Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Truman 4

Posted May 02, 2016
My 6th grader daughter has liked her first year at Truman. Her teachers are all really nice and she has enjoyed being in the after school drama club. So far my daughter and I have had a positive experience at this school so I don't really understand the negative reviews.

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted March 06, 2016
Mr Horton is such a good counselor and deserves a huge thank you he go's through so much every day

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted March 06, 2016
This school has no discipline and the uniforms almost make the school worst and the teachers are super mean and don't listen

Posted March 06, 2016
I hate this school so many bullies and the teachers are horrible worst school my kid has ever been to

Truman 5

Posted February 11, 2016
All of the comment i see have changed now. The school has close to no bullies and the teachers update hac everyday now. Everyone please check the date on these first because truman is great now

Posted April 23, 2015
my daughter was here for 4 months and was bullied and harassed without any parents being involved even asking multiple times for a meeting. she was coming home crying and complaining about them cornering her and spreading sexual rumors about her. Then when i took her out, the principle wasn't even aware and called me to ask about her being absent. The teachers are incompetent and rude. This school is horribly ran.

Posted April 09, 2014
My son is finishing his 3rd year at Truman. * Avoid sending your child to this school. * There are only a few good teachers. Most teachers do not post on a regular basis to the grades online website. In one class my son had tests scores of 95%-100% & high assignment scores, and perfect attendance as well - yet his grade was a C. When I asked the teacher to explain how this could be his reply was my son did not raise his hand enough. ?? I had to fight just to get my son's grade to a B+ when he should have received a solid A. Since attending Truman his grades have dropped off. The principal is far more concerned with the dress code than she is academics. I had asked the vice principal face to face if I could speak with him privately. He looked directly at me & told me no. I have left voice messages for the principal & not once has she ever bothered to return a phone call. Maybe if the principal spent more time worrying about what students are actually doing instead of what they are wearing - she might figure out what really goes on at Truman. My younger child is heading into middle school next year. There is no way she will be attending Truman.

Posted January 26, 2014
If your child has an IEP or falls under special ed DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL. My kid went here for a year and it was ridiculous joke. Teachers who are uneducated on special needs especially autism (This school does have autism program) Principals in Tacoma district don't know anything about special needs kids. I now go to a good district where I dont have to explain my child to them they get it and I no longer get the constant calls to pick him up cause they don't want to deal with him or understand why he is reacting a certain way.

Truman 2

Posted March 20, 2008
The school needs to re-evaluate its transportation policy. My child lives 1.4 miles from school. Yet falls within the 'circle' of being close enough to walk. It may only be a mile as a crow flies, but my child doesn't fly so its 1.4 miles to get to school! There are numerous parents not happy with the situation. My child wasn't allowed to walk to school for elementary school ( a bus was provided) at age 11, yet it is acceptable in middle school at the same age, plus Truman is further away and is located on a busy street. The school appears clean and well maintained. I just wish that more core subjects where taught. My child can go into detail about Martin Luther, yet knows nothing of our country's presidents and has studied other countries yet nothing about America!

Truman 3

Posted March 20, 2008
I attended a Catholic school and fully understand the need for rules but Truman goes to far. The school has random dress code violation checks that requires when asked the student to lift up their tops to check for compliance. How would an adult feel if they responded to work only to have their boss ask them to lift up their tops to make sure they had on the appropriate shirt underneath? As long as a student appears to be dressing with the code why make them left their tops and pants? Students are told not to compliment each other, touch each other in anyway, you can't can't even pat a friend on the back for a job well done! Yes the school is clean, most teachers seem adequate. There are quite a few parents that are fed up with the over zealous rules.

5801 North 35th St, Tacoma, WA  98407
Last modified Truman is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.