Posted August 05, 2014
My Son has attended this school since Kindergarten. He is now (2014-2015) in the 4th grade. Not only is the school completely renovated and modernized but the teachers and staff have made it a priority to place individual emphasis on the students and they have done it. I have emails from every teacher he's ever had. I work 8 hours a day and still make time to visit and volunteer when I can and lots of parents do. No homework? Really? You better check your student's backpack every once in a while!. My Son comes home with a load of stuff for us to work with him on and we do it! I'm not sure what kinds of problems these other parents have had but this school and the teachers are excellent. I'm actually worried about placing my child in the local school when the time comes. Good Luck!

Posted June 11, 2014
This school is a joke! We moved from Tx. and I enrolled 2 boys into the school, one gifted, the other had an IEP. My one son, did well in 2nd grade, his teacher made an effort to stay in contact with me, and always encouraged him. In a matter of 4 months we had 4 IEP meetings and I begged them to help my son, while he was failing math and doing poorly on other areas, and his teacher along with the principal and everyone else in the meeting did nothing to change his IEP, order tests, do tutorials after school with him, instead blamed him, his teacher would yell at him because he'd get upset when he didn't understand math and need more help, they accused him of being a bad student and myself for taking him out of school to go to necessary specialists. WORST SCHOOL EVER!

Posted February 05, 2014
This is was one of the worst things I have ever subjected my kids to. When we attended we had no spelling words, no AR reading, no homework ever. They did Dibels reading which is completely fluency based nothing on comprehension. I feel like the worst parent ever for taking my children to this school. The lack of leadership the school has is a disgrace.

Posted June 06, 2013
After reading the below average reviews on this website I was concerned for my sons education. I thought of home schooling or driving him to another school district. It wasn't until I asked a parent at the park about the school and she said it best. The school does what it can and it is up to us parents to reinforce what they learn at home. The school provides a number of online resources for math, and reading improvement. I have been more than pleased with the education, communication provided by son's teacher Mrs. Strand an above and beyond educator. Parents we have to take responsibility for our children's education.

Carter Lake Elementary School 2

Posted January 14, 2013
School is not that great. Very few teachers are friendly and care about the children. Majority of the staff are very hateful. Teachers have no clue how to keep kids attention and blame the child for wanting to more work to do. Teachers are generally new and right out of college. Moved my child to a school in Bethel school district. Has same ratings, but shouldn't! Bethel School District has been PHENOMINAL!!!

Posted April 18, 2012
this school is horrible. my childs' teacher doesn't even like kids. there are no updates,i never know whats going on, teacher never talks to me.can't wait to get my child out by the end of the year. but i am not really surprised, just look at some teachers facebook.

Posted March 05, 2012
This is my child's first year at this school and it is horrible. Everyday I ask her about her day and its the same old thing, we watched a movie. I was concerned so I emailed the teacher after 3 failed attempts to meet with her in person (she always had a sub), to see what was going on, she never responded and its been 2 weeks since the last email. We moved on post thinking it would be better for us to have our children surrounded by peers who all are military but its not. I WILL BE MOVING OFF POST JUST SO SHE DOESN'T HAVE TO GO BACK TO CARTER LAKE EVER AGAIN! Why are teachers and staff commenting on this post? We know what you have to say, you all should be replaced with new teachers. Our kids already suffer enough with parents being deployed constantly why are you making it worse? I was wondering why everone on my street homeschool their kids!

Posted July 17, 2011
This school is the worst, it has no communication skills within the school between teacher and teacher, parents and teachers and teachers and principle. Most staff seem to have little actual interest in the children's educational welfare. I had to finally get the right teacher and complain for a year before my child could get tested, and after he was, he started getting the help he needed. Fifth grade is the worst grade for the kids, it is full of confusion and only one of the teachers seems to care. My kids tested above standard but got low grades and half their class was failing. That can't be the kids. This school needs a major overhaul.. Now in a new school, my kids get honor roll and still test above standards. I personally know many people that chose to home school rather than send their children to this school after seeing it in action.

Posted January 20, 2011
I am just amazed that once again the only people that is saying anything about the school is a teacher. So that should tell you right there don't believe what you read. People are still moving off base because the school is so bad or they are driving their children to other schools.

Posted December 15, 2010
December 2010 has shown a positive change in Carter Lake. The Special needs team at Carter Lake has been dubbed the "Dream Team". The team is made up of highly educated, motivated, and compassionate professionals. This team works diligently, daily with highly qualified classroom teachers to design the most optimal learning environments for students. Support staff is very approachable and willing to go the extra mile to meet the needs of the students. Be part of the change and come support the efforts of Carter Lake!!!!!

Carter Lake Elementary School
3415 Lincoln Blvd SW, Tacoma, WA  98439
Last modified Carter Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carter Lake Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top