Posted September 08, 2014
WAVA K-12 is a wonderful online public school. I have been home schooling my 2 boys, Brady who is 16 and Ashton who is 11, for 6 years now. I decided to pull my boys from the regular brick and mortar school because the teacher to student ratio was 1 to 30. This was very unacceptable for my husband and me. After researching the many different options we chose WAVA K-12 due to the personal recommendations and the type of education they had to offer. This program is adaptable to every students need. Whether you are a head, behind, or right on track, this program will create a schedule that is meant specifically for your student s needs. My 16 year old son is advanced with his schooling. He has been able to use this program to advance and fulfill his specific career goals. He will be attending college full time which will allow him to get his A.A. Transfer degree and his High School diploma at the same time. This program is truly wonderful and I would encourage everyone to use this program for your home schooling needs.

Washington Virtual Academies 2

Posted September 04, 2014
So far registration is a PAIN! Months we have been trying to get all of her paperwork straightened out. Call center gives you a new person to deal with each time we call... hopefully the attention will be better once she finally gets enrolled! Will update

Washington Virtual Academies 4

Posted June 23, 2014
My daughter just completed her first year with WAVA. She joined WAVA because she was learning nothing at our local school. Her initial testing showed she was below level. I am pleased to say she completed the year on the honor roll and with above average scores. Granted it was quite a bit of work for me as Learning Coach and registration is a pain, but I like the mastery based system. I will definitely be returning this fall.

Posted June 22, 2014
The registration can be difficult, but I found that this was due primarily to our local school district. My daughter attended WAVA from 4th-12th, graduating this year. She always found the system, requirements, teachers, and administration very easy to deal with. My daughter will be attending The University of Alabama this year. We never had a problem with the curriculum. It should also be noted without the testing WAVA participates in my daughter would never had been accepted into University at all. I would recommend WAVA to everyone I know!

Posted June 22, 2014
We started our journey with WAVA, almost 5-years ago. Back then it was a good alternative to brick-and-mortar public school. However, over the past 2-years it became more like a traditional public school. Requirements began to change, and they became ridiculously demanding and rigid! Further, I watched in disbelief, while WAVA began to implement Common Core curriculum. This was done on the sly, without ever informing parents. This year, announcements were made that further Common Core requirements and changes to State testing would be implemented - beginning with middle school. This was the last straw, and it was time for us to say good-bye. We will be transitioning to traditional home school, come fall.

Posted January 23, 2014
If I could give negative 1 star I would. This organization is horrific to deal with even during the enrollment process. I can't imagine what it would be like to enroll as a full time student. After 2 weeks of being on hold forever and never getting full answers to my questions, I withdrew our enrollment for my high schooler. This organization is misleading in saying you have a PAL or personal liason to work with you. They give you a national "PAL" line, and say a name of a consultant for whom you don't get a direct line. When you call, you are on hold for at least a half an hour to try to talk to someone, and when you do talk, it is to whomever answers the phone. They have scripts and are constantly wanting to talk the scripts and are afraid to give you direct lines to supervisors or anyone who has power to actually give answers. I would not recommend K12 or WAVA.

Posted September 05, 2013
Amazing school, it offers mastery of a subject and then moving forward onto the next learning opportunity. Teachers and parents are very supportive and help each other learn. It provides an chance for our kids to get an excellent education and still follow their dreams without the restriction of schedules. :)

Posted September 04, 2013
Horrid. I agree with older reviews and we did this the entire 2012/13 school year. We wanted an online school that would teach my child and allow her to obtain a regular high school diploma at the end. She is currently a beginning jr high student. I did not want to homeschool following someone else's strict program with confusing recording, reporting, and even open ended grading required of me (I'm not a teacher!) They said parent supervision/involvement. They did not specify that I'd pretty much need to pretend to be a teacher in my own home as if I had a classroom of students. It was dry material. Boring. Not fluent. No teaching from the teachers. Absolutely a waste! I only hope she got credit for finishing the courses weeks after school was out because they messed up on enrollment, form approvals, lost forms, even refused our vaccination exemptions (we are in our own home!), and she couldn't even begin courses until late October! By then they never helped us catch up. Never adjusted the daily work. By the time I caught it and figured out how to just flipping change the courses assigned per day she had to do 15 plus 1hr assignments per day in order to hope to finish. Burn out.

Posted November 12, 2012
This is our 2nd year with WAVA. I read some of the reviews below and understand the workload is scary for the learning coach. I have to add though that I felt overwhelmed to begin with. As the year progressed however I realised that my son and I simply needed an organized system. This way we actually finished school a week early last year. He scored well in MSP and he is doing great this year. I am not a qualified teacher or academic person but seriously, if you are committed to your child's future, you can DO THIS!

Posted September 20, 2012
Not an online school, an online administrator. The "Learning Coach" is actually the teacher. Be prepared for many hours of teaching each day with weekends used to prep for the upcoming week. Very little room to deviate from the k12 daily plans. I homeschooled my older children for 13 years and have never been more exhausted then after one week of WAVA with one child. Be prepared to teach five classes a day as well as watch two hours of online gatherings a week. I do not see how a family could do it with more than one child.

Washington Virtual Academies
2601 South 35th Street, Suite 100, Tacoma, WA  98409
Last modified Washington Virtual Academies is a Public school that serves grades K-12
Washington Virtual Academies Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top