Tacoma, WA

Posted June 03, 2014
The education my daughter has received has helped her to develop into an amazing, well rounded child. She is respectful, compassionate and self-confident. She has transitioned from Tacoma Waldorf School to a public middle school with confidence & ease. She has a sense of pride in her work that her teachers noticed and have commented on her "outside the box" thinking.

Posted May 23, 2014
I am so glad we learned about this gem of a school! I began attending the parent-tot classes with my daughter when she was two. She is now in the 3rd grade and we love TWS. Waldorf education's rich curriculum is presented at developmentally appropriate times and in ways that engage the children on many levels. Having the arts, movement and an appreciation for nature integrated deeply in the subject matter brings a deeper understanding and encourages a love for learning. Our family highly recommends TWS!

Posted May 20, 2014
The teachers are all amazing. They integrate the arts with academics and allows children to fully develop their unique talents and capacities. Its all based on the amazing Waldorf philosophy, founded in German in the early 20th century based on the insights and teaching of Rudolf Steiner, a renowned anthroposophist, artist, scientist, and thinker. It evolved from a profound understanding of the human spirit and human development. The teachers here educate the whole child and this unique education inspires life long learning and intellectual curiosity. The maturity and knowledge base of my 7 and 5 year old children based on their experiences here are truly astonishing. My five year old son counts and sings songs in Japanese, and my seven year old daughter can do multiplication tables while jump roping. Really amazing.

Posted May 20, 2014
After 6 years of attending this school with experience of my children being taught by 5 teachers of the staff as well as specialty class teachers, I can honestly say that what they experience is an excellent and satisfying education. Movement and creativity is woven through storytelling, mathematics, writing, music and foreign language. This provides an engrossing and exciting education for all ages. It is so important to understand different points of view and seeing learing from varying avenues in our ever changing world and Waldorf education is outstanding and well established at this. Tacoma Waldorf School has a strong parent community and strives towards supporting each other as our school grows. 20 years and still going strong!

Posted May 31, 2013
The staff and philosophy of this school are beyond expectations!! We were lucky enough to have Kim Gonczar as my daughters teacher and I can't speak highly enough of her. When my daughter was exhibiting some behavior that may have been considered "disruptive" to other educators, Kim took the time to try and understand where my daughter was at in life and meet her where she was. This school, the community and staff has crept it's way into all aspects of our life. The reason we chose Waldorf education for our daughter is because I wanted to see a happy healthy whole person emerge within my child and that is exactly what we have gotten. Besides the amazing faculty, the parents are among the hardest working, committed people I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. We might not fit exactly what a "Waldorf family" looks like, but we have been embraced in the community and I have made many life long loving connections with other families. If this school is something you don't exactly understand, it is worth doing some research to find out how your child could benefit.

Posted April 24, 2013
We're so blessed to have found TWS! We love the philosophy of the school and have faith in the Waldorf methods which some may find unconventional. We are in it for the long haul, and hope to help the school continue to grow through grade 8. Small schools like TWS do require parental involvement and support, but we like being involved in the school and our children's education. As with any school, there are always improvements to be made, but as a community we continue to work together to provide a wonderful educational environment for our children.

Posted August 24, 2012
My son is going into 2nd grade at Tacoma Waldorf school. He has been attending there since he was 3 1/2. I adore his teacher preschool teacher, and his grades teacher Kim is beyond wonderful! I never realized what a difference the environment makes until this summer. My son and I have been exposed to more children that attend different types of schools, outside of the Waldorf realm. I am very thankful for the values of compassion for the world around him that Waldorf has helped instill.

Tacoma Waldorf School 0

Posted March 13, 2010
Tacoma Waldorf School is a community for our family. Both of my children are thriving and love school. Each cries if they have to miss a school day from being sick...who can ask for anything more? The academics of the grades program is brought in a multi modal way to reach the many learning styles of the children in the classes. Don't let all the pretty colors on the walls fool you into believing this is anything but a fully functioning learning environment which teaches children a lot while keeping the children engaged and happy to be there. I highly recommend to families looking for a healthy learning environment to come and check it out and speak with our teachers about all the exciting things Tacoma Waldorf has to offer. It does take commitment from families of time, talent, and treasure..but it is worth it.

Posted January 13, 2010
After we had done the research on all of the local schools and we visited at least a dozen of the preschools in Tacoma and surrounding area, we decided on Tacoma Waldorf for several reasons. One was the focus on each individual child as a mental, physical and spiritual being; that the classrooms were filled with light, natural toys and the semll of freshly baked bread or homemade soup; that the teachers were so clearly invested in each child and how the Waldorf beliefs about child development allow children in the kindergartens to experience childhood as the fun, happy and magical time it should be. Children spend considerable time outside exploring the natural world and singing songs that reflect the task at hand. Academics come in the 1st grade & beyond and hebolder hildren are incredibly well rounded and take their work seriously.

Posted January 13, 2010
We are the parents of a child here at the Waldorf School and have found there to be an excellent academic element in the higher grades (grades 1+) and the teachers are highly qualified. I find the staff to be welcoming to new families and very appreciative of the volunteering we have done. This is a small non profit school and as such they rely on everyone's help in making this school he wonderful gem it is. The arts, academics and a focus on physical activity and play make this school a well rounded place for children. And with little emphasis on testing, children flourish in learning ( and much of what is taught is the same as the public schools just tauht more creatively and interactively) without false pressure to conform.

Tacoma Waldorf School