Mt Tahoma

Public | 9-12

Posted May 2, 2014

If the student wants Rigor it's at Mount Tahoma. If the student doesn't want AP they can put it off until Senior year. The school offers AP and College credit classes in just about every subject. The best example is the High School PreCalculus/Calculus teacher has his program accredited from Central Washington University so students earn 5 college credits from Central for PreCalculus. This is huge because it opens 90% of the majors at the university level. This is just one of over a dozen examples. The best part about this school is the students! We moved my daughter when bullied at the North End High School because she was not a Barbie, she is however, a very pretty young lady and very nice to everyone. The students at Mt. Tahoma have such a diverse ethnic heritage they all accept each other. The Multiculture event is huge and everyone supports each other and compliments one another. The culture at Mt. Tahoma promotes groups and clubs and getting involved. They also promote academics and have at least five different college programs: TRiO, CSF, College Bound, Pacific Culture Outreach Program, and a couple of others my daughter told me about but I forgot what they are called.

Posted September 11, 2011

I think Mount. tahoma is a good school considering somethings that have gone on here. I really enjoy the JROTC program and i recommend it to other students to join it. GO T-BIRDS!

Posted July 6, 2011

I attended the new school for 4 years. I really enjoyed my time there. The staff was amazing and the teachers are really nice and yes, they do care whether or not you learn. That being said, the college prep and education in general is below standard. I was easily a 4.0 student with minimal studying. Toughest class I took? Honors chemistry and that wasn't even that hard. I moved onto the Running Start program at a community college and enjoyed it a lot more (and that wasn't even on par with university level education, but hey, it was free and it was more challenging). Enjoyed the school, not the level of education.

Posted March 6, 2009

I went to Mount Tahoma from 04-08. For all the parents that say that the students will enter college not knowing what to do and what not are wrong! I am going to WSU and doing fine. I have a 3.2 GPA where as at MT I had a 3.65. I love that school and it made me want to become a teacher. Thus I'm majoring in mathematics and hoping to become a math teacher at Mount Tahoma in a few years.

Posted November 30, 2007

Mount Tahoma is the best school i've ever attended. Mount Tahoma has gorgeous campus. i attended at there for my sophomore year and unfortunately i had to move the school. a bit of homework but not too bad and there's no pressure. it's like almost small society. I'm really glad that i've attended school. nicest teachers around me and joyful memory. 'T-bird Power is justified!'

Posted May 29, 2007

This is a beautiful school although very little homework and direction is given. My daughter is a freshman taking honors math and never has homework! The teachers seem to have little control over the classes and students do what they want. It is more of a social gathering rather than an academic learning environment. Very frustrating as a parent as these kids will have a real wake up call when entering collage with no solid study habits.

Posted January 11, 2007

School lacks class selection or stimulation for kids. Result kids are bored, no homework, and not learning. Lack of class structure & curriculum. Very poor education in the technical areas.

Posted March 30, 2006

Quality of academic programs, Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities, Level of parent involvement

Posted January 16, 2006

The school is brand new, opening in 2004, and so physically it is clean and beautiful. However, they seemed to have spend all their money on the school and left none for school supplies. There are virtually no books, paper, any type of supplies and therefore my daughter receives no homework and is often times bored with her classes. I asked that she be placed in honors classes and still it is not challenging enough to keep her interest. Test scores for this school are low and they do not push the students as much as they could. Staff is pleasant, but is greatly lacking in strong organization and serious learning techniques.

Posted August 20, 2005

Modern new school. Offers alot of programs, but are not followed through. Needs tough guide lines for students and staff. Low parent involvement, and low teacher communications to family.

Posted June 3, 2005

Mount Tahoma is a great school who has commetted themselve to trying a new, small school way of teachings.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 1, 2005

Both of our kids graduated from MT.T. One in 03 and one in 04. The teachers/staff and especially Principal Shearer were so helpful in our kids academics and personal lives that is probably one of the reasons they are both attending college now! They did not get to attend the 'new' MT.T but they will always be THUNDERBIRDS at heart!

Posted December 24, 2004

There is no other school like Mount Tahoma. The staff are close knit, fun and really work hard for the students. It's like a small community. There's a club/extracurricular for almost everyone- and if there isn't, then you can start one! I had the chance to go to Foss, but am so glad that I stayed at Mount Tahoma.

Posted July 8, 2004

I went to Mt. Tahoma after transferring from Clover Park. My grades were immediately better, I made honor roll every semester, and got a scholarship to college.

Posted August 19, 2003

This school has had a great impact on my life. Thanks to all the staff that cared so much about thier students!!

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

235 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students11%

Female9%
Low income8%
Not special education16%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

335 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

285 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

322 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 12N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 55%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing and written arts
  • Drama

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool

• Kevin Kannier

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6229 South Tyler St