have their coats at recess and greets them at the door in the morning. I can't say enough good things! Our building is fairly new, which is nice, no concerns about relocating for school updates and other annoyances. I'm trying to think of a negative so I seem well rounded....I wish there was before and after school care available on site, there is not.

Posted April 21, 2013
I have all three of my kids at this school. Kinder, Third, and Fifth. All of the teachers have been wonderful. My oldest passed all her MSP's last year due to our one of our two fabulous 4th Grade Teachers. Our school has really grown over the last few years and I'm proud to be a Bruin. All of their family events are free or close to it,and have an outstanding attendance. My kids have had some outstanding all school assemblies, such as the African Drummers, Chinese Acrobats, Pacific Science Center and more! I'll miss this school, staff, and families, when all my kids have moved on to Middle School.

Posted April 14, 2013
I love this school and it's staff. My children have been attending this school for 5 years now. They have great community involvement and a awesome PTA. They are always planning fun activities for the kids and great assemblies.

Posted April 06, 2013
If you are in the neighborhood, come to your school!! Jefferson has a passionate new principal, a growing PTA, a beautiful facility and involved families. I hesitated when signing my first child up for K four years ago, but finally decided that we would invest in our walking distance neighborhood school instead of driving elsewhere. I have never regretted this! Mr. Byrd is always in the halls of school greeting the children, they all adore him. One thing I notice that is different about Jefferson than some other North end schools is that we have a lot of field trips, many walking since we are so close to everything. Jefferson pushes the AR reading program and the PTA sponsored a walking field trip to the Blue Mouse for ALL the children who met their reading goal (The Lorax). The previous year it was a roller skating party. The PTA is very active and growing. They have sponsored some amazing assemblies like African dancers and Chinese acrobats. Other PTA activities this year include: petting zoo traveling farm, bingo night, fall carnival, winter craft event for all students, book fair (one BOGO book fair)....etc. Come to your neighborhood school! You won't regret it.

Jefferson 2

Posted May 17, 2011
Our family found this school to be mediocre, apathetic and uninspiring. Academics toe the teach-to-the-test line, science is barely rushed past a few times a year, art is almost nonexistent. Administrators are unresponsive to parent concerns about curriculum or homework, and inflexible -- the attitude is "this is the way it is, sorry if you have a problem with it". Older students routinely get away with harassing each other physically and verbally and even for younger kids I have found the staff to be unacceptably unresponsive to a child saying they're being picked on . The principal can hardly write a coherent email. It's a lovely building with facilities that are not taken advantage of to their full potential. The only shining spots are the kindergarten staff (engaging, passionate teachers who obviously love being with the kids and send home worn out, happy, stimulated classes every afternoon) and one fourth grade teacher who brooks no nonsense and is in great touch with her students.

Jefferson 0

Posted February 02, 2009
I couldn't pull my chlid out of this school fast enough. The neighborhood school has no connection to the neighborhood. Very nice and new, but the staff is apathetic, and the turnover in principles is ridiculous.

Posted January 04, 2006
Small school where I feel it's hard to get lost in the cracks. Lots of parent involvement. Both veteran teachers and new. Staff is very friendly, something one would hope to find in such a small school. I think that between the staff and parents this would be a school where it would be very difficult for any child to 'be left behind'.

Jefferson
6501 North 23rd St, Tacoma, WA  98406
Last modified Jefferson is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jefferson Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top