Tacoma, WA

Sherman 1

Posted October 04, 2014
Awful!!!!!!! Unless you don't advocate for your special needs child then it's ok.. If you advocate for your child your child becomes the target. The principal is fake and talks behind peoples backs loud enough for parents to hear it.. There are a few extremely flaky teachers in the school that are extremely immature and need to learn to act like adults and write students up for acting like children and not robots like the one teacher that comes to mind thinks they should.. There is one teacher if you stick up for your child that particular individual will center your child out for the rest of the year and nit pick everything they do even if the child has special needs...

Sherman

Posted March 25, 2009
Sherman is a wonderful school comprised of caring staff and students.

Posted January 01, 2008
This is my ninth year at Sherman Elementary. I have taught grades 3-5 at various times. We have, in that time frame, gone through two principal changes and the deaths of both a student and a teacher (in the same year.) This along with the normal changes a school goes through, Sherman has gone through extraordinary challenges. However, what does remain is the commitment my colleagues, principal, parents and the students have for working hard to become the best they can be. We are dedicated to not only the development of students as world class learners, but also as world class people. We realize that not only do we teach math and curriculum, but we teach human beings. I am honored to be considered part of such a great staff.

Posted October 18, 2007
Sherman has been a wonderful change for my family. The teachers and staff really care about my students and the communication is there for all. Education is definitely on the front burner. The school is really focused on making successful students.

Posted September 12, 2006
In my four years at Sherman, there has been a lot of change. One thing that stays the same however, is a strong focus on academics. This focus comes from the Principal, the staff and the parents. Although, as a family, we haven't always had the 'perfect' fit with teachers, they are all very dedicated and our overall experience has been great. It's simply a matter of finding one who's teaching style matches your child's learning style. We were graced with a new Principal last year, and she remains with us again this year. Under her strong leadership, I only see Sherman growing and becoming an even better place to set our children up for a bright future. I encourage any family that sets high academic goals for their children to enroll at Sherman, I have two children there now, and the third will start soon.

Posted May 08, 2006
Our daughter has been a student at Sherman for two years (kindergarten & now just finishing 1st grade) and so far we are pleased with her progress. Her reading ability is impressive and we appreciate that art, music and PE activities are incorporated into the curriculum. We have found her teachers and principal to be open and receptive, even when we had criticisms or questions. One of the most impressive qualities is the parent support - wow! Always great turnout at meetings and activities. I have heard other parents express concern about teacher quality, but that has not been our experience. In particular, I'd like to give a shout out to Mr. Stanley, Sherman's all day kindergarten teacher - a truly superb and talented teacher. We considered Washington-Hoyt because of its reputation, but Sherman is our neighborhood school. It's proven to be a good decision as Sherman is top-notch. Go Tigers!

Posted November 11, 2005
I have two children at Sherman. We have been at Sherman for four years now and overall have enjoyed out experience. We've watched the school go through some tough changes, the staff and the families of Sherman are wonderful. I'm an delighted to see where the school is heading, and am confident that we as a community will reach our goals in providing an outstanding education for the Sherman students.

Posted June 03, 2005
I currently have two children attending Sherman. I have mixed reviews of teachers. They do have a few motivated teachers with high expectations. However, they also have a number of teachers with low expectations of children. Chose your teachers wisely.

Posted May 31, 2005
I have a grandson who is in first grade at Sherman. I am completely impressed by the growth he has made this year in reading and math. His teacher has done a superb job of heading him in the direction of becoming a lifelong learner. He loves school and has made many friends. The principal is very visible and enthusiastic and supportive of the students. The parent involvement is excellent. There are many extracurricular activities for students at all grade levels. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Sherman 2

Posted April 04, 2005
As a few other parents have already stated there are a few good teachers but they are over shadowed by a few that really need to improve or find another career. The teachers yell (one comes to mind who yells constantly) at the students and punish all for the acts of one by taking away what little recess they are allowed. This not only teaches those who behave a life lesson that there is no point in behaving because it doesn t matter how you behave because as long as one is misbehaving everyone gets punished. The school needs to implement a regularly scheduled recess into the curriculum, after all don t teachers and employees get schedule which is required by law ? As has been said before, the principal tends to white wash the problems going on with the teachers due to her not wanting to rock the boat. The facility itself is beautiful. Though security needs to be tightened I have yet to be stopped for just walking in and never questioned as to why I am there. I would recommend if thinking of enrolling your child here to check out the teachers before hand and plan which teachers you would like your child to be instructed by.

Sherman
4415 North 38th St, Tacoma, WA  98407
Last modified Sherman is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sherman Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top