No rating

Charles Wright Academy

Private | PK-12 | 700 students

We are best known for our strong relationships between teachers and students.

Living in Tacoma

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $262,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted July 18, 2014

We recently finished our first year at CWA and have been very pleased with our experience. We found a welcoming community with top-notch teachers who offer a curriculum that is challenging, thorough and thoughtful. The faculty is truly incredible and really 'get' my child. Most importantly, the mutual respect between students and teachers is something you just have to see for yourself. I appreciate that students feel safe, allowing them to take risks in the classroom, on the field, and in the arts. Charles Wright has been our best investment.

Posted June 30, 2014

We have a son who is a graduate of CWA and a daughter who is a rising 9th grader. Because of the superb teachers (many with advanced degrees and with international living and/or teaching experience), college preparatory curriculum, excellent sports and extracurricular programs, and two full time college counselors, our son ended up accepted to five of his six "first choice" colleges, received scholarship offers at most of these, and is thriving. His mandatory senior year internship yielded a summer and winter break job, too! Because he had small classes at CWA, he feels very comfortable speaking up in college classes and getting to know his professors. Our daughter is excited to begin her high school years at CWA. Her middle school teachers are very strong in their academic fields, and also understand the emotional roller coaster that middle school years are everywhere, and work extremely well with students and parents who are navigating this transition. Our advice is to schedule a tour, especially when school is in session, and talk with current students, parents, and teachers to see if CWA is a good match for your children. It sure has been for ours.

Posted April 29, 2014

My kids went to CWA from per-k thru 5th grade, and it is our opinion that the teachers are not experienced enough to adequately educate at the 5th grade level. Our child complained that his education was confusing and disappointing. CWA requires parents to let them know before July 1 if they are going to enroll for the following school year. I let them know I was not going to re-enroll for the coming school year and all of a sudden they are now trying to sue me for damages, claiming they didn t receive my notice. What damages, when the next school year hasn t even begun?! How aggressive is that?! They must really need the money. Way to thank good paying parents who had their kids enrolled in the school for years, pre-dating this situation. What ever happened to the notion that the customer is always right? Do we have to send things certified, return receipt requested, to be safe when communicating with this school? I m disgusted with the way the school has dealt with this situation--I would not refer my friends children to it in the future. The school is overrated and pretentious, aggressive and unfriendly.

Posted April 1, 2014

We are thrilled with our entire experience at Charles Wright. Our daughter joined the CWA family as a sixth grader, after five years of homeschool. She has made many friends, is excelling in all academic areas, loves her teachers, and is thoroughly enjoying both performing and fine arts. The teachers are highly skilled at building relationships with both the students and their families, providing opportunities for critical thinking skills to develop and flourish, and offering guidance and support as needed. Although the cost is very sacrificial for our family, it is worth EVERY penny and we look forward to our son joining his sister at school next year.

Posted December 14, 2013

Exceptional faculty and leadership combined with philosophy of inclusion and challenge create an exemplary learning experience.

Posted September 1, 2012

I can not say enough great things about this school. I have been in the upper school for two years after transferring from public schools. I was nervous at first about the small size of the school due to the fact that I didn't know if I would find people I liked there, however, this turned out to be a blessing. All the kids in all classes know each other on a personal basis. After a week there, the receptionist, the head of the upper school, head of the school, and both of the deans of students knew me by name. The kids here are extremely inclusive and inviting. I was frustrated at my last school because it was viewed as "uncool" to try and do well in school and wanting to succeed academically. Here the kids all care about how they do academically. However, they still have social lives just like normal teenagers. The teachers are exceptional. They make lessons very informative and interesting and always have time to help with things you don't understand. They even give out their home phone numbers to call if you need help after school! In two years, I can not find anything negative to say about this school.

Posted December 14, 2010

Charles Wright Academy is the best. My son started at CWA in the 6th grade and will continue through the Upper School. Within CWA, there is a culture among students, parents, and staff that places a high value on learning and acheivement. We surveyed other schools in the South Sound and are very glad to be associated with CWA.

Posted November 18, 2010

Charles Wright Academy is the finest private school in the south sound region of Washington State. My two children joined CWA in Middle School. Their transition from a much smaller private school was seamless. The school offers a challenging academic environment which is balanced by an array of sports, music, theatre, arts, outdoor ed, clubs, organizations, etc. There is something for everyone at Charles Wright Academy, including parents. If you want to be involved at your children's school and if you want to be a part of a "community", then CWA is the school for you and your family. I would highly recommend Charles Wright to any family who wants to provide their child/children with the best possible, most well-rounded education available in the greater Tacoma area. CWA's students come from all over the south sound, because it's worth it and that speaks volumes!

Posted November 18, 2010

I ve had a lot of experience in teaching (43 years). Charles Wright gives each student/parent a chance to become involved in an incredible learning environment. After spending 25 years in the public schools, I find it truly enriching and up lifting that I m able to spend quality time with each of my students as they have need. If a better learning opportunity exists, I don t know where you would find it. Administrators, teachers, and staff work together as a cohesive unit with the goal being to educate our students. We have set and reached a very high level competency for our students. The results on national tests (AP Calculus 40% above the national average) and in college performance (The grades students get at CWA compare very favorably to the grades they get in college) speak to the level of preparation each student attains. I came here to complete my 30-year teaching career and can t get myself to quit. What a wonderful place to teach.

Posted November 12, 2010

One of the most impressive things about Charles Wright Academy is that teachers have the flexibility to teach about subjects in ways that best meet the students' needs. Classrooms are filled with hands-on learning, laughter, discussion, reading, writing, and problem solving. We foster in students the skills to become lifelong self-directed learners who are interested in the world, through making learning fun and pulling back the curtain on what it means to learn.

Posted November 12, 2010

There are a lot of great public schools out there, but let's face it: Our public education system is broken. Public schools are suffering: overcrowded classrooms, inadequate facilities, not enough funding for textbooks, too much emphasis on tests, budget/staff cuts, a decrease in the arts, science, social studies, PE and computers. What draws many parents to CWA is what also drew me to work there. If parents need me, they call me up. If I need to talk to a parent, I can likely find them milling around after school - that's how involved our parent community is. Parents know their child is getting individualized attention with CWA's small classes. They know they are getting a well-rounded education with healthy exposure to the arts, science, technology, physical education -- things that are being cut back in other schools as emphasis has shifted to reading, writing and raising test scores. Yes, I teach there. So don't take my word. Schedule a visit, a tour. See for yourself. At CWA students work hard and develop habits that prepare them for high school, college and the "beyond" of adulthood. It's a place where genuine learning takes place for the sake of learning.

Posted November 11, 2010

We are the parents of two children at CWA and I am an alum, our affiliation with the school has been nothing short of spectacular. The kind of attention our lower schoolers have received have been of the highest quality. The administration and teachers are top notch. I highly recommend you taking a hard look at CWA.

Posted August 3, 2010

Exclusive and elitist? Hardly! I attended Charles Wright for my high school years and the majority of my tuition was paid by scholarship monies. I know many other students who also received assistance. It's true that there are many families with children at CWA who are well off, but that by no means indicates that ALL of them are rolling in money. CWA taught me to think critically, too look beyond the obvious answers, and to continually challenge myself to do more. I know that my life would be significantly different without these skills, and I am eternally grateful to CWA.

Posted April 29, 2010

Academically excellent but very exclusive and elitist.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 19, 2010

this is a great school it keeps its kids well rounded and hardworking, it also has extra activites for kids to have fun!

Posted March 31, 2010

I have had 2 children enrolled at Charles Wright Academy since 2004. I removed my Kindergartner after he was put in time out for 2hrs with no phone call to me or his mother. I have decided not to enroll my eldest son in Middle school due to the lack of consistent teaching methods and discipline. I caution any parent considering CWA to look beyond the pretty new buildings and ask why parents in record numbers are moving there children out of Charles Wright.

Posted February 15, 2010

My daughter joined CWA in pre-school. Initially, we were a bit worried about full day school for 4 year olds. However, after just a few days, I was amazed at how well thought out the curriculum really was. You could really see how well these little kids were being mentored. Yes the academics are important, but the CWA is more than just about academics. Its about personhood.

Posted November 29, 2009

My son was at Charles Wright for his high school years. I can't say enough good things about the quality of the teachers he had there, or the value of the entire experience. CWA completely prepared him for Whitman College. Although his attendance at CWA meant a long daily commute for us, we found it completely worth it.

Posted September 18, 2009

it is the best school in the state hands down

Posted May 1, 2009

I am so happy that my son attends Charles Wright. He enjoys his classes and he finds the work both challenging and rewarding. He feels the teachers are engaging and really care about the students

Asian 16% N/A
Two or more races 10% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 9%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Korean
Japanese
French
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Robert Camner
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • charleswright.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Performing arts
  • Science
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Industrial shop
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
SAT/ACT prep classes
College presentations or information sessions
College prep programs/courses during the year

7723 Chambers Crk Rd W