Tacoma, WA
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Thank you for your interest in Annie Wright Schools. We welcome and value all feedback. Annie Wright puts children at the heart of every program, policy and decision. The school is in the process of adopting the internationally-recognized IB curriculum throughout the school, which has both helped retain excellent and experienced teachers and attract world-class faculty from around the world. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to provide feedback or learn more about our wonderful community and program. - Jennifer Haley, Director of Enrollment
March 19, 2014

Posted May 21, 2014
I like the small class sizes and the parental involvement and sense of supportive community. Most of all, I am enjoying watching my two cute kids turn into confident and caring young ladies. And I have no doubt that the teachers they have had at Annie Wright and the administration has helped foster not only their academic development but also their social and emotional well being.

Posted March 10, 2014
We love this school and are so happy to have our two boys here. The teachers and leadership, including the head, are amazing. My boys are challenged and their teachers know them well. The community is great: laid back, involved, loyal and dedicated. My boys are happy here!

Posted February 24, 2014
There is a problem at Annie Wright School, and it is the principal. He is rude, disrespectful, unhelpful, and many other things. When I spoke with him, he was demeaning and unyielding, and he seems to be trying to rehaul the entire school according to some ridiculous standard where he continuously fires people. I know for a fact that the school has had to settle for worse teachers because the head fires people so often that they have trouble filling the openings with qualified candidates. I have also spoken to ex-employees, and though they are general very pleasant, not a single one of them has a pleasant thing to say about him.

Posted February 12, 2014
My experience at this school has been completely contrary to the few negative reviews posted here. I moved my children out of Tacoma Public School in Fall 2013 and I have been extremely impressed by the very high academic standards at Annie Wright. The Headmaster is charismatic, down-to-earth, and 100% committed to the long-term viability of the school. My kids both tested into the Highly Capable program in Tacoma Public Schools. They feel very academically challenged and are given extra and more challenging work to satisfy their interests and strengths. The teachers are very responsive and there is regular and detailed communication from the teachers, Headmaster, and other school leaders. Civic engagement and the development of emotional intelligence are emphasized - skills that I think are often overlooked but critically important. In short, Annie Wright is worth every penny and moving my kids to the school has been the single best decision we have made so far. With respect to the bullying comments, my experience has been the complete opposite, my children have been made to feel very welcome and they report an atmosphere of warmth and inclusion for all students.

Posted September 01, 2013
This is a great school. The headmaster is determined to do the best for the collective and run the school based on the needs of the students...not the whims of the parent. Emphasis is placed upon academics and arts. Lots of forward thinking, end goal being to get our children into great colleges and create a generation of critical thinkers invested into community. Bullying is a problem in all schools...slowly being dealt with. Parents MUST be involved whether at AW or anywhere. Lower school improvements (IB program) at AW make me very excited. Proud AW parent. Devoted to my child's education and well being. If I weren't she'd be somewhere else. Parents are never involved enough...until they leave and write scathing reviews on the internet. I don't care where your kids go to school. As a parent, you must be involved. You're the biggest advocate for your child. Find a good school and commit to making it worthwhile for your kid...and the community. Good luck in your search!

Posted July 01, 2013
Head of school is a bully who has driven off tons of staff the past 3 years (look it up to confirm turnover rate). Head is short-term, reactionary, and doesn't keep in mind long term health and moral growth of children. Community has been concerned with turnover at this position the past decade....TURN IT OVER. Head is toxic to the environment here.

Posted September 17, 2012
We gave up. We paid full price for our child to attend AWS for several years. Our child did super on the standardized tests at AWS (ERBs). Sadly, high achievers are a small minority. Test scores were well below self-selected independent peer group and no better than public schools. As many have mentioned, bullying remains a serious problem and is not dealt with. Many of the teachers are good. Many, however, have fled the current administration. Top third students will be bored and unchallenged.

Posted March 14, 2012
Our daughter is a domestic boarder. This is and has been a wonderful experience for her. For the right student, I highly recommend the school.

Posted June 14, 2011
This school is amazing! I have been at annie wright for one year and i'm waiting anxiously for the next academic year as a seventh grader! we went on many exciting trips during sixth grade. This school is by far the best school i've ever gone to

Posted May 10, 2011
My children have had a wonderful experience at Annie Wright. Their development over three years has been astonishing, and has clearly outpaced their peers at their old school. This is a direct result of the teaching and program at Annie Wright. The teachers truly care and the leadership is excellent. A previous contributor commented that trustees gave themselves a raise. I know for a fact that trustees do not get paid.

Annie Wright Schools