Manitou Park

Public | PK-5 | 591 students

Posted June 13, 2013

My kids attended this school grades 2nd and 4th. They have no structure in this school and the children are bullies. And most staff dont do a thing about any of it. Both my daughter and son have gotten bullied and beat , both in classroom and on the bus. My son has always been excited to go to school and learn. After attending manitou he was afraid of being bullied and hurt he didn't want to go. My son has had accidents in class due to the teacher not letting him use the classroom. And he has told me they do it all the time. And I never got one single phone call that he had an accident . We had to move in order to get our children away from that environment. And hopefully it's early enough to erase that nitemare from their memories.

Posted November 7, 2012

My children have attended for 3 years now and they love it. So far the teachers have been great although I have one questionable one this year. I however do not like how they are disiplined as a group when one child misbehaves, I do not see how punishing the whole group shows the one child not to misbehave again.

Posted September 27, 2012

My 2 boys attended Manitou for only 5 days and it was horrible. There were too many issues with Safety at Manitou! It was ridiculous! The location is next to a Public Park, with easy access to the playground/lack of true separation/safety. The drop off/pick up of students has Zero structure! They open a door and let the kids out to wander off and find their parent/adult. No Lines, no verification of identity of the adult, no specific place to pick up your grade of student. I was told to tell my kids to pick a tree and meet me there. REALLY? Drop off, I was advised to Not drop in front of the school since it's such a busy road, but to either drop at the end of the public park and let them walk through it (no way, with sex offenders and teenagers everywhere?) OR to drive around the back, drop them behind the Chain link fence, watch them walk through the playground, then for me to exit through the private residence alley way. NO SYSTEM! One of the 3 days I put them on the bus, the office instructed them to change & get on a different #'d bus, incorectly, without informing me. They were eventually dropped over an hour late! I will do everything in my power to never attend again!

Posted May 17, 2011

My sons have attended the school for 3 years and 1 year. I can't compare but I can share our experience. The building is new and beautiful. Staff is friendly. We have had one amazing teacher and 3 mediocre ones. Parent involvement is encouraged but it hasn't been clear how exactly I could be involved other than the PTA. You are welcome to eat lunch with your child which is neat. The classrooms are at capacity, very full. The one big problem we have had is the style of discipline. The class often gets punished as a group which is very frustrating when your kid is not the one making trouble yet is punished every day. In fact it's so frustrating that we are changing schools next year. They also let the kids talk at lunch but then when a mysterious, unknown to anybody level of loudness is reached suddenly everybody gets punished with missing recess time.It is ridiculous, not effective and hasn't been effective for years, yet they keep doing it! When I talked about this to the principal, my kid was put on the spot in front of the whole class, I was told that's how it is in life and we might as well get used to it and generally nobody cared I had a problem with it..

Posted January 6, 2011

I do not recommend this school!! My Grandson is a 1st Grader and a 5th grader beat him up on the bus for talking too much.There were many witnesses, and then she threatened to hit him again with her instrument case!! The school only sent home a note with the 5th grader and only made her say sorry..This is supposed to be a non bullying school ?? The Principal was too busy to deal with it so had the Vice Principal handle it..She apparently doesn't care about the safety of the children as being important!!!

Posted January 6, 2011

My daughter & son go to this school! My son is a 1st grader & my daughter kindergarten. I can agree with other comments that there are a couple good teachers there, like Ms Dorgan & Ms Clifford. But there is a lot of violence in the school. they say they have a "no bullying policy" but they dont enforce it well when it comes to punishing the bullies. Also if your child has any special needs:DO NOT take your child here! they do not have the time or patience to deal with it! My daughter who has a developmental delay, adhd & sensory processing disorder was having a bad day & they couldnt handle her so they sent her home! Also my son had told his teacher many times that he was being bullied & she always ignored it! Then a 5th grade girl punched him twice in the ribs & attempted to hit him with her instrument case. All the school made her do was say sorry & send a note home to her parents because this was the first time she had gotten in trouble before!

Posted July 30, 2008

My daughter transfered to Manitou Park earlier this year and has made a complete turn around in her school work. The staff is awsome and she loves her school.

Posted May 31, 2007

The think the academic programs are excellent. I do wish they could have more physical activities though. I've been there only 2 years and I've had great success with my childs teacher.

Posted September 8, 2006

I would not recommend this school to any one. The classrooms are overcrowded and the children do not get the attention they need. They only offer one recess and it's at lunch time. this is uncalled for.Children need time to feel free and let loose while in school. I am all for learning and work but a little play is alright too. There were days that my son was unable to finish his lunch due to the rush rush atmosphere. Also they have gone throught three principals in the last several years. this does not show much for this school at all. the discipline is unfair and your child will not be treated prpoerly in certain situations. I had too many problems at this school and my child no longer attends. Also be ware of school supplies you will be providing them for all the children not just yours. NOT COOL!

Posted August 31, 2006

The principal is horrible, she told me that a one child had the right to hurt another child without retribution or discipline. If you worry about your children's safety it will not be protected here.

Posted August 30, 2005

My family and I would like to give manitou a good review, as last year my son attened grade k as mrs patterson as his teacher as maurice had learned alot his first year of school his teacher worked with him as shes a great teacher I hope to see her teaching w/manitou for years to come. As maurice is returning to manitou for 1st grade this year we are so exsited!

Posted June 12, 2005

Manitou used to be much better than it is now...now they are less involved with students, over-crowded, not empathetic at all, and lack true heart. There is no warmth to this school! They give the kids 15-25 minutes, depending on how well they behave, to eat lunch, go potty, and play outside! UNACCEPTABLE! RIDICULOUS! My child comes home starving half the time! Not willing to work with the parents to figure out what is going on either. I WOULDN'T recommend Manitou Park Elementary AT ALL! NO WAY! The best thing is they have a few nice teachers.

Posted July 31, 2004

Manitou Park Elementary school is newer than some of the other schools around here. That is not the only reason to attend. The school has many great teachers. I went there the year before the new school was built. Then I attended the rest of my elementary school career. I loved it. My favorite teacher had to be Mrs.Bostwick. She inspired me in many ways and still does. She is great and so are many other teachers I had at this school. The teachers try very hard to reach each student on a friend level. They teach without some people noticing. They helped me through a lot. I was and I always will be a Manitou Bulldog at heart. I love the school!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 10, 2003

My kids have been in this school for going on 4 years now and I have always been impressed with the care and time that the teacher's put into their jobs. My kid's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Ogrady, always went above and beyond to teach the kids extra lessons such as counting in Japanese and Swahili, learning about Japan and Kenya, and always putting extra effort into reading activities. Both of my kids are above their grade level and continue to excel in this school. I would definitely recommend it to fellow parents.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students39%

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 55%N/A66%

• Mary Wilson

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4330 South 66th St