Tacoma, WA

Posted October 04, 2014
Horrible! Some of the teachers are bullies and if you stand up for your kids they center your child out and bully them!

Point Defiance 1

Posted June 13, 2014
Pt. Defiance Elemantary School is horrible.Some teachers are good,but some are bad.the The teachers always have favorites.They always say things to their favorites and never pay attention to the other kids. Also, my child, who is going to be a fourth grader, had a very rude third grade teacher. The teacher would always ignore the students. I do not reccomend this school.

Point Defiance 3

Posted April 04, 2014
this school has a awesome kindergaten teacher mrs.riggio but it seemslike the 5th grade teacher dont quit help out with the kids that need help luckly my daughter has found a new middle school that willing to help with what she didnt get in 5ht.

Point Defiance 1

Posted November 14, 2013
This school is horrid... I wish I had seen this site before I decided where to move!! My sons third grade teacher is rude, pushy and inattentive. My son hates school and has never ever hated school!

Posted October 02, 2013
Not impressed with this school thus far. While a focus on reading is wonderful it shouldn't be the only focus. Cannot believe the lack of attention paid to math and science. Only three weeks into school and my child has been injured twice with not so much as a leter sent home. I will be looking for a new school.

Posted September 24, 2013
My son just started kindergarted this year and his teacher is so rude and pushy. I can't talk to her about his progress at all without her changing the subject or cutting me off so I don't get to say anything.. I don't feel comfortable leaving him there with her, I feel as though she does not like him and treats him differently than the other children. Currently looking at otherschools to possibly go to.

Posted August 12, 2012
Pt. Defiance is a blessing for our family!!! So far three of our kids have attended and the great teachers at Pt. Defiance have taught them sooo much, they all excel in most subjects and are happy to wake up everyday and go to school. The oldest now is in middle school and continues to excel with a 3.9 GPA. I believe that what makes this school great is that principal, teachers and parents all CARE!!! Academics is a priority but to make kids welcome and noticing their hard work is just as important in this school. Our fourth child is going to attend this year and is also getting Mrs. Jacobs!!! My kids like her very much for a kindergarden teacher. In first grade Mrs. Hanson helped my kids with strong math and reading skills!!!! I believe she gave my kids a strong start for the rest of school life!!! Mr. Pittrof is a great fourth grade teacher, my child has never had a boring day in his class, so is Mrs. Watt for fifth grade and Mrs. Ancich for second grade! So far I haven't met a teacher that was not great. Thank You Pt. Defiance for such a great school and to Principal Olga Lay for always making sure our kids get the best education and a great environment to be in.

Posted April 12, 2011
My son came to Pt. Defiance after not having a successful experience at another school. My son is medicated ADHD and very challenging. I met with Mrs. Lay (the Principal) and explained to her my concerns regarding my son. She was caring and kind and placed my son in Mrs. King's classroom. He is a completely different child. He likes going to school, wakes up happy, and when I told him he will not have Mrs. King next year he was upset. I have spoken to several teachers at Pt. Defiance and the love they have for their children is unlike anything else I have seen anywhere aside from private schools. The teachers treat every child like they are the most important person in the world. I have seen teachers show patience with even the most difficult child. I can honestly say that Pt. Defiance is like a private school without the tuition.

Posted June 09, 2010
Point Defianace is a great elementary school. The school welcomes parent involvement and has a high family turn out at all the events. We have been involved with the school for 3 years. My daughter started kindergarten with Mrs Riggio and she is such a GREAT teacher. I have seen several kids transfer out of Point Defiance when they move to a different area and have ended up returning to the school because they missed it so much. We have nothing but great things to say about all the staff and teachers!

Posted May 05, 2010
My daughter is in kindergarten with Mrs. Jacobs. She loves her teacher and principal. The curriculum is well rounded. She learned how to read and write, is doing math and science projects. We had an issue with a boy picking her. We addressed this with the principal and she immediately had a conversation with her and him. She listened to both kids, found the cause of the problem and came up with a plan to stop the situation. It worked and a few weeks later the 2 became friends. The PTA is wonderful with lots of family activates. The only complaint I have is the Music teacher. He seems to have a hard time handling a lot of children. Overall the school is great. If you choose to be involved in the school community you can make some great friends for yourself and your kid(s).

Point Defiance
4330 North Visscher St, Tacoma, WA  98407
Last modified Point Defiance is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Point Defiance Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top