Washington-Hoyt 3

Posted May 09, 2014
I cannot rave enough about the two teachers that my children were lucky enough to get this year. With that said, there are a few teachers that should not be teaching Sadly there aren't many extra curriculars offered. They do 2 school plays a year and many kids who want to participate get left out. There's a fight to get in your permission slip for the few activities offered and many kids don't get to participate. There is NO art specialist and art relies on parent-volunteers; they do their best but it isn't often enough-- maybe once a month or every other and unless a class parent offers to lead it certain classes don't get any! The music specialist is a joke and he relies on recorded electronic music for his kids choir performances which are boring. The worse part is Principal Knight is nothing more than a "hall monitor", as I've heard him referred to. His only concern is safety at drop-offs and pick-ups and he never shows any leadership; he seems dazed and confused most of the time. His answer to everything brought up in PTA meetings is "let a parent take charge of that". He has ZERO innovation! If it wasn't for strong parent involvement I'd move my kids to another school.

Posted May 14, 2013
As others have said, this school has an amazing sense of community about it. The teachers and principal have really treated our kids as family and we are proud to be a part of it.

Posted August 31, 2010
The sense of community at Washington-Hoyt is amazing. My son has been attending since kindergarten and I cannot imagine sending him off to any other school. The teachers keep the children engaged and excited about learning, and the level of parental involvement is amazing.

Posted September 17, 2009
The school is a huge collaborative community--parents, teachers, staff and students give their all to make the environment as welcoming and enriching for the students as possible

Posted September 26, 2007

Washington-Hoyt 4

Posted February 28, 2007
My son loves his school and his teacher, despite being in the warm basement of Washington as a Kindergartner. He has the newest teacher, Mrs. Hansen, who is supportive and challenging. My son LOVES to try to read--his teacher makes sure he finds it fun, so reading and writing are never chores. The school worked hard to find a good match for its second extended KG. The parent involvement at this school is practically intimidating. The PTA is so involved--and check out our crossing guard. The interest gives you the sense that parents pay big bucks to send their kids here!

Posted August 20, 2006
This is a great school. It is fun and great. I love the great teachers They are all fun and hard workers that send responsibilities to every indivisual! They are kind! Every one is kind and smart. This school is kinda Old but it is very good to be there! I have been there 5 years

Posted May 09, 2006
We have one child in the kindergarten extended day class. We have been very happy with the teacher as well as the academics. The level of parent involvement is very high. There are 9 boys and 15 girls in his class. While he is not fond of music (or the teacher) he loves all the art projects they do and being able to check out a library book on Wednesdays. We would be disappointed if they closed this school!

Posted February 17, 2006
Outstanding school in a historic setting. Cant say enough about the quality of the staff and the education my child has been receiving while at Washington-Hoyt. The school is in the heart of the Proctor neighborhood, a quite walkable commercial and residential neighborhood. We studied our options in the south sound and found the quality of education and setting unmatched.

Washington-Hoyt 4

Posted August 01, 2005

Washington-Hoyt
3701 North 26th St, Tacoma, WA  98407
Last modified Washington-Hoyt is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington-Hoyt Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top